November 2015 Moms
Options

Bronchitis and 35 weeks pregnant

I think DD brought me home bronchitis from daycare last week. I've had a nasty cold for a few days but this morning my chest is burning and it feels like bronchitis. Just wondering if anyone knows of any at home remedies I can try since I'm 99% sure my dr will tell me to take Tylenol and vitamin C halls. DD has an appt with her dr on Wednesday so I will ask then if I'm not feeling better but just hoping for something to do in the meantime.

Re: Bronchitis and 35 weeks pregnant

• Options
    I was sick a few weeks ago, not bronchitis but very congested in my head and chest.  The only thing I did was steam my face.  Lots of steamy showers &  filling the sink up with hot water, towel over my head and lots of deep breaths.  Also took the washcloth and put it over my forehead and nose (where sinus cavities run) It really did help to break up the congestion.  Saline spray in my nose too.  Sorry you are sick, it is no fun this late in pregnancy.  I hope you feel better soon!

YCSWU 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB is in Africa for 2 weeks so that's not an option, hence waiting to see my family dr. But I know she most likely won't prescribe anything so I'm just looking for safe at home remedies to tough it out for 2 more days. I have GD but am otherwise having an easy pregnancy.
  • Options
    Doesn't your OB have a backup on call?  I used to get bronchitis a lot and it needs antibiotics if bacterial (although most cases are viral and you can treat at home).  Your PCP should be able to test for that, but the sooner the better if bacterial is suspected. 
  • Options
    Yes she has a back up but I haven't met him yet and he knows nothing about me. I'd prefer to wait for my family doctor and just suck it up for a couple days. I had bronchitis with DD and my family dr wouldn't prescribe anything then so I doubt she will this time. There was cough syrup a pharmacist said was safe in the 3rd trimester but I don't remember what brand it was.
  • Options
    I had bronchitis a couple of weeks ago. My ob gave me robitussin and didn't diagnose it and my pcp was full and I couldn't take the coughing anymore. I ended up going to an urgent care clinic where they tested me for Strep and it was negative, but got diagnosed with bronchitis. They gave me amoxicillin and that saved my life because the coughing was killing me and making my stomach extremely sore.
  • Options
    I had a bad cold when I was 35 weeks also. Lots of cough and congestion, pulled a muscle in my belly from coughing so much and it hurt so bad! My OB said it was safe to take sudafed and Tylenol. When I could t stand it anymore I would take just one sudafed (half dose) and it definitely helped.
  • Options
    modanz1 said:
    I was sick a few weeks ago, not bronchitis but very congested in my head and chest.  The only thing I did was steam my face.  Lots of steamy showers &  filling the sink up with hot water, towel over my head and lots of deep breaths.  Also took the washcloth and put it over my forehead and nose (where sinus cavities run) It really did help to break up the congestion.  Saline spray in my nose too.  Sorry you are sick, it is no fun this late in pregnancy.  I hope you feel better soon!

This, I also recommend using Eucalyptus essential oil if you can get a good one!