February 2016 Moms

Placental abruption????

Hi.. I'm 23wks and just recently found out I have a partial placenta abruption. I've only had some mild cramping, no bleeding thank god!! But I'm still very scared of the worst case scenario... And also the stories I've read online as well is anyone else experiencing this or has in the past?

Best Answer

• kbette12kbette12 member
    Answer ✓
    I had a partial placental abruption my 20th week and have never been so freaked out.  I went to L&D and the doctor said whatever you do, do not go onto Google.  You will not read anything positive, only horror stories.  They put me on pelvic rest for 3 weeks and told me to monitor my cramping and come straight back to L&D if I had anymore bleeding.  So many women carry full term and never have any other issues and they assured me that even though that part of the placenta will never "grow back" baby can function just fine with out it because the placenta continues to grow throughout pregnancy.  Thinking of you!

Answers

• I have no personal experience but I do know my mom had one with me. She had a major bleed when it happened to her. But everything was fine and I was born BIG and strong a few months later! I'm guessing hers was a partial, also, given that I continued to cook until after my due date.  FX for you!

• Loading the player...
  • No advice, but sending you virtual hugs!  
  • I'm sorry that's scary I hope for the best for you guys.
  • In good news, it's really good that they know about it already and are keeping an eye on it.  The worst case scenarios with placental abruption tend to happen when no one knows it's occurring.  Thinking of you and your little one and wishing you the best!
  • Thanks for the hugs and best wishes
  • Omg thanks for the reassurance.. Are they telling that you have a C-section? Just curious
  • No experience, but hugs! Keep us updated
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor has not suggested a c-section and I've expressed interest in an unmedicated birth.  She said as long as the placenta healed appropriately it shouldn't be an issue. She is watching for blood clots on U/S but she said usually partials early on have enough time to heal properly : ) 
  • Oh my I still haven't fully thought of the whole birth experience. I've done with and without medication but, always natural. This is my partners 1st son and I don't want my condition to rob us of that experience you know... Plus I'm terrified of surgery in general.
  • Trust me, no matter how this baby comes into the world, your partner is going to be super happy and excited!