August 2015 Moms
Options

Tell me

What's your birth story? I am always fascinated by others personal birth stories. Our babies will be asking us how it went down!

Mine started Saturday August 15 at 6:10 pm. I was watching a movie with DH when I had my first contraction. I thought it was Braxton hicks so I ignored it. It wasn't painful anyways. It continued on every 3-4-5-6 minutes apart until at 11 pm I told my DH we should go and just see if I'm dilated at all. We arrive, they check me and I'm open 2cm. Sweet. They hold me till 3:30am and I leave dilated at 3cm. My contractions stop till 9am the next day. I wake up to painful contractions. I have diarrhea and run to the bathroom all morning. At 11am I tell my DH I think we need to go to the hospital. He tells me no it's too soon. Like he would know!! At 1:20pm we finally step out of the house to go to the hospital. We stop by Sonic to get some burgers. We get to the hospital at 1:45pm. It takes 15 minutes for those people to let me in to L&D. -_- I change and lay down on the bed. They check me and see that I am open 7cm. My DH and I are pretty shocked. We didn't think I was that far along. We are wheeled into the room and I continue to have painful contractions that started to make me feel insane at the end. I didn't get the epidural. Every time my DH tried to touch me to comfort me I told him to never touch me again! I puked from the pain and let me tell you that was not fun! Once I was 10cm my water broke which felt like a big gush of water exploded between my legs. I pushed for 10-15 minutes and at 4:29pm my sweet DD was here!

Re: Tell me

• Options
    Which one? It might take awhile for all four.
  • Options
    irohspupilirohspupil member
    edited November 2015
    I'll play.

Around 6am on Monday 8/3 (39w2d), I woke up to sharp stabbing that lasted about a minute each time. I tried to sleep through it, thinking it was nothing, but felt restless. I got up around 6:45 and made some coffee. The pain started increasing in frequency, and I was having a hard time drinking my coffee or eating my breakfast. I decided to time the sensations, thinking that I might actually be in labor. They were coming every 4 minutes and lasting about 20 seconds. This might be it!

Without waking DH, I went to take a hot shower, assuming I wouldn't be able to later. I felt like the contractions had slowed down but were lasting longer. I finished washing up and woke DH, saying, "I think something might be happening." So we went ahead and got all of our stuff together for the hospital while I kept timing my contractions. They were now every 2.5 minutes lasting for about 40 seconds; the pain had increased dramatically and moved into my lower back. DH called our moms to let them know we were heading to the hospital. We left at about 8:30. Definitely the worst car ride in the world.

When I got to the hospital, I had started bleeding and was dilated to 6cm. Contractions were still coming roughly every 2 minutes, lasting about a minute. By noon, I was fully dilated and effaced. My OB broke my water which had meconium in it. She insisted on an internal fetal monitor which limited the movements I could make. So, with no meds and horrible pain in my back, I was told to start pushing. DH texted our parents that I had started pushing, so when two hours went by, they started freaking out at him over text (which I only learned later), thinking that something was wrong. DH didn't have time to text them because every time he picked up his phone between my contractions, I'd yell at him because I thought he was playing games. And I was in too much pain to care about our families. After two hours of pushing, my OB told me I had thirty minutes to get LO out or she'd roll me out for a c-section. Forty-two minutes later with the assistance of a vacuum and an oxygen mask because I was started to hyperventilate, LO was born at 2:42pm. I had a 1 degree tear with a few stitches. I felt every stitch!

She was whisked away from the room because her airways had meconium in them. DH went with her and told our families she had been born. She finally came back to me thirty minutes after her birth, all swaddled up. While I was trying to do skin on skin and get nursing down, a nurse came in asking if our families could come see us in the labor room. Hell no! Wait until we get moved into the mommy-baby rooms. The in-laws ended up leaving the hospital with hurt feelings. I didn't care. I finally had my baby and needed time with just me, her, and DH.

We got moved into the other rooms about an hour later. My family came to see us as soon as I had gotten on to the bed. DH's parents came back about thirty minutes after that. His mom had been crying which irritated me. Sorry, but y'all were warned it'd be a couple hours before we accepted visitors waaaaay before I went into labor.

The in-laws and their parents had made fun of me for saying I wanted to have a med-free birth. They were very condescending about it, so I was really proud of myself for going through with it despite the back labor.

Anyway. We ended up staying an extra night because we were struggling with nursing. At five days old, LO had to go back to the hospital for phototherapy. Now I have a beautiful 3 month old girl!

ETA: I'm a FTM, so now I know my future labors may be fairly short since this one was about 8 hours.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @banfrog as many as your in the mood telling! :x
  • Options
    Love it! @micshi Your next one will definitely be much quicker for sure! I went Med free also and even though it sucked so bad, it was very cool to feel everything and be aware of everything. I have a large family, and every woman had an epidural and they would also be condescending towards me about me wanting to give birth with no meds. Screw them all. Lol
  • Options
    banfrogbanfrog member
    edited November 2015
    My first was a pretty uneventful pregnancy, although I was really worried because I had a miscarriage at about 15w a year and a half prior (and I have a huge family history of late miscarriages and stillbirths on my mom's side). In my third trimester I started getting itchy, insanely itchy but my Dr and I wrote it off as stretching skin and possible allergies. At 37w I finally broke down and called in to L&D because I was so itchy I couldn't sleep and hadn't gotten more than 2 hrs at a time for quite a few days. They told me it was probably allergies and just try to sleep. They called me just after midnight, I guess my symptoms were mentioned to another Dr on call and he figured I should be seen asap. So DH and I went into L&D expecting to be told it was nothing and getting sent home. The nurse who met us definitely treated us like overly cautious first time parents. We opted to just wait in the exam room for my labs to get back, it was about an hour wait. The nurse came back and she was overly nice, not a good sign. Turns out I had cholestasis and I needed be induced. I got set up in a room and had monitors all over. Baby was okay, so they let me sleep (once they gave me IV meds for the itching) until 8 am. We decided to go with induction because I was already dilated 3 cm, so it favorable for it to work. They started me on pitocin in the morning and I labored until 8 pm. I dilated to about 5 or 6 cm but when they stopped the pitocin at 8 pm labor stopped. So baby was still doing good so they let me sleep and started again at 8 am the next morning. The labor got much more intense and they broke my water at noon. After that things get hazy. I know I threw up about then. I just remember it was time to finally push and I pushed for at least 2 hours but just before DS1 head crowned, my DH's cell phone rang. There was a moment of still silence as we all looked at him as he answered it! I heard him say "we're busy right now. I'll call you back." The moment he hung up DS1 head crowned and out he finally came at 5 pm. It had been all back labor and I had a lot of stitches but DS1 and I were fine. They kept us both and extra day to make sure there weren't any issues with my liver after delivery (I got an ultrasound post delivery to check on my liver and gall bladder) and DS1 had some issues with jaundice and keeping his temperature but that resolved quickly.

With my second I had cholestasis again but it was caught sooner so I was medicated and monitored ( NSTs 3 times a week). We had planned on another induction but he came on his own just before. In the evening on DH's birthday was getting some braxton hicks. At 11 pm I decided to have a warm bath to help ease the pain a little. At 1 am contractions picked up. 3 am we finally went in. DH actually asked me "are you sure you are in enough pain?" (He'll never get to live that one down lol). I started feeling like I needed to push on the 10 minute ride to L&D. We pulled up to the emergency entrance and DH asks "do you want me to drop you off or can you walk from the parking lot?" So he drops me off at the door and I slowly get in, as I'm moaning and groaning that the admittance clerk's eyes were getting bigger and bigger like he was afraid that he might have to deliver my baby. The clerk called up to L&D and maybe a minute later a nurse came running down the hall with a wheel chair (we called ahead so they knew we were coming but they also knew I was high risk so getting baby monitored was first priority). In the room they checked me and I was 6 cm but my contractions were a minute and a half apart. They managed to get my contractions to slow down. It didn't take too much more time to fully dilate and push. DS2 was born at 5 am.

With my third I had cholestasis again and again was medicated and monitored. I also had a velamentous cord insertion so there were concerns about his growth (but he exceeded expectations) and possible vasa previa (I was lucky and did not develop vasa previa). He was induced at 37w. We came in for induction at 8 am with pitocin. They broke my water at 11 am. Labor finally picked up at 12 pm and when they checked me I was at 6 cm. My Dr left expecting it to take a little longer but 17 mins later I had to push. My nurse pushed the emergency button on the wall and some other nurses rushed in but the nurse and DH delivered DS3. My Dr made it back for the placenta. I do remember though, that after DS3 was checked over, there was a fair amount of oohing and aahing at my placenta.

With my fourth it seemed that I had a reprieve of cholestasis. My Dr was cautious and had me do labs every other week in my third trimester, just in case. Good thing she did. I never got the itching like I had in the previous pregnancies but at my appointment at 37w6d my labs came back critical. I had my appointment in the morning and went about my day after. At about 4 pm my Dr called me and said I need to come in, we needed to do an induction asap. So we went in to L&D. They got me on pitocin at about 7 pm. I think they broke my water at about 10:30pm. It was a rough labor because LO wasn't quite positioned right and I couldn't get up and move around because of monitoring. DD was born just after midnight with 1 push. DH was in shock that we had a girl. After 3 boys, he just assumed it would be another boy. It was funny. He sat down in the chair after things started to settle down and said "well, this changes everything."

All kiddos are doing well and are growing so fast. I didn't have any epidural with any of my deliveries, not because I have taken any stance against it but because I'm afraid of needles and the thought of a needle in my spine was anxiety inducing for me.
  • Options

SO with my birth story we have to go back to week 30ish (29 maybe).  I was officially diagnosed with gestational hypertension even though I had been having high blood pressure for quite a while.  Also, I was swelling so bad.  Absolutely nothing helped and if it did it was purely temporary.  Anyways, I was told to go for twice weekly NSTs and growth scans.  I was told that they would try to hold off until 36 weeks to deliver my son but did not want to wait any longer as his growth slowed down significantly but he was still doing sort of well (practicing breathing, moving, etc).

So anyways it was on a Thursday when I had a higher than normal blood pressure reading at my OB visit and she scheduled me to be induced the following Friday.  She also told me to immediately report to Labor and Delivery (which sucked because my clinic is like a 30 min drive to the hospital ><).  Anyways, I drove there, they didn't think anything about my high blood pressure and they released me.  During the weekend I experienced some contractions, MORE swelling and just was absolutely miserable.  Monday I had my scheduled NST and growth scan.  During my NST they took my vitals three times.  The woman (she was super nice btw) said she was going to run me to L&D just to be checked out.  Ok fine.  So there I went again.  As I waited in the room three nurses came in.  I knew something was up then.  The head nurse took my hand and basically told me that my blood pressure was 172/102 and that I needed to immediately be placed on magnesium sulfate.  Also, I took a urine test prior to going to L&D and it had come back positive for Pre-E.  I was in TOTAL shock and I started shaking uncontrollably lol because I was like omg this is really happening (FTM here!!) 

I had also called my husband before going to L&D and told him what was going on but didn't think it was anything serious.  As soon as he walked in the room I told him that we were having the baby very soon like in the next few hours as I was going to be induced.  The look on his face was priceless lol.  But then he soon comforted me because again I was shaking that bad.

Fast forward, I was put on the magnesium sulfate and the Pitocin.  The contractions weren't THAT bad but I won't lie they were painful but bearable.  I didn't realize so much time had passed when I looked at the clock it was around 5ish the next morning.  So I decided to go ahead and get the epidural as countless women have told me how much their labors were painful and I just didn't feel like dealing with that pain (or finding out just how painful it would be).  Anyways, that's where everything went wrong.  My baby did not tolerate the epidural well at all.  His hb dropped and they had a very difficult time finding it on the Doppler.  Meanwhile, I'm going in and out of consciousness and my blood pressure is going up and down.  Needless to say, I had an emergency C-section.  They had to do some measures to revive my son but he was born right before 7 AM :).  **Also, note by me telling my epidural story please don't think I am for or against it, I'm just telling my experience.  I honestly will probably get another one later on down the road should we decide to have child # 2**

Unfortunately, with me being diagnosed with gestational hypertension and IUGR, he was born a little on the small side and had to do some time in the NICU (And also for other reasons).  I spent nearly a week in the hospital because my blood pressure would not go down at all (and other complications). 

Today, I have a healthy 3 going on 4 month old son who is hitting all of his milestones in a timely manner :).  My blood pressure is back to normal and I lost mostly all of the weight I put on (which was strictly water weight due to the swelling).  This birth was no joke!   I'm a little scared to have another baby later on down the road because I don't want this to happen again.  Hopefully it won't.  But for now hubby and I are focused on loving our son :)

• Options
    I was 4 days past due. Spent the day off at home with my husband, we actually planted flowers and had two ethnic meals in an attempt to induce labor.
    I'd felt funny all day but didn't notice contractions until 9 pm. I kept it a secret but began getting myself ready just in case. Checked the hospital bag, showered, straightened my hair, etc. At 11 pm I let my husband know I'd been loosely timing contractions and that it might be the real deal. At that point he took over timing with his watch and a notepad. So cute. It didn't take long to realize this was no joke. Something was happening. But I still wasn't sure it was labor. The pain primarily was in my back and but. Secretly I was worried I just needed to poop. But by 1am, the contractions were so bad I was in tears and they were coming every 2-3 min and lasting a minute. We went to the hospital - I was so scared they were going to look at me, laugh, and tell me to go home and poop. They met me with a wheelchair at the door. I didn't even make it up the elevator before a contraction had me in tears again. The nurse was taking me to triage and on the way asked what I was feeling. When I told her back/poop pain, she asked my due date. "3 days ago." At that point we skipped triage and went straight to a room. I was dialated to 6cm.
    I didn't want an epidural but had no idea I'd have such bad back labor and chickened out. The epidural kind of slowed progress and did little for the back labor. I was in labor until around 11am when it was time to push. LO came at 12:41pm. Luckily, the epidural worked as it should on the lady bits.
  • Options
    At 40wk3d at 8.45pm I felt my first contraction whilst eating a dominos pizza. I decided to get into bed to get some rest as I was told labour is a long process. Between 8.45-11.30 my contractions were every 3-4 mins and very painful so I decided to call my hospital, even tho DH wasn't convinced I. Was in labour or having "real contractions" They said to wait a hour and if it got worse to call back. During this time my mum called just to see how I was after speaking to her she arrived at my house and demanded I went to the hospital. DH still in disbelief was staring at the floor like a scared child! After arriving at the hospital at 12.30am I was 4cm dilated and they told me to go home and relax 12.50am. In the short journey home (10 mins) I walked in had a wee and then my waters broke on my sofa and I vomited all over DH! So he called for my sister to come and pick us up (he was panicked). Back at the hospital at 1.20am I was checked again and jumped up to 8cm. I then was walked into the delivery suite where I stripped off and got into a gown where DH informed me that my ass was out in which I replied "everything will be out in a minute so don't worry!". Between 2am-4.10am contractions grew stronger and quicker too quick for me to have any medication so I was only given gas and air which made me dizzy so I got rid of it. And at 4.27am my beautiful baby boy Isaiah arrived. 7.5 hour labour was enough for me!!
  • Options
    @marieva you are one tough chick! I pray that your next pregnancies will be far kinder and easier for you. You are one tough cookie! And you have your beautiful baby for all that you went through!
  • Options
    @mgarrett921 you know, I didn't know I was in labor for 5 hours. And all the nurses and doctors at my appointments would say "trust me, you'll know when your in labor". Not true!
  • Options
    @talisha1992 my DH didn't believe me either. Haha stinkers. Like they would know what your feeling! That's a quick labor! Awesome! :x
  • Options
    @vita92 my DH thought that I wasn't in labour unless I was in agony on the floor and in tears. When the truth was I didn't make a sound during my labour and even my midwife didn't believe I was in labour until she put monitors on me. When LO was pushed out she was on the other side of the room drinking a cup of tea (were English lol) she had to run to catch him because he came out all in one push.
  • Options
    @talisha1992 we are the exact same on that sister!
  • Options
    Here's my story...
    My original DD was 7/27 so when I found out I was pregnant back in November, I joined and followed to July Board. I literally had an incredibly smooth pregnancy, I got nauseated and sick only 2 times. My worst symptoms were swollen feet and hands, I had the pregnancy carpal tunnel. I continued working my 40 hour a week job until 3 days before I was to be induced. for the last 12 weeks of my pregnancy i was told I was measuring big, they were estimating my son to be 9 or more pounds.  I had a couple growth scans and was told to prepare mentally for a c-section due to how big he was measuring. Well 7/27 came and went... and no pregnant lady wants to go past 40 weeks. At my next appointment I was 41 weeks and my doctor scheduled an induction, this little guy just wasn't ready to come out. On Monday I started to lose piece of my plug but didnt think much of it because I literally had no symptoms of labor starting anytime soon. Wednesday I went into the hospital 5 days later to start my induction. I went in at 7pm that night to get Cyotec. I was given my first dose at around 9pm and started having contractions that were too light for me to even notice, I just saw them on the monitors. I got another cyotec around 1 or 2 am and then shortly after I felt a little trickle so I went to the restroom. I saw the last of my plug and let the nurse know. Then between 3 and 8am things got going. I was having back to back contractions and couldnt sit still, I walked around the room. In the meantime DH and his mom were dead asleep. I was in a lot of pain but wanted to tough out the epi a long as possible. I finally gave in and got a dose of stadol after the nurse asked me 5 times if I wanted any relief. That lasted for almost 2 hours and I got some rest. I ended up getting a second does of the stadol around 6am which lasted just over an hour. My doctor finally arrived for the morning around 8 and that's when I opted for the epi. I was only about 3cm when I got it but couldn't handle the pain anymore. After the epi, I slept until about noon when they check I was at a 6. My doctor came in to break my water, only to find out that it had already broken... the last of my plug early in the morning was actually my water breaking. So then she put my on the pitocin to speed things along. Around 4 or I got to 10 and it was time to push. I ended up pushing for about 45 minutes before my doctor made the call that I needed a C-section, which surprised the nurse but I said ok and we went on to the surgery room. LO was sunny side up and just not descending properly. He was born at 6:30pm perfectly healthy. A c-section wasn't what I wanted but it all ended up going so well. By the time I got to the surgery room I was exhausted and just ready for it to be over with. LO was born 7 lbs 13 oz and was 21 & 3/4 inches long. I was up and walking the next morning and ended up leaving the hospital early since  I was doing so well. I was told that I have a pretty high pain tolerance. Who knew?
    It was of course all worth it in the end!