November 2015 Moms

Prelabor starting and stopping

Two days ago I had an appointment, and my midwife scheduled me for an inducement on 11/4 (EDD 11/8) due to hypertension. Well, that night--or rather, very early the next morning--I started having contractions. I went into L&D when my contractions had been consistently 2-4 minutes apart for about 2 hours. I thought, great, she is coming on her own, and I won't have to do pitocin! I found out I had made a little progress, but was sent home (I had gone from "barely effaced" and "a fingertip" the day before to "75% effaced" and "1, almost 2, centimeters.")

All in all, I had contractions for about 18 hours yesterday, and today nothing. Have others had a similar experience? Is it common for prelabor to get going like that and then just stop? Should I expect it to start up again soon, or could I possibly go another week without any contractions?

Re: Prelabor starting and stopping

• This can happen for days/weeks. Your body is just preparing for labor. Baby will come when they are ready, unless you're induced. Good luck!
  • Yep welcome to the wonderful world of Prodromal Labor.  Like PP said it can (and often does) go on for days if not weeks.   It can be physically and emotionally draining if you let it (BTDT twice now) so try to rest as much as you can.   It CAN turn into active labor anytime so it's a good idea to get checked if you aren't sure.   Good luck mama!
  • Loading the player...
  • I will try my best not to get over-anxious, then. Although it might be too late for that. ;-) Thanks!
  • That's pretty common. Some women have early labor on and off for days or weeks. Hopefully it turns to the real thing soon for you.
  • I've had early labor going on for a couple weeks now.
  • Me too I swear it's draining I'm having contractions every 3 minutes but I can't feel them I'm dialated to a 3
  • Count me in on this crazy on/off stuff.. Contractions non stop for hours or days and then they just stop for like an hour and then back on again...smh these babies are silly
  • Started today at the hospital.during monitoring they basically told me if I can't get rid of them on my own in an hour not to wait any longer and come in to L&D other than that they said it's pretty normal.
  • gipfish said:

I swear the only thing that makes my contractions stop is the contraction monitor at L&D. I was having them again all afternoon and evening yesterday. Took lots of walks. Drank through my 24 mL water bottle about 7 or 8 times. Contractions 3 minutes apart consistently for 2 hours and getting stronger the more I drank and walked. Went in to L&D, and had like 2 mild contractions the whole time I was there. The nurse and midwife seemed annoyed that I had wasted their time, and I got a speech from each of them about how they were just BH and you can tell if it's BH because if you walk and drink water they go away. I wanted to cry. My body is trying to make a fool out of me. How embarrasing!

Ugh I hate nurses like that. I'd remind them what their damn job description entitles! I've had that issue what seems like my whole pregnancy, all these symptoms and then once I get there, POOF! I'm healed. *eye roll*
  • gipfish said:

I swear the only thing that makes my contractions stop is the contraction monitor at L&D. I was having them again all afternoon and evening yesterday. Took lots of walks. Drank through my 24 mL water bottle about 7 or 8 times. Contractions 3 minutes apart consistently for 2 hours and getting stronger the more I drank and walked. Went in to L&D, and had like 2 mild contractions the whole time I was there. The nurse and midwife seemed annoyed that I had wasted their time, and I got a speech from each of them about how they were just BH and you can tell if it's BH because if you walk and drink water they go away. I wanted to cry. My body is trying to make a fool out of me. How embarrasing!

I'm so scared that this is going to happen to me. I've been having contractions since Halloween morning. But I'm trying to wait it out until my doctors appointment tomorrow, because the hospital is 45 minutes away and I don't want to waste my time or gas
  • Hate it! Been having contractions , pelvic pressure, and cramping for 3 days. We moved so I am an hour from the hospital :/. I'm always waiting for them to get unbearable for me to go to the hospital but I'm really confused as to when to leave to go to the hospital. I asked my dr and she said I'll just know. Oh ok, let's hope so....
  • Friday night 10/30 started having some false labor lasted all weekend while I was having them. 2-3 minutes apart and only lasting 30 seconds max. I called my OB they said if I go in they would induce me because I am 4 cm dilated. I don't want to be induced so I said no and have just been dealing. I am in the parking lot for the OBs office so we will see what he says.
  • Prodromal labor for a month now.  My uterus literally feels bruised.  I finally progressed at my MW appt yesterday, a stretchy 3 CM and she stripped my membranes.  Lost my plug and had bloody show this morning, but the contractions are irregular.  She will strip me again next Tuesday and likely just send me over to L&D if I haven't had her by then.  I am so done with this start/stop shit.  By this point with my other girls I had a baby in my arms.  
  • Hate it! Been having contractions , pelvic pressure, and cramping for 3 days. We moved so I am an hour from the hospital :/. I'm always waiting for them to get unbearable for me to go to the hospital but I'm really confused as to when to leave to go to the hospital. I asked my dr and she said I'll just know. Oh ok, let's hope so....

I'm also an hour from the hospital. My dr said to go when the contractions are 5 mins apart and 1 min long for an hour. Mostly I'm worried about the fact that when they're that close together, I'll have 12+ contractions in the car where I can't move. But I think I'd rather labor at home as long as possible than in the hospital so I'll go for it.
  • Yeah false labour is an absolute bitch :-( and a complete tease!!!!!
  • gipfish said:

What your nurses said to you were right. If contractions go after drinking water they are more likely to be BH. Same thing happened to me & was told the same.
    Trust me you will know when your having the real deal whether your a FTM or TTM.
    Just try and relax & if your contractions are coming every 5 minutes then you may want to head upto L&D.
  • gipfish said:

What your nurses said to you were right. If contractions go after drinking water they are more likely to be BH. Same thing happened to me & was told the same.
    Trust me you will know when your having the real deal whether your a FTM or TTM.
    Just try and relax & if your contractions are coming every 5 minutes then you may want to head upto L&D.
    But she did that. That's what she said - she was walking and drank a ton of water and they didn't go away. That's why she went to L&D.
  • Charismatic69Charismatic69 member
    edited November 2015
    rachswi said:

gipfish said:

But she did that. That's what she said - she was walking and drank a ton of water and they didn't go away. That's why she went to L&D.
    Oh I see. Sorry I didn't that she'd put that.
    ETA: to say I'm a dumb arse lol. I bloody quoted what she said and in it she said about drinking & walking.