November 2015 Moms

Weird fear - appreciate advice from moms that have had vaginal birth and C section!

So...I'm now 40 weeks 2 days. I'm planning on VBAC unless I hit 41 weeks and then I'll be a repeat C section (my OB prefers not to do inductions for VBAC, and with a 2 vessel cord waiting longer to deliver gets a little scary).

I'm weirdly comfortable with repeat C section, but I'm suddenly terrified of having a vaginal birth. I know it's better for me and baby, but I really am afraid of having a vaginal delivery. I guess I'm worried about tearing, and sex after, and silly things like that. And maybe partly just that I don't know what to expect in terms of recovery (control freak). Any words of advice to get over it would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Weird fear - appreciate advice from moms that have had vaginal birth and C section!

• I'll go for a VBAC any day over another csection. I guess one way to look at it is that every recovery is different even though you've had a csection before it could still be a different recovery from your previous. There is also a board specifically for VBAC that you might want to check out. Lots of great advice and experience there.
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • I think those fears are totally natural to have.
    My doula told me a lot of women show up in labor and want a CS because it's what they know.

But you couldn't pay me to have a RCS over at least attempting a VBAC.

Talk to your doctor about your fears. Write out a birth plan for both possibilities and talk about what is is you want. Sometimes just expressing those fears will help.
  • Loading the player...
  • arwestover3arwestover3 member
    edited November 2015
    I just had my VBAC today! I already feel a million times better than I did with my c-section. It's not a walk in the park either way, and there were definitely moments when I just wanted the c-section, but it's not like those are anywhere near painless either! And now I have the added reassurance that my body really can do this; I went into labor on my own and the meds had almost worn off by the time I was pushing her, so I felt it all, and it was beautiful :)

(Edited because I'm exhausted and can't type on my phone)
  • I was really hoping for a VBAC this time, but my placenta previa had other ideas. I had the same exact feeling you are describing some days, then the next day I would be afraid of the CS again (I had 4 weeks for my feelings to go back and forth on this).
    With your first child there is not a "comfortable " choice because you have done neither before. If you wanted a VBAC up until now, my guess is that it is the fear of delivery and the unknown that is making you question the decision. Having just had a repeat CS, I really wish I could of had a VBAC. There is no question in my mind now.
    Also if you are planning on any other children the number of past CS does raise your risk for complications.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't have any c section.experience but I can tell you after 2 vaginal deliveries I feel weird;ly confident about it now. My first was.a sore recovery but this time I was walking, sitting, standing just fine 24 hours later...I didn't even feel like I had delivered. a baby. So it really varies I guess. They give you plenty of numbing sprays etc. For any pain down there after. Its not that bad.
  • Honestly, the thing I learned most from my VBAC--go with your instincts, and do what feels best to you. The most important thing is for you to not regret your choices. Even if something happens that is not the way you want it, make sure that you are the one making the decision. I planned a natural labor, but when my contractions became unbearably hard and too close, I chose an epidural, and I don't regret it at all. It was a decision that was about me and my baby, and not what anyone else thought of me or expected or anything. And it was amazing!
  • I have had both a vaginal birth and a c section and I have to say that, for me, vaginal birth was a whole lot better.  It hurts in the moment, but I healed up really quickly.  The c section took a lot longer to heal and the little things like sitting up, sneezing, coughing, etc.. were awful for a while after the birth.  it was easier for me to take care of the new baby after the vaginal birth.