Breastfeeding
Options

baby/pediatric scale recommendation needed

Hello Ladies,

I'm a FTM and I am looking for recommendations for a pediatric scale for weighing my 5 week old DD. The short version of the back story is that DD was born at 37 weeks, was tongue tied and did not latch well. Because of this, she lost 16% of birth weight in the first week and it took her until a month old to gain it back. I've been doing as much nursing as I can but she still won't latch for very long so I'm pumping and giving her bottles. The doctor has given the OK to reduce the number of bottles and only offer her the breast at every other feeding. However, to make sure DD isn't going backwards, I need to weigh her every 48 hours. The doctor (and I) don't want to be taking her into the office that is full of sick kids every couple days so I need to get a scale for home. I purchased one from Babies R Us but when I weigh DD on it I get readings that are supper variable within just a couple minutes. Does anyone have a brand suggestion for a reliable scale that can be used for weighing a little one? Thanks in advance!

Re: baby/pediatric scale recommendation needed

• Options
    This sounds really crazy, but I use a food scale. The baby scales i was looking at were all much more expensive and got really bad reviews. My food scale goes to 1/8 of an ounce, cost about $20, goes up to 15lbs, and is actually really accurate. I don't remember exactly what brand we have, but I got the recommendation from a friend and just went to bed bath and beyond and picked one.
  • Options
    @nbpa3027 what do you put your baby in on the scale? I thought about using my food scale but I couldn't think what to put baby in except a baking dish....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't judge, but with my older ones I used a cutting board or baking sheet covered with a receiving blanket. With this one we have upgraded to one of my kids plastic toy storage buckets/bins. Not the most glamorous, but worked well for us.
  • Options
    nbpa3027 said:

Don't judge, but with my older ones I used a cutting board or baking sheet covered with a receiving blanket. With this one we have upgraded to one of my kids plastic toy storage buckets/bins. Not the most glamorous, but worked well for us.

Haha! I think that's genius actually. We've been using a storage basket but it's hard for her to sit up in it. I think a baking sheet is super smart!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15