Babies on the Brain

Pacifier Questions

Attention current mom's or mom's to be. What are your thoughts on Pacifiers vs. Soothies? Pros, Cons? Good or bad experiences? Let me know!

Re: Pacifier Questions

• My daughter (7 months) is a thumb sucker. She took pacifiers briefly, but they were never used excessively and I tried to push back starting one until nursing was firmly established (about a week old). She never really took to the pacifier since she liked her thumb more. I'll probably have to deal with weaning her from thumb sucking, so I'm not looking forward to that.

My nephew (almost 3 years now) never used one, hated being offered one, and was not a thumb sucker. He tended to have more trouble self soothing, but is fine now and has not had to go through "withdrawal."

My niece (13 months) used one from early on. She loves it. Works great for her. Downside is that she would lose it at night and wake up crying; and now my SIL is trying to wean her from it, which can be a struggle.

So, ultimately, whatever you choose, you'll have a set of good and bad baggage to go along with it. And it does have a lot to do with the child: some take to it wonderfully, others resist it with a passion, and others will just use their own thumbs instead!
  • Both of my kids took them (DD still has one at 2 and I'm fine with it). Weaning them off isn't an easy process, but they come in very handy when an infant isn't hungry and just wants to suck. Like PP said though, it really depends on the child. Some want nothing to do with a pacifier.
  • Loading the player...
  • Whatever you choose just wean them off as early as you can. If they keep anything, thumb or pacifier, for too long it can really mess up their teeth and cause you to spend a lot of money on ortho in the long run. Look up "open bite", not a fun thing to have ;)
  • lkozio22 said:
    Attention current mom's or mom's to be. What are your thoughts on Pacifiers vs. Soothies? Pros, Cons? Good or bad experiences? Let me know!
    My daughter and son would only take Advent brand pacifiers. They hated the straight style of the soothie. It depends on the kid.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers