April 2015 Moms
Options

Flu shot???

astrom88astrom88 member
edited October 2015 in April 2015 Moms
My LO turns 6 months on Friday and has her well check that same day. Dr. is recommending the flu shot. It scares me to think that on Thursday she isn't legally allowed to have the shot because she isn't old enough but Friday is ok. What are you mommas planning for the flu shot/season?

Re: Flu shot???

• Options
    My LO will be 6 mos on the 21st. His appt is the 22nd. I'll definitely be getting him vaccinated.
  • Options
    My LO is 6 months on Friday. I have an appointment Monday for his flu shot! He had been getting his physical and vaccines a week early since his 2 month appointment had to be a week early. They just keep us going in early for those.

I think it is important to protect them from the flu. My husband and I already got ours. Unfortunately, a large portion of my family is anti flu shot. Since they won't help me protect him, it is even more important to me that he gets vaccinated.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LOs 6 month appointment is on the 28th. She will be receiving her next set of vaccinations as well as the flu shot at that time. She goes to daycare 3 days a week, as does her brother. There is no way I wouldn't get her a flu shot. 
  • Options
    My LO turned 6 months on the 3rd, and she had her 6-month vac. plus the flu shot. She's fine. I have to go back in 30 days for another part of the flu shot (I think when they're this little they give them a different dose at different times, etc). Just my thinking, but my pediatrician definitely recommends the flu shot! I always ask doctors, "Would you do this for your child?" and their answer is usually a good indicator as what I should be doing and not doing. I've never had the flu shot personally, but I'll be getting one this year! Not worth it to potentially getting sick and passing it on the my DD.
  • Options
    We did everything but the flu shot at 6 mo
  • Options
    We did her regular vaccines as well as the first half of her flu shot. She's gotta go back in a month to get her second half. My DD is in daycare 5 days a week, so wouldn't want to risk her getting the flu. My pediatrician highly recommended it for all children over 6 months.
  • Options
    We did not do the flu shot. personally am anti flu shot which is why we skipped. If you have reservations you can always wait for the shot
  • Options
    I have never gotten a flu shot. I always have been against them except for now. I have been sick a lot since LO is in daycare and don't want to take any chances!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Planning to get the flu shot for my baby at her next appointment which is the exact day she turns 6 months. The flu freaks me out in babies. 

ETA: I will have to double check with her dr that it is advisable to get it at the same time as her other 6 month vaccines. I can report back here after. 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    ^^ we didn't do the flu shot but our dr had said they usually give it the same time as rest of 6 month shots. If you plan on going for it then you shouldn't have a provlem getting it that day
  • Options
    We got them all at once. They have studied baby's reactions to shots and the number in one day doesn't increase their stress reaction. So it is better to get them in one day if you are going to do it. Spreading them out causes more of a stress reaction.
  • Options
    I have done my research. Both my own and my husband's, who is an MD. No scientific research has been done on changing the schedule of vaccines. Doctors are doing it because they feel it's better than patients not getting them at all. It's unfortunate they are bowing to that pressure.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    So I need to update- my daughter's 6 month appointment was yesterday. I got my flu shot while I was there and asked my dr about giving one to my baby. She made a face like "tough call" and she said "Well, you know, 6 months is the YOUNGEST possible age that you can give them. And you're still breastfeeding so you will be passing antibodies onto her. I would say not to get it." I asked her if she should not get it at all, or if she should get it later in the season and she advised me not to get it at all.

So thought I should update you guys on that and let you know that we didn't get her the flu shot with her other vaccines. To be clear, I am personally not anti-flushot in any way, and I would have definitely have had it given to my daughter if I got the green light from my dr. She was hesitant so I went with her recommendation. From everything I've researched, most experts think it's advisable for 6 month olds to receive the flu shot. 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    We had our 6 month wellness check yesterday as well my husband and I both got our flu shot as well as baby, his pedi was excited he could get it! We do have to go back in 4 weeks so baby could get the second dose of the flu shot which that kinda blows since I hate taking him to get shots, but worth it in the end!