Breastfeeding
Options

Shallow latch?

Does anyone have any tips on how to correct a shallow latch? I am meeting with a lactation consultant on Wednesday, but in the meantime, I'm in a lot of pain whenever she nurses. She will be two weeks on Wednesday and her latch is getting worse.

She doesn't have a tongue tie and she isn't having any trouble getting plenty of milk.

Any suggestions or resources would be much appreciated.

Re: Shallow latch?

• Options
    My LO is 6 works and has a tendency to shallow latch as well. I've just kept correcting until she gets it right. It sounds silly but I 'tease' the breast a little. Rub it on her chin to get to open wide and then put as much in her mouth as I can. If she pulls back and gets a shallow latch I will rub her chin a bit with my finger to try to get her to reposition. If she won't, I break her latch and start over. She's getting better :)

Good luck!!
    Married DH 08.28.10
    Pregnancy #1: BFP 04.10.11 EDD 12.23.11 DD1 Born 12.4.11
     Pregnancy #2: BFP 5.12.14 MC 5.20.14 @ 5wk4d
    Pregnancy #3: BFP 11.1.14 EDD 7.5.15 MC 11.13.14 @ 6wk4d
    Pregnancy #4: BFP 1.31.15 EDD 10.5.15 DD2 Born 9.23.15

• Options
    baby2teamsbaby2teams member
    edited November 2015
    I just had an appointment with an LC for the same thing and it is helping after 1 session. Best tips I got: hold baby at boob level, I had to prop my boppy with another pillow to basically rest my boobs on the boppy. Second was to keep the head back and chin up. Also we are doing finger suck training, you may want to look into that, it helps train the baby to latch better and use the tongue underneath to suck. Also, after 1 min if it still hurts, I delatch and try again. I find if my LO is too hungry it all goes downhill so I try to feed more frequently so he's not pissed. I hope your LC appt goes well!