February 2016 Moms

Updated- Bumpy Pregnancy but Positive Thinking

mphillips2mphillips2 member
edited November 2015 in February 2016 Moms
Update: My 3 hour glucose came back in the normal range. So I was cleared for gestational diabetes. I had to go back to FMM to finish my level 2 ultrasound (they couldn't get all the pictures) yesterday. I thought it was weird but the nurse said she was going to go look to see if she got everything after the ultrasound and it took her like 20 minutes.. She came back with the doctor who said we have IUGR which can just mean that the baby is genetically small but he is concerned that isn't the case because when they did the Doppler on the embilical cord the diastole ( when baby's heart is at rest) blood flow was very low. They now want me to go weekly for an ultrasound to check the blood flow because if it gets too low they will do a steroid blast and take her by c section. I'm kind of in a state of shock. I am 28 weeks 3 days, and wondering if anyone else is going through or has gone through this too.

Previous Post-

I'm working hard at staying positive but I keep having negative news come as soon as I get used to the previous batch. I'm currently 26 weeks and 1 day.

It all starts with the fact that I have uterine didelphis (two uteri, two cervixes, etc.) it puts me at risk for preterm labor, and a restricted growth for baby. I knew this from the beginning. I struggled some to get my OB on the same page as me about monitoring me but that was behind us.

Then at 20 weeks I had to go to the ER because my blood pressure spiked and was 157/105. They monitored me but then sent me home. I am now on blood pressure medication with gestational hypertension.

At this point they sent me to a doctor of Fetal and Maternal Medicine. He told us that he was very concerned that at some point I will develop PreEclmpsia because of my blood pressure. He wants me to have a test where I wear a belt to check fetal movements and heart rate once a week from 28 weeks on. He is also concerned that because of the space restriction and blood pressure that the baby will be small. He wants an ultrasound done every four weeks to check her growth. He then proceeded to tell me because of the risks he didn't want me to go past 38 weeks so if I can make it that far they will take her, but he didn't see me making it that far. He seemed to think I will be looking at 32-38 weeks. He wanted me and my Ob to heavily monitor for preterm labor and for PreEclampsia. This whole trip was a shock and when I saw my Ob last week she went over everything again. It has taken a while but I've gotten use to the fact that we are just going to keep her in there growing as long as she can.

Now that I am use to all this new info. I went last week to have my glucose challenge test. They called me 3 days later to tell me that my number was very high so I had to do the 3 hour glucose challenge test yesterday. Now I'm looking at possibly having gestational diabetes too. I'm focusing very hard on the fact that other than being a little petite baby girl is doing fabulous. Her kicks bring me reassurance. At this point I'm trying to stay positive but feeling like what else can go wrong, and hoping these problems don't start effecting her. I'm also praying she makes it to the 37 weeks so she can grow and develop and because I have nothing ready (mentally, or physically) to have her in such a short time.

Re: Updated- Bumpy Pregnancy but Positive Thinking

• Sending positive thoughts your way!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hope everything works out for you and baby! T&p
  • Loading the player...
  • Hugs! Sending lots of prayers and positive vibes your way.
  • are high blood pressure, increased risk of pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes all linked to one another?

It sounds like a lot to take in, but it seems like your doctors now have a solid plan for monitoring you and baby to make sure everything continues as smoothly as possible.

Try to be positive and I'll be thinking good thoughts for you and baby!

*Kate*

February 2016

• I'm sorry you're facing such a rough pregnancy. It is commonish to fail the one hour and to pass the 3 hour glucose test.
  • Thinking positive thoughts for you, hopefully everything is able to be managed and in your control soon :)
  • Sending positive thoughts your way! With my first pregnancy I started with gestational hypertension that evolved into pre e as well as an IUGR baby and all thankfully turned out fine. Try to stay positive knowing that your doctors have you and the baby's best interest in mind! Hopefully nothing else comes up for you and you can enjoy those baby kicks until she is full term :). Good luck to you!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I can empathize. It felt like one thing after another with my first. It all turned out ok, though. I hope everything turns out well for you, too. Wishing you and your baby girl the very best! <3
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • On the bright side, it looks like you're being closely monitored, so that's great.  If the g.diabetes or preeclampsia turn out to be an issue, you'll know right away. 

You're past the viability mark, so although your baby girl might need some extra attention if she is born early, she will likely survive and thrive.

I had my son at 36 weeks.  It was due to a complication that was previously undetected and I had been having a healthy pregnancy up to that point.  It was very scary, but at 36 weeks, he was fully formed, was 6 lbs, and learned to nurse right away like a champ. 

I guess my point is that preterm birth is not ideal, but keep positive because it's not a death sentence.  I'm guessing your OB has already given you information on whether you should go directly to a different hospital that has a Level III NICU (if your hospital isn't equipped to handle preemies) if you go into labor before a certain point?  If not, that may be a question you'll want to ask. 

• I'n so sorry you're going through this. It does seem like a lot. As far as the Preclampsia I have had it both past pregnancies and doc is almost 100% sure it will be back again this time so I will be getting my tubes tied this time because my past history. Anyways I wanted to say try not to worry too much with the BP/preclampsia. As long as they are monitoring you regularly you should be fine. The moment it looks unsafe they will take baby out but by that time you will probably be at least 32 weeks and baby can be taken care of with no serious complications. My first DS was born at 32 weeks and was 5 lbs 2 oz and no complications whatsoever. Other DS was born at 37 weeks and was 5 lbs 12 oz. Again no complications, both preclampsia so hope this is a little comfort
  • I know thats alot to take in.  Just keep focusing on the positive.  You've got a healthy baby girl in there and sounds like your doctors have a solid plan to help you as best they can.  Thats such a blessing!  Hang in there mamma!
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow, you've been through a lot with this pregnancy already.  I'm so sorry to hear it hasn't been as smooth sailing for you as it has been for others.  But like others have said, you've gotten this far, so regardless, your outlook is very good!  Best of luck.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Quite a challenging road, indeed. And you two can do it! You monitoring all of this and preparing is the best you can do. And thinking positive thoughts, yes. T&Ps from me!
    S & A married 8.12.2013
    Expecting Saulie O 2.12.2016
  • keep us updated on the gestational diabetes news, ok?  Hopefully things will start to turn your way with this pregnancy soon!
  • Well... Maybe look at a silver lining of you are running out of problems to have?
  • This has basically been both of my pregnancies. I wish that I could just have a regular pregnancy, but it's not meant to be for me. I'm the same as you, every time I think we're in the clear we hit another stressful obstacle. I'm currently being monitored by 4 separate doctors, and I feel like all I ever do anymore is go to the doctor. I'm trying to focus on the fact that so far the babies seem healthy (I'm having twins), but it's hard when I feel like every two weeks I'm facing another doctor who tells me all of the risks. Hang in there!
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • ** Totally Lurking** I'm glad to read that things are going better for you. I hope that everything works out well for you and that you make it to term and have a healthy, happy and beautiful baby. Keep up the positive attitude and many blessings, prayers, much love and support your way.
  • I wanted to update everyone. My three hour glucose test came back normal! I was ecstatic!! Thursday I had to go in to my doctors because I blew up like a balloon while at work (all of a sudden couldn't take my rings off, and face got puffy). They did a batch of blood work and another 24 hour urine. The swelling is a little better but it's too soon to hear about tests. I truly appreciate all of the positive thoughts and prayers and the notes of encouragement from everyone. It really makes me feel better that I'm not alone.

Checking in again, specifically to this news here. Were all your tests normal? How do you feel today?
  • I wanted to update everyone. My three hour glucose test came back normal! I was ecstatic!! Thursday I had to go in to my doctors because I blew up like a balloon while at work (all of a sudden couldn't take my rings off, and face got puffy). They did a batch of blood work and another 24 hour urine. The swelling is a little better but it's too soon to hear about tests. I truly appreciate all of the positive thoughts and prayers and the notes of encouragement from everyone. It really makes me feel better that I'm not alone.

Checking in again, specifically to this news here. Were all your tests normal? How do you feel today?
    I don't have results yet ;( The swelling started Thursday so I turned in the 24 hour urine on Friday. Hopefully I hear back today or tomorrow. I'm still a little swollen and still feeling blah and tired but all things that are normal in moderation.
  • @mphillips2 keep us posted once you get them? I'm hoping you stay on the positive side of things and that the only good news coming is good news!! T&P.
  • you might want to consider drinking an alkaline water, more expensive, but would help you overall and baby too
  • Anaelsea said:

you might want to consider drinking an alkaline water, more expensive, but would help you overall and baby too

I have never heard of alkaline water what does it do or help with?