March 2016 Moms

HELP! STRETCHMARKS!

cnaluycnaluy member
edited October 2015 in March 2016 Moms
What are the best creams to put on your skin, I can buy at the pharmacy to avoid anymore stretch marks

Re: HELP! STRETCHMARKS!

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, sadly, stretch marks cannot be warded off with lotions, oils, creams, etc. The marks are where a deeper layer of skin called the dermis, which has your connective tissues, has torn. No cream can penetrate to that.

I've heard keeping hydrated can help--but from what I've read, you can really only wait for them to fade.

• Even if they don't work, I still feel better putting it on and it really helps for an itchy tummy! I like after a shower when I put it on and my bump looks all shiny lol I have heard coconut oil is good to use.
  • I bought one at Motherhood maternity, its "stretch mark" cream and is apparently supposed to help your body bounce back faster after. Honestly I just bought it because my stomach was itchy and it smelled really nice. Sure helps with the discomfort of stretching though!
  • My OB recommended coconut oil, so that's what I'm using. Got it from Costco for $20 for 2.
  • I'm using some body oil just to help with the itching, like @crcosmetics said. It's the Mama Bee Lemon oil.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Like everyone else said, really you either get them or you don't. I actually think (like everything else body-wise) the things you eat/drink affect them way more than topical products. Lots and lots of healthy fats and oils (omega 3, nuts, avocados, etc.) and tons of hydration. Might not prevent them entirely but helps for healthy skin which might help a little.
  • I think someone told me it also has to do with how fast you are gaining weight.  The faster you gain, the easier it is to get them (your skin has less time to adapt to the skin change).  For me personally, the rate of weight gain is a bit hard to control (since I have no self-discipline) so I got a crap load of stretch marks.  I gained like 50lbs and was a walking whale.  I know people say wear it with pride but honestly I was not so proud of it.  The good thing is... they really do fade over time.  I also told myself that I typically go for tankinis anyway so the only person who sees them is DH and he knows if he makes any semi-bad comments about them, he will get the deadly stare (and possibly tears). :) 
  • I agree with the PPs. You will either get them or you won't. It's just genetics. I only gained 26 with DS (not quickly) and still got a bunch. They have faded a lot but I still wear a tankini. I would recommend lotion for the itching.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No matter how slowly or quickly you gain they're hereditary. So, like pp have stated, if you're going to get them, you're just going to get them. None in the women in my family have them. I gained a fast 65 lbs in my 1st pregnancy and never got them. I still have none to this day. Varicose veins are much like stretch marks- hereditary. My grandmother had them, well, I got them too. Honestly, I'd much rather have stretch marks. At least you can put a shirt over those! Your whole leg covered in painful, bulging veins? Well that's a whole different issue lol.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Weirdly, I didn't get any on my stomach with my first baby, but as soon as my milk came in, my boobs immediately started developing them.  

I love Biggs and Featherbelle.  I get the body butter that is fragrance free - it smells like m&ms :)  

I have also read that a diet rich in certain foods like spinach can help your skin with its ability to stretch.