November 2015 Moms

NBR: Favorite Slower/Calming Songs?

I was given the okay for any music I want for my upcoming C-section. (The doctor made sure I was making a playlist, we're trying to tackle all the anxiety we can without doing too much medication.) 

What are your favorite songs to help calm you down? I thought Christmas songs would be my go-to but I want to have another playlist just in case I don't feel too jolly ;) 

TIA! 

Re: NBR: Favorite Slower/Calming Songs?

• See, I'd go distracting. If I get a say I think I want 80s pop/90s hits. For actual calming music I'm the weirdo that plays a classical pandora station.
  • Do you like instrumental? Lyrics? Any genres that you love or hate? I just made a play list of calm music and one for pumping myself up. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • BowWowBowieBowWowBowie member
    edited November 2015
    itstheblackwidowbaby said: See, I'd go distracting. If I get a say I think I want 80s pop/90s hits. For actual calming music I'm the weirdo that plays a classical pandora station.

----QBF----
      I'd do the distracting if I knew it wouldn't make my bp go up with everything going on, I'm
    obviously a David Bowie fanatic ;) 80's are my jam! 
  • susanb15 said:
    Do you like instrumental? Lyrics? Any genres that you love or hate? I just made a play list of calm music and one for pumping myself up. :)
    I love all music! :) Just wanted to get some ideas, pregnancy brain is being a PIA right now. 
  • I was about to start a thread about labor playlists. I have the new Adele song on mine, and Burning House by Cam so far. I need some peaceful relaxing music, lyrical or not!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Inspirational music is a pretty personal thing so it's hard to say. I'm just going with my favorites, fast and slow. Paul Simons Graceland is at the top of the list. I have to say... A play list of Chriatmas music during surgery sounds like a total nightmare to me
  • edited November 2015
    I'm making a playlist of Andrew Bird, Bon Iver, Beck's album Morning Phase, Volcano Choir, Daughter, Radical Face, Local Natives, Radiohead, Bonobo... Can't think of anyone else at the moment but I'll edit on if I do!
  • LLet it be - beatles
    You can close your eyes - James Taylor & Carole king
    Such great heights - iron and wine
    Old blue chair (ocean mix)- Kenny Chesney
    7 years - Norah Jones
    Cello suite no.1 - prelude (beethoven, played by yo yo ma)
    For the moment I feel faint - reliant k
    Moonlight sonata - beethoven

There are good Dave Matthews band or Mumford and sons songs that are mellow, Josh groban, lots of Christian music,some good Zac brown band mellower songs... there are just a few mellow songs that will help chill me out.

Push It by Salt n Pepa is also making an appearance though because it makes me laugh.
  • Cliche but could do Daughters - John mayer or beautiful boy - John Lennon

Probably a ton of baby-reference songs out there if you are someone who will hone in on the words to keep you occupied
  • Frou Frou/ Imogen Heap is a favorite zone out to artist. Paul Simon, the Beatles, Dave Matthews band....all good stuff.

Check out soundtrack compilations too. Crazy,Stupid Love and Garden State have great great music.
  • I've been thinking of music too but I was going with a "feeling" and just pick a station through Spotify. I want something I know and can sing to... That will ever the most relaxing to me... Don't know if you thought about that or if it would help you.
  • VexedMommyVexedMommy member
    edited November 2015
    Piano Man, Cats in the Cradle

I agree with slower tempo songs I know all the words to being helpful.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Hundred Waters's album "Moon Rang Like a Bell" is fantastically mellow and awesome.
  • My mellow choice is Paul Simon all day. In fact, I have craved him so much this pregnancy we might name our baby boy Simon.

I think I am going to labor to electronic dance/bass music and then switch to string cheese incident to push him out :)
  • onebadmothaonebadmotha member
    edited November 2015
    I've made 3 separate labor playlists (they're still under construction)- one calm lyrical, one calm instrumental, and one upbeat. My calm instrumental is actually a couple of iTunes albums specifically tailored for labor. 

Some of my favorites so far on the calm lyrical list:

Here Comes the Sun- The Beatles
    If There's Love- Citizen Cope
    Forever- Ben Harper
    Come Away With Me- Norah Jones
    Longing to Belong- Eddie Veder
    You Are The Best Thing- Ray LaMontagne
    Sweater Weather- The Neighborhood
    Brighter Than Sunshine- Aqualung
    Beauty in the Breakdown- Frou Frou
    New Slang- The Shins 

My active playlist is pretty much just my running playlist...lots of songs that pump me up and generally make me feel like a bad ass :) 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• I'm a little (okay, a lot)  all over the place. 

So far I have: 
    Save Tonight - Eagle Eye Cherry 
    Mr. Jones - Counting Crows 
    Closing Time - Semi-Sonic
    Under Pressure- Queen/Bowie
    Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles 
    Never Stop - SafetySuit (My DH and I's song! ( :x ) 
    She's So High - Tal Bachman
    Little Wonders - Rob Thomas 
    Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley 
    Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole

And I'm still adding, trying to find my go to's. 

• I'm a big fan of Rilo Kiley, Florence and the Machine, Arctic Monkeys, Mumford and Sons, Simon and Garfunkel, The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac, Ray LaMontange, Dave Matthews.

So far I have: 

I love all your '90's music. How about Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, old Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Third Eye Blind. You could always create a Pandora station you like then sign up for the free trial so you can use unlimited skips and no commercials. Then cancel after your c-section.

So far I have: 

I really feel like your playlist needs the staple Goo Goo Dolls song - Iris.
  • Definitely going to be adding some Goo Goo Dolls and some Matchbox 20!
  • I will say.... my contractions hurt like a mother. I used my mellow music and tried to speak along with lyrics / focus on it. I highly recommend tunage!
  • Come to me -Jenn Johnson
    Everything to you- Jenn Johnson
    It is well-kristene Dimarco