June 2016 Moms
Options

Ovarian Cysts while Pregnant

Hi ladies,

Last night I had some sharp, stabbing pain localized to my right side about 2-3 inches inward from my hip bone. It lasted for about 5 mins, then went away. At the time I thought it was gas, a muscle twinge or something minor, and went back to sleep. This morning, I decided to call my doctor just to be sure I didn't dismiss something that I shouldn't, and to see if the pain needed to be addressed.

After speaking with a nurse midwife, she scheduled me for an appointment today. The midwife performed a pelvic exam, and I experienced the same sharp, stabbing pain when she applied pressure to my right side.

Next up was an ultrasound to rule out a corpus luteum cyst, other cyst, and/or ectopic pregnancy. At 5w1d it was a toss up as to whether a gestational sac would be visible, but there was one! Right in my uterus where it should be! Ultrasound also showed the corpus luteum and a small adjacent ovarian cyst present on my right ovary--pain source identified.

Blood was taken to measure hCG and progesterone levels, and will be repeated Monday. I was prescribed progesterone to begin right away if my blood levels are too low.

From what I understand, ovarian cysts and CLCs aren't inherently problematic during pregnancy unless they grow more than a certain size, and will typically resolve on their own. They're typically monitored via ultrasound during pregnancy to be sure they aren't growing. Of course there are risks if the cysts grows too large, and surgical intervention may be necessary.

I didn't see any other posts on this board about ovarian cysts during pregnancy, but does anyone else happen to have a similar issue, or have had one with a previous pregnancy?

Also, I'm sharing my story thus far as a kind of PSA. If you've got a concerning symptom, it doesn't hurt to call your doctor's office to check in, and just see if it warrants exploration rather than writing it off. I almost didn't call since I thought it was just a GI thing, but now I'm glad I did.

Happy Friday, ladies!

Re: Ovarian Cysts while Pregnant

• Options
    @crdo I've never been through this, nor do I have much advice, but I'm glad you found out the source of the pain! Always go with your gut. T&Ps that you don't have any complications, and it goes away on its own :)
  • Options
    I've had one that burst. They seen the fluid on my 5 week u/s. Said it was fine. Thoughts and prayers!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you @mrsschmity!

@lilp2015: Wow, that must have been excruciating! Glad to hear it didn't concern your doctors. Thanks!
  • Options
    I get cysts. I had a painful one last pregnancy. I was lucky that the dr took it off for me during my c-section, because it was pretty annoying!
  • Options
    they found one in me at my first appointment (8 weeks). they said it's not a problem. I haven't had any symptoms. it's almost 4 centimeters...sounds pretty big to me!
  • Options
    @june2016baby: That's great your doctor went ahead and took care of it! I'm sure you were glad to be rid if it. Ouch.

@Knottie13257900: 4 cm does sound like a good sized cyst! Glad you're not experiencing symptoms, and I hope it continues to be that way for you!

Thanks for sharing ladies!
  • Options
    When I had my MC in July at first they thought it might be ectopic because there was a growth that ended up being a cyst. My OB said that it was normal to get hormone caused cysts during pregnancy. It continued to get bigger at my appointments until after my MC. About 4 weeks later I had another ultrasound to confirm that everything had cleared out ok and the cyst was almost gone.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Options
    I'm glad they found a source! It sounds like it won't be a problem based on PP, hope it stays unproblematic for you.
  • Options
    I have PCOS so I typically have cysts on my ovaries. My doctor told me that our hormone increase during pregnancy may enlarge them temporarily, but if you've already had the issue identified, I'm sure you'll be monitored closely. Drink lots of water and REST as much as you can. Sending positive vibes your way!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Its just a working cyst. I think most woman get them in early pregnancy. Some just grow larger than others. I have had them with every pregnancy. With my daughter it burst and to be honest it was pretty darn painful. I may have thought I was dying for a moment...but I admit to being a bit on the dramatic side. 
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience ladies! Sounds like it isn't something to worry about unless it gets too large, or it ruptures (because I'm sure that f*cking hurts!). I've never had one to my knowledge, and definitely never had one that caused pain. New territory for me. You ladies have eased my mind!
  • Options
    alysemcialysemci member
    edited November 2015
    I've had 2 cysts so far this pregnancy that have both already burst. They were very painful and obvious. I get them normally anyways so I knew what it was right when I felt it. They're not anything to worry about. Cysts caused by PCOS are a little different and can obviously cause problems so I'm not referring to those. Typically you won't get them as much when you're pregnant because they are caused by your ovulation cycle usually. Also, going on birth control when not trying to get pregnant helps lessen your chance of getting them and resolves ones that are already there!
  • Options

I've had 2 cysts so far this pregnancy that have both already burst. They were very painful and obvious. I get them normally anyways so I knew what it was right when I felt it. They're not anything to worry about. Cysts caused by PCOS are a little different and can obviously cause problems so I'm not referring to those. Typically you won't get them as much when you're pregnant because they are caused by your ovulation cycle usually. Also, going on birth control when not trying to get pregnant helps lessen your chance of getting them and resolves ones that are already there!

Goodness, I'm sorry you had to go through not one but 2 ruptures already! Ouch. But, it's good that you knew what they were right away.

I've been on BC for years and years until this May to TTC, so to my knowledge I've never had one. This is new for me, and I've learned quite a bit about them in the last few days. The more you know, right?! Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    I'm glad I stumbled across this. I have had unidentifiable ovarian pain for 3 years now, and now I'm 5w 5d prego. I had some pain last night and yesterday morning after extra physical exertion. It felt like my same usual pain, not when a cyst ruptures. Anyway, I believe mine is different, but reading this makes me feel better and not overly concerned. I have an ultrasound on Thursday.
  • Options
    Tobbyjojo said:

I'm glad I stumbled across this. I have had unidentifiable ovarian pain for 3 years now, and now I'm 5w 5d prego. I had some pain last night and yesterday morning after extra physical exertion. It felt like my same usual pain, not when a cyst ruptures. Anyway, I believe mine is different, but reading this makes me feel better and not overly concerned. I have an ultrasound on Thursday.

Glad to hear you got a little peace of mind. I hope your doctor is able to identify the source of your pain on Thursday!
  • Options
    I have a cyst on my left ovary that was found during my first scan.

To give you an idea of what a large one is my OB explained that your ovary is only 2cm and my cyst is 7cm. So mine is large but my friend had a 20cm cyst removed last year.
  • Options
    I have PCOS and have had cysts rupture in the past, and even bleed out and cause spotting. There really isn't anything doctors can do for cysts and most of the time they are harmless. I'll get my ovaries checked pretty regularly through the pregnancy to make sure all is well and safe. I'm sure they'll do the same for you. Cysts are painful, try to breathe through the pain and know it will pass. I hope you don't get anymore cysts this pregnancy, the other symptoms are bad enough to deal with.
  • Options
    @Shandii: 20 cm?! Holy hell. Hopefully your 7cm cyst doesn't cause you too much pain.

@CopperLane: Yes, I've been told by my OB that there's nothing to worry about unless the cyst grows too large, thankfully, and that I'll just have more frequent u/s to check it. Sorry you've had to deal with multiple ruptures. Thanks for the insight!
  • Options
    I have a history of pre-pregnancy cysts, and they have really ramped up this pregnancy. When the pain first started it was terrifying and so I called my OBs office. The nurse discussed my symptoms and history and immediately dismissed any problems other than cysts. Apparently ovarian cysts are common in many normal pregnancies, but especially for those of us who have a history. I was so relieved.

• Options
    Yeah 20cm is large! She looked pregnant it was amazing!
  • Options
    I've known two ladies with 20 cm cysts, one preggo the other not.  Both had excruciating pain.  The pregnancy was monitored closely and she had an otherwise uncomplicated journey.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

Special prayers for angels that we never met!