Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

5 wk old excessive crying & making his voice raspy.

Hey everyone, I'm a FTM and my son is almost 6 wks old. He cries very often with only a few sporadic minutes of happiness throughout the day while awake. His cry is sharp and loud and he's now made his voice raspy and hoarse. My husband and I try everything to get him to stop and he will for a moment but the crying always starts back up not long after. I'm breastfeeding/pumping and he cries while being fed on the bottle and the breast. Has anybody dealt with something similar? Does it sound like reflux or colic? I'm at a loss and I don't know how to help him and his hoarse voice is breaking my heart

Re: 5 wk old excessive crying & making his voice raspy.

• Options

Have you asked the Pedi? Could very well be colic. Do you swaddle him or put him in a swing or something that vibrates? Sometimes parents try too many things to calm their baby and end up getting them worked up more. It's hard to know what to do, especially when you are a FTM.

I'd ask the Pedi and see what they think. They will ask about the crying and reflux symptoms to try and figure it out. Good luck OP.

• Options
    We had an appointment this morning with his pedi and she said it's hard to pinpoint exactly what is causing it but she thinks it might be reflux. So, I'm going back to exclusively breastfeeding (no more bottle), shorter more frequent feedings, and keeping him upright for 30-40 minutes after he eatts. If that doesn't work she prescribed him an anti acid. Other than that she said he's "a picture of health". Thank you! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter also has reflux. Our situations sound similar. I still give my daughter a bottle at night. I find the Playtex Drop Ins bottles don't aggrivate her reflux like other brands do.
  • Options
    Thx! I'll have to try that for when he needs a bottle. Did your pedi ever prescribe your daughter an anti acid? My pedi prescribed my son ranitidine (Zantac).
  • Options
    DD was diagnosed with reflux at 3 weeks and is on Prevacid twice a day. Zantac didn't work for us. She's bottle fed and we keep her upright, but honestly what's made the most difference is feeding her on her side. We also have thickened her feeds with baby oatmeal because she just can't take in the volume she needs to grow with straight formula or bm. Another thing that's been huge is taking her to the chiropractor. She goes twice a week. I have no idea why it works so well, but her epic spitups immediately stopped and she has less reflux episodes.
  • Options
    My daughter has had this exact same thing! She was diagnosed with reflux at 3 weeks old. However she does have colic as well. Is your baby gassy? My daughter didn't do well on Zantac so they gave us Prevacid as well as about antibiotic. We keep her upright for 30 min after a feeding. Something that I found that has helped as well is gripe water. I put it in her bottle and have seen a big difference since starting it. It is a natural remedy for gas and colic. Also when your baby is crying try doing the 5 S's (swaddle, soothe with pacifier, swing, side ways and shhh) the shhing really helps, it what the baby heard in the womb. I hope this helps!
  • Options
    I'd talk to your pedi.They can help rule out or diagnose any digestive issues. If it is colic - try the book "Happiest Baby on The Block." I've got a colicky baby and I feel like it saved my life. Or at least my sanity.
  • Options
    chelle822chelle822 member
    edited December 2015
    My daughter was diagnosed with reflux at 3 weeks and percribed Zantac. It took about 3 weeks for us to see a noticeable difference. She is breastfed and we do give her formula at times but I really try to exclusively breastfeed. It seemed like she was always hungry but found out that she was eating to help with the reflux, it soothed her when she swallowed. Her little voice was so raspy from the reflux, I felt horrible! She is now starting to feel better. We also tried the Gerber calming comic drops that are probiotic. I feel like this has helped so much, they say probiotics can help with reflux! Good luck, it gets better!