April 2015 Moms
Options

Croup?

Our LO has a barking cough and stuffy nose. Not sure if it is croup or just a cough/cold. FTM..any comfort/treatment ideas? I kept him in the bathroom after showering for the steam. Poor guy is also cutting his first tooth.

Re: Croup?

• Options
    lmk115lmk115 member
    edited November 2015
    Aw I'm so sorry! The steam would have been my suggestion. There is a nasal spray made for babies that you can use to loosen up his sinuses. Then the nose Frieda, as gross as it sounds, really clears out the snot. If the cough is post nasal drip, clearing his sinuses could help. Hope he feels better soon!
  • Options
    Yeah, if it's a "barking" cough you know it's croup and not just a cough/cold. 

If you haven't already, take your LO to their Dr ASAP. They can prescribe something for you, a safe steroid in a single dose that makes the swelling in baby's airways go down. 

Keep baby hydrated, check with your dr about ibuprofen, give baby lots of love and attention and try to keep baby upright to ease breathing and calm baby when they are upset. No cough medicine or decongestants. 

Be really careful with steam, you don't want to end up in emerge with a baby who accidently got scalded. Watch out for any serious breathing difficulties (don't worry, this is rare) but keep an eye on your baby and call 911 or go straight to the hospital if you have any concerns about baby's breathing. Lips and face should NOT have any blue tinge. Neck and ribcage should NOT appear drawn-in. 

You can also try a cold teething ring to see if that helps. Poor guy. 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson