Cloth Diapering
Options

Bumgenius 4.0 vs Freetime

I want to start stacking up on cloth diapers before my baby is born, but I can't decide whether I should get the Bumgenius 4.0 or the Freetime. I know there are pros and cons to both, but I'm not sure if one would be better than the other for a breastfed baby? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Re: Bumgenius 4.0 vs Freetime

• Options
    I'm not due until January, but bought 7 of both to try. I'm not sure if one is necessarily better than the other for breastfeeding, but the 4.0s have customizable absorbency which can be a plus. Also, they're on clearance so you can get them cheaper than Freetimes. In addition to those, I'm getting some prefolds and fitteds from Green Mountain Diaper, because I've heard specifically that they're good for ebf. Getting an assortment of diapers is probably a good idea so that in case something doesn't fit correctly or suit your needs, you have at least one other option on hand.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have either, but the difference is that free times are an all in one and 4.0 are pockets, so you'll have to stuff the absorbency in the pocket. It's not a big deal but some find it annoying. A year in I'm phasing out pockets for this reason. Having a variety can be nice so maybe some of each?
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

***Wow this got long, sorry*** 

I currently have 2 in cloth and my stash consists primarily of FTs and 4.0s, and I honestly think it comes down to personal preference, and that can change over time. Before I started I hated it when people said "you just have to try a bunch and find what works," but honestly it is the best answer. I doubt you will regret having a few of each style.  

Things to think about:

1. Is baby going to be in daycare-4.0s are more like disposables and easier for daycare/babysitters. 

2. Are you planning on a second baby? Do you want to use these diapers for another child? It is much easier to replace elastic in 4.0s unless you are a decent sewer. 

3. Do you live in a dry climate/do you plan to hang dry or machine dry? Freetimes take much longer to air dry and while both can go in the dryer it is a little harder on the diapers. 

4. Is bulkiness going to bother you? Freetimes are slightly bulkier. 

5. Do you think you will mind having to stuff diapers for 3-4 minutes every few nights? Freetimes, I just fold and go. 

6. Do you want to CD at night? Are you thinking about getting nighttime cloth diapers? 4.0s are much easier to make nighttime diapers in my opinion. 

For me I prefer my freetimes because I personally hate stuffing diapers. While it's not time consuming or difficult, it is just one more thing I have to do.  I don't mind the FT microfiber and neither of my kids have ever had an issue with it. Both kids (my 2 year old and my 6 month old) can wear a freetime for about 3-4 hours and not have leaks, but with the 4.0s microfiber insert I have to change them ever 3 hours or I have leaks. However both kids go to daycare 3 days a week and I wouldn't send FTs to daycare because I feel like there is greater risk of "user error." 

Short answer: If I were a stay home parent, I would only have FTs for day.  I work part time therefore, I have 4.0s for daycare and a few for a nighttime diaper backup. 

HTH