October 2015 Moms
Options

Swelling after a C Section?

Has this happened to anyone else? I had no swelling during my pregnancy but now can't wear my rings or shoes!

Ideas of what can help it go down?

Re: Swelling after a C Section?

• Options
    I had the same problem. It takes time. It was due to the bags of fluid they gave me for surgery.
  • Options
    I had the same thing. It took about a week for the swelling to go down. The pumped me full of IV fluids.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yep, I had a ton of IV fluids too, although I was a bit swollen before.
  • Options
    Definitely the is fluids they pump during and after recovery. Also, if you are taking Motrin or Advil for pain, ibuprofen helps to retain the excess fluid. My crazy swelling was worst on day 3 pp, but got a little better by day 5 and the completely gone by day 10 when I stopped taking all medication.
  • Options
    Drink plenty of water! It'll magically go down after a week or two!

• Options
    Compression socks help, drinking fluids helped. Some of my rings still don't fit and it's almost 3weeks since c-section.
  • Options
    I made sure to elevate my feet during resting/feeding periods. Drink plenty of water and ask for a foot massage. I had minimal swelling during pregnancy and looked like I had softballs in my ankles after surgery. It all went away around 8 days pp.
  • Options
    My swelling was terrible during pregnancy and even worse post-C, until about 8 days pp. Now I'm 12 days out and and almost back to normal. Around 4-5 days out I began peeing like crazy, which I was told is normal. Do your best to keep your feet up so that the fluid makes its way back to your bladder.