September 2015 Moms
Options

PSA: Alternative to Medela bottles for pumping...

BrianaJ0917BrianaJ0917 member
edited October 2015 in September 2015 Moms
So I made an awesome discovery tonight while I was washing bottles! I have these cheap bottles from Walmart ($0.97..Parent's Choice brand). And as I was washing I accidentally put the ring from that bottle on my Medela bottle and lo and behold it fit!!!! I've been considering buying more Medela bottles to pump with since I'm going back to work next week and I only have 2 and now I'm glad I didn't because I can just go buy a bunch of the cheap ones! I even tried the Medela pump piece on the bottle and made sure it fit!! Only downside is they don't have a solid cap like the Medela ones for storage so they'd have to be stored with the ring/nipple and cap! But if it's just going into the fridge to drink later it may be a good (cheap) alternative!!

Re: PSA: Alternative to Medela bottles for pumping...

• Options
    Ya I buy the 3 pack gerber ones and they fit and their nipples fit the medela ones as well
  • Options
    Some bottles also have pump adapters. I have a few pump adapters for my Munchkin Latch bottles, so if I want to pump directly into those I can (the adapters came with the Newborn Pack on target.com).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The cheapo evenflo ones fit on the pump also, I bought the 9 packs on amazon with free prime shipping and they have the solid caps so you can store them without worrying about leaking. They are like $9 or something.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    You can get Medela pump bags that work awesome to pump straight into and then cool in the fridge and then freeze. Then you don't have to worry about pumping into a bottle and cleaning them all the time.
  • Options
    Have you tried the medela pump bags? I did with my first and HATED them. It's a good idea in theory but it's not that secure and I ended up dumping BM all over myself and the sofa. And the medela bags don't hold much and won't freeze flat so they take up more space. I like the lansinosh bags MUCH better- they hold more, freeze flat if you lay them down and are probably cheaper.
  • Options
    buckleyk said:

Have you tried the medela pump bags? I did with my first and HATED them. It's a good idea in theory but it's not that secure and I ended up dumping BM all over myself and the sofa. And the medela bags don't hold much and won't freeze flat so they take up more space. I like the lansinosh bags MUCH better- they hold more, freeze flat if you lay them down and are probably cheaper.

Do the Lansinoh bags fit right in the pump? I haven't tried that yet.
    Married 6.21.2014
    DD #1: 8.16.2015
    #2 EDD: 1.13.2019
  • Options
    buckleykbuckleyk member
    edited November 2015
    hlb8179 said:

buckleyk said:

Do the Lansinoh bags fit right in the pump? I haven't tried that yet.
    No, but neither to the medela ones. They hang off the pump and the sides are open. If you're not sitting still the bag easily falls off and spills. I just pump into a bottle and use and flange as a funnel to pour it into a bag. I also think the lansinoh bags are better for storage and they hold more milk.
  • Options
    The Medela bags also are so off on the amount it says you're collecting. I pump 2 oz in the bottle and the bag says it's 4 oz. Bothers me!
  • Options
    So many great tips on this thread!
    Have any of you heard of/tried the Kiinde system? I got a started kit that came with bottles, nipples (3 different flows), bags, pump adapters and a bag storage unit (not necissary but nice bonus). It's actually a pretty neat little set up. You pump into the bag and then the bag goes right into what they call a bottle and the nipple on top. I mostly BF but have been pumping one bag a day just to have a stash incase I'm away from LO for more than a couple of hours. She has only had the bottle about 3 times (she is 6 weeks) but had no issue taking it or going back to the breast. So far I'm pretty impressed! I'll attach the link to their website if anyone wants to look it up.

https://www.kiinde.com