Options

Ear piercing

2»

Re: Ear piercing

• Options
    From 3 months is a good time to pierce ears
  • Options
    Lurking.

I had my ears pierced when I was an infant. I didn't actually start wearing them until I was 18. Plus, they were pierced lopsided or my ears grew in weird idk. With that being said, I'll wait for my little one to ask for her ears pierced. It'll be a great mommy/daughter day in the future! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I asked my parents when I was 5 or 6 to get my ears pierced then I got to get a picture done with E.T. so I could show off my new earrings. Definitely a memorable experience. :) 

If DD wants to get her ears pierced I'll probably wait until she is in first or second grade. As a kindergarten teacher it drives me nuts dealing with students taking their earrings out and losing them and wanting me to put them back in all day, though I'm sure 1st and 2nd grade teachers run into this issue too. I don't remember it being an issue with my 4th graders.

I've heard some women say that getting a second hole was difficult, because the spacing is weird due to the piercings done when they were infants. :-/ I only have the one set so I'm guessing when their ears grew the hole on the lobe was higher or lower than what is "typical."  No clue if this is the norm just thought it was interesting. 
  • Options
    We will be getting our daughters ears pierced at the Drs once she is allowed, probably around 3 months. My parents had mine done when I was a baby and I've never had any issues! I actually hadn't even thought of discussing this with DH until this post, so thanks :)
  • Options
    I had to wait until my 8th birthday to get my ears pierced. I remember being so excited to finally get them done! Mom took me to our hair dressers and she did my first ear and I refused to let her near the other...it took about 4 days and a trick to get the other one done. Since then, I've gotten two more lobe piercings, my tragus on the left and daith on the right.

We are having a boy, so the ear piercing isn't an issue. Now at least. DH and I never discussed what we would do if baby was a girl.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I sort of equate ear piercing with tattooing. Ok, perhaps tattoos are maybe next level, but I still can't imagine making that decision for my child.

You do realize that these (both tattoos and piercings) are cultural norms in countries outside the US. They have religious and spiritual meaning.

Where I live most babies wear some form of jewelry. It's rare to see a baby girl without earrings. Mist Hispanic babies wear certain types of pins or bracelets that ward off evil.

Earrings aren't just cosmetic, they represent a long standing cultural tradition for many people.

It amazes me how close-minded people here are.
    Yes, you're right, I'm very closed minded. I hate all of my own tattoos and piercings. I also hate traveling all over the world experiencing and learning about different cultures and religion. Blech.

Please don't project shit on me you have no idea about. I'm advocating for MY child, and my child only.
    Then don't make judgy fucking comments.

I'm not sure why you're getting pissed and taking this personally, I wasn't even referring to you.

Calm your tits.

Edited because it posted to soon.
  • Options
    My family waits until 10 for the most part. Everyone knows it isn't an option before so it is something to look forward to. I've never thought about what I would do with a future daughter.
  • Options

I would be more concerned about the small pieces becoming a choking hazard if they come out in the crib...

I feel like the earrings you put on a baby are so tiny that it wouldn't be an issue. But I suppose anything is possible.
    Definitely a possibility, my daughters everyday pair are screw backs for that reason. She will wear other ones that aren't on special occasions when we're out because I have a fear of the chocking also.
  • Options

@CharminglySouthern Of all the people expressing their opinions on what they were comfortable with, you seemingly picked one at random and projected all your judgements onto her, rather than acting like an adult like every other person on this entire thread and stating what works for you. Way to go. But feel free to defend your overly judgemental self and blame all your insecurities on others.

Insecurities? Lol...no. My point was that to some people it's more than just jewelry and it's offensive to dismiss it as such.

• Options
    indibiduleindibidule member
    edited November 2015

@CharminglySouthern Of all the people expressing their opinions on what they were comfortable with, you seemingly picked one at random and projected all your judgements onto her, rather than acting like an adult like every other person on this entire thread and stating what works for you. Way to go. But feel free to defend your overly judgemental self and blame all your insecurities on others.

Insecurities? Lol...no. My point was that to some people it's more than just jewelry and it's offensive to dismiss it as such.

And my point is she's not the only one to express a remarkably similar opinion and you singled her out for no apparent reason and called her closed-minded and judgemental, while only proving yourself to be so.

Edited, autocorrect
  • Options
    jezygaljezygal member
    edited November 2015
    I'm letting my daughter decide when she's old enough, if she wants them she can have them if not then she won't. My dad refused to let me get mine pierced until I was 9, I begged for at least 2 years. I just don't want to put permanent holes in my daughters ears if she doesn't want them in the future. And if anyone says getting a baby's ears pierced is child abuse, then you better not have gotten them vaccinated or circumsized.
  • Options
    I was not allowed to pierce my ears until I was 18. I did it at Claire's and they never healed right. I let them close and don't have my ears pierced anymore. If I were to re-pierce them I would do it at piercing parlor. My body doesn't react well to piercings in general but I think doing it at Claire's made it worse. I will not pierce my baby's ears in case she reacts badly but also I think it's her choice to make, when she is old enough to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Options
    Somepeople never react well to body jewelry. I'm one of them, even sometimes gold or silver gets irritatating. For this reason I will wait until my child asks me and only then. That way if it does irritate her she can vocalize it! I personal don't think it's a big deal either way, or that this thread was in anyway culturally insensitive? Different cultures hold all kinds of different practices, doesn't mean we have to agree that they are right or even like them, as long as we are not disrespecting them!
  • Options
    No one said it was child abuse either...
  • Options
    Hispanic tradition to pierce ears of infant girls. I had my first daughters done at 3 months and plan on also having my second daughters done around the same time.
  • Options
    No time to read through the thread, so I'm sure I'm repeating what other people have said, but I wouldn't personally get my daughter's ears pierced  until she A) Says she wants her ears pierced and B) Can take care of them herself.  My mom had followed a similar idea and I got mine done around maybe age 5 or 6.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    I struggle with this debate as well. I'm having a boy so I don't have to decide quite yet.

My parents chose to wait until they felt like I was old enough to ask and be responsible for them. I was 11 when I had mine done, and thanks to a silly accident at a slumber party, the back of my new earring got lodged into my earlobe. I had to let them close and couldn't re-pierce for at least a year. My new piercings are not even, because of the scar tissue on one lobe, and I can't wear any earrings, even high quality gold/silver studs for more than a few hours because the one lobe is so sensitive.

All that to say, I would probably lean towards doing it as an infant to spare my daughter that experience, even though I don't really like the idea of robbing her choice, either.
  • Options
    I will be having my daughter's ears pierced within the first couple of months. Do what you feel is best. 
  • Options
    Hrc724Hrc724 member
    edited November 2015
    I had my ears pierced at 4 but now as a adult I wish I didn't have them pierced because sometimes I don't feel like wearing earrings but my holes are stretched and it looks bad if I don't. Part of me wants to make my daughter wait until at least high school BUT my aunt did that with my cousin. She wanted her ears pierced so badly but she had to wait for her 16 birthday. Every year for Christmas and my birthday my cousin would get me earrings because she was so jealous that I had mine pierced. She died in a plane crash at 15 so she never got to get them pierced. Life is too short and unpredictable so if/when my daughter asks for her ears pierced I'll take her. But after reading this thread I will look into a professional piercer rather than going to Claire's.
  • Options
    I'm all about doing them as an infant. Yes it's purely cosmetic. It looks cute. Nothing wrong with wanting her to look cute! I don't think it's a huge life altering decision you're making for her. I mean she can always choose to not wear earrings, right? My mom waited til I was 8 and I didn't take care of them & they closed up, and I've had them re-done at 12 and then again at 17 (it's odd how much I sucked at taking care of ear piercings, all of my other piercings are healed and fine). Anyway, my sister had hers done at 3 months and now she's 11 and she's never had issues with them and she chooses when she wants to actually wear earrings. I wish my parents would've done mine as an infant.
  • Options

Hispanic tradition to pierce ears of infant girls. I had my first daughters done at 3 months and plan on also having my second daughters done around the same time.

I'm not Hispanic but I will be doing the same. I had mine done when I was a few months old and have always had earrings in. My holes will never close. I've accidentally forgot to put in my earrings for weeks many times. I like the convenience of that lol. I have to buy earrings that are "nickel free" though... Otherwise I'm allergic to earrings made from different material :(
  • Options

I was not allowed to pierce my ears until I was 18. I did it at Claire's and they never healed right. I let them close and don't have my ears pierced anymore. If I were to re-pierce them I would do it at piercing parlor. My body doesn't react well to piercings in general but I think doing it at Claire's made it worse. I will not pierce my baby's ears in case she reacts badly but also I think it's her choice to make, when she is old enough to.

I had mine re-pierced at Claire's as an adult and it included the following exchange:

"Wait...don't you need to sanitize my ears first?"
    "*giggle* oops! Sorry, I'm nervous."

I'm in the let the kids decide when they're old enough to make the decision and understand the responsibility of keeping them clean, etc. camp. I also think babies look funny with pierced ears. But then, I think some adults and kids look funny with their hairstyles and clothes choices, too, and I'm sure other people sometimes think the same about me and my family. Thank god we all have our own opinions about what looks good or the world would be a much less interesting place.
  • Options
    stlmomof2 said:

I'm not Hispanic but I will be doing the same. I had mine done when I was a few months old and have always had earrings in. My holes will never close. I've accidentally forgot to put in my earrings for weeks many times. I like the convenience of that lol. I have to buy earrings that are "nickel free" though... Otherwise I'm allergic to earrings made from different material :(
    Nickle allergies are common. We always go for the sterling silver. As far as ears never closing, myself and my daughter are the same. I had mine pierced at 6 and my second holes done at 17, but my daughter is always losing one (she's 6) and we've never had the issue of them closing even after months of not wearing them nor do they look uneven or stretched. I'm glad we chose to pierce as and infant (she did not shed a tear and we had no issues with her pulling on them or infections) and she's happy that she has them even if she doesn't often wear them.