October 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone have a foley bulb used during induction?

My doctor scheduled me for an induction on Monday when I'll be 41+2. I am 40+4 now and praying she comes on her own. But if not, this is the plan. I didn't ask about the foley bulb bc he was talking s fast but now I am wondering what your experience was with it?

Re: Anyone have a foley bulb used during induction?

• Options
    I had it. I did cervidil to soften my cervix with no change so they decided the next step was the foley bulb. I took IV pain meds at the advice of my nurse and when I woke up later on it was to the foley coming out which is a very intense feeling but once it was out it was like Instant relief. I know different hospitals do it differently to give it a little traction while its in. I have read some place just have nurses come in and tug on the string every now and then. My hospital ties a saline bag to the end of the string and hangs it over the bed and when you dialte to four it pops out. Sounds barbaric, but it's what helped kick start my labor as the others meds were doing nothing.
  • Options
    Not a bad idea to start with a bulb! It's not a medication so it doesn't put you on a time frame
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not fun but also not the worst lol more uncomfortable than anything.
  • Options
    It worked really fast for me. Definitely uncomfortable but not bad.
  • Options
    I had it. It really wasn't very uncomfortable having it put in or taken out. They said it could come out on its on, but mine didnt. Mostly it was just a weird feeling. For me, they put it in on Monday evening, and they took it out at 5:00 the next morning the started my pitocin.
  • Options
    I had one put in after an epidural and being almost fully dialated. I felt nothing and had no trouble with it. It was removed shortly before I began to push.
  • Options
    I had it put in and it was a bit uncomfortable. I dilated from 1cm to 4cm in 3 hours and the foley fell when I went to the bathroom and it did not hurt at all. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks...Google left me thinking it was hell on Earth. Obviously I'll do what it takes but...can you say scared?
  • Options
    I'm also having a foley bulb inserted as the beginning of my induction on Sunday night (unless I'm dilated further at that point).
  • Options
    I had it and honestly having it placed was no worse than a cervical check. The nurse tugged on it every hour and to my surprise it fell out after two hours. I was only st 1.5 cm going in. It also started contractions for me, and then my water broke on its own. They still gave me pitocin an hour later because the contractions were inconsistent but overall I had a really good experience with the foley bulb. It just feels odd but nothing terrible.
  • Options
    J1DJ1D member
    I had one. It's uncomfortable but really not that bad. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    Everyone is different, mine really hurt when they were trying to fit it. Once it was in it was fine, but of a pain going to the toilet. It didn't work for me, only stretched part of my cervix. Ended up with propess, that didn't work either. Induced by drip in the end, don't think my body wanted to give birth!!
  • Options
    I had it and it was put in when my epidural was still in effect. Removing it didn't hurt at all. I wasn't allowed to get out of bed for a day after the birth so it was necessary. Good luck!!