1st Trimester

When did/do you plan on announcing?

Last pregnancy we waited the "traditional" 12 weeks before announcing our pregnancy. We had planned on doing the same this time. However, I am almost 7 weeks and already beginning to get a pouch. I wanted to include our daughter in the reveal so I was hoping I wouldn't be showing enough for people to guess before we has some pictures. Was just looking for some opinions on when people announced their pregnancies. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When did/do you plan on announcing?

• ecwkecwk member
    I told my parents as soon as I found out and my in laws just before 12 weeks but after a successful NT scan. We'll be telling other family/friends from now on. Good luck!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We've always waited until at least 12 weeks. I'm currently 14 weeks pregnant with our third and we still haven't officially announce or even told many family member. Honestly I think it just depends on whenever you feel ready to share the news.
  • Loading the player...
  • We haven't "announced" to everyone we know yet (many friends, my extended family, work, and Facebook still don't know). I plan to tell more friends/family and work after our first trimester ultrasound around 13 weeks. Not sure if we will do a Facebook announcement but if so maybe wait til October, closer to 16 weeks? If we are going to do a cute pic or something having a bump would help haha.

We told parents, my stepdaughter, and most siblings after our 9 week ultrasound. Wanted to know we had a heartbeart. It's or first pregnancy and first grandchild in my family so didn't want to get everyone excited for nothing if something went wrong so early. I know I'd need support if it did and probably would tell parents after the fact, but my sisters wedding is this month and didn't want to give good news, then possibly bad news, before her big day and dampen the happiness!

I told 2 close friends and one sister between 7-8 weeks. Needed to tell someone, and was around these girls a lot in drinking situations, so telling them made life better!
  • I'm just shy of 9 weeks now and a few people know (Mom, Dad, my best friends, and my co-workers because they see me every day and I already look super pregnant). We won't formally announce this one, because we did last time and then miscarried. But we will start telling people (including our son) when we get the cell free DNA and anatomy scan results back and things are clear. I think it's an intensely personal decision. I can say that the "wait until 12 weeks in case you miscarry" isn't the best advice for some. I had two miscarriages. With one everyone knew and it was extremely comforting to have support and help from friends, co-workers, and family. For the other no one knew, and I felt so alone. It really depends on what you are comfortable with sharing with people. Either way, good luck, and congrats!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• With my last 2 pregnancies we told after the first ultrasound at 8 weeks. I'm thinking we'll be doing the same this time around. Last time we just posted pictures online of the ultrasound, this time I have a photographer as a close friend and she has already offered to take some announcement pictures.

DD1 Born 11/06/09
    DD2 Born 05/11/11
     #3   EDD 05/02/16 
  • We're telling my parents today and my in laws on Sunday. I'm only a few days past the 10week mark but I'm feeling ready after having a healthy ultrasound and heartbeat. I understand some people wanting to wait for the 12 week mark for fear of a mc. I've already had one mc at 5weeks and if something were to happen to me this time around, there'd be no way to hide my devastation. I figure I'd rather have my parents and sister to help me through the good/bad than to try to handle it just between me and DH.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • I plan to wait till I can't hide it anymore. I would really like to tell my parents in person, but I will be 20 weeks next time I see them and I don't want to upset them by waiting that long.

We see H's family a lot and I don't know how long I can hide it. 

Even once I do tell people, I don't plan to do anything big or elaborate- probably just tell people when I see them. Nothing on Facebook, for sure.
  • I'm a really private person so I plan on hiding it for awhile. It is tricky for me to figure out how to tell different people because I don't want someone to post about it on facebook before I get a chance to tell everyone important in person.

So my plan is to actually mail out a cute announcement to my family and time it to the same time I will be telling DH family which will be the weekend of Grandparent's Day. I will be about 14 weeks.

I am thinking I will probably tell my boss and coworkers the Friday before that weekend and make them swear not to post about it until after the weekend.
  • AlphabetFishAlphabetFish member
    edited August 2015
    We live MUCH too far away to see people in person, but we called close family right away. Literally hours after my first positive test (it was a REALLY obvious result) my husband was calling his parents. He also told his work right away.

Me, I told work around 10 weeks and I plan to announce on Facebook soon now that I've hit 12 weeks.

• I plan to tell immediate family after my first U/S at 7 weeks. Will probably slowly tell the rest of the family after that, and then make a more official announcement between 10 and 12 weeks.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'm 12 weeks now but am waiting for the panorama blood test results next week to come back and just before 14 weeks I'll have an ultrasound. As soon as I know the ultrasound shows a healthy baby, then I'll announce it on FB. I told my mom and dad and 2 friends the day I found out! And my coworkers know (hard to hide me eating crackers and drinking ginger ale all day cuz of morning sickness).
  • We told our parents as soon as I got a positive hpt. This is our first and couldn't wait! We told a few close friends and family after the beta. We plan on telling the rest of the family and friends after the u/s which will be 7 weeks. Not sure when I will tell work. Probably when I can't hide my bump.
    Married for 4 years. TTC for 3.
    Me: 38 DH: 39
    DX: Unexplained Infertility; found a few fibroids this time around during SIS

March 2012: Clomid for 3 cycles  3 BFNs
    Sept. 2013: started injectables (Follistim, Ovidrel Trigger) IUI BFN

May 2015: New RE. Going IVF. Tests, Tests, Tests 
    July 2015: Microdose Lupron 20u am & pm, Follistim 150iu 75iu am, Menapur 150iu 75iu pm
    Triggered 8/4 ER 8/6 ET 8/11 2 beautiful blastocysts; 2WW
    8/19 hpt BFP! Beta 8/25: 482
    2nd Beta 9/1......3707
    U/S 9/21: 1 beautiful little gummy bear

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH can't keep his mouth shut so we told his mom and stepdad 2 days after the stick turned positive (as they came to visit) so to be fair we told my Mom
    and Dad that day as well. We thought I was around 51/2 weeks but really I was just around 4. And then in the next two days he told everyone at work-even customers!

I'm now 10 weeks and our extended family (and his father due to reasons) don't know. Now that everyone in our day to day know I don't care if th info gets out except that we haven't told my Grandma yet-my mom is insisting we wait because she will worry. Now my Mom wants to wait till Oct when her sister (who lives with my grandmother) comes to visit so she can see her face when she tells her that she'll be a grandma first (a sibling rivalry thing).

So guess what I'm saying is I had no real say in announcing-and kinda still don't. I'm not a person who plans these things (I'm also not taking tummy photos etc), so I haven't cared. My only issue is my Grandma getting the info from someone other than me or my mother but thankfully the people that do know don't have a way to let her know. Blessings of living away from family.
    DD: Beatrix Louise aka BeeBop. April 2 2016. H.I.E Warrior <3
  • We just found out with a BFP and we're only 4 weeks along, but we told our parents because it's our first child and their first grandchild. I told my mom and dad in person, but asked them to keep it quiet until we're sure it's all good. We also told his mom over the phone. I'm not sure when I'll tell aunts/uncles/friends, but I had to tell my folks because we were bursting with excitement. Good luck to you and many blessings!!
  • We told immediate family soon after we found out. We had a vacation planned long before around week 9. We cancelled it since it would have been out of country and if there were any complications, it would be a major hassle. Since we were cancelling, we had to tell family since they'd be wondering what's up. After that, we began to start telling friends after 12 weeks.
  • This is my third so I am already bumping pretty bad at 6 weeks- told my husband (with the help of a photographer friend) about a week after I found out- planned family photos and our other two kids were holding chalkboard signs describing themselves and I took out a sign for us that said "expecting #3" so we caught the whole thing on camera- it was great... then we couldn't hold it in due to my bump I was talking about so we told his parents and mine at a dinner everyone was at to celebrate my husband's new job- no one was expecting it because of his news so we said, oh yeah we have pics for you guys too- and just gave them each a bunch with the kids' individually and then our family one that had the sign held up and everyone flipped... it was a lot of fun... already told everyone not to say anything to anyone else until I hit 10 weeks- at that point I will have had my doc apt and have had time to tell the people we want to in person... I think it's a big deal, so decide what you want out of it and who its important to hear it from you directly and go from there.  good luck and congrats!!! 
  • saladflambesaladflambe member
    edited September 2015
    I told my parents today (I just got positive tests today), and DH is telling his parents in person this weekend.

My stepmom told my stepsister, which I'm fine with. I'm cool w/ my siblings knowing as long as my parents will tell them if I have a loss so I don't have to. 

The rest of our family we'll tell around Thanksgiving.

(Edited because words)
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• I told my parents as soon as I knew :)
  • My work knows because I am a bedside nurse at a hospital and I have to be cautious about what patient's to take and there is a lot of heavy lifing so I pretty much needed to tell them.  A few close friends know and then our family will know at Thanksgiving when my DD and DS will where I am so thankful that i am going to be a big sister again and I am going to be a big brother! Ill be about 16 weeks.  I have had two losses so we are really gun shy. 
  • We told yesterday after our 8 week ultrasound. I figure if God forbid something is to happen I would rather have the love and support of friends and family.
  • Honestly, my husband and I told our moms the day after our positive test (about 10 DPO), and our sisters shortly after that. Neither of us is any good at keeping secrets (I can't remember the last time I didn't spoil a Christmas or birthday gift for him within 15 minutes of purchasing it), and our first baby is so much more exciting and newsworthy than any of the other surprises we've spoiled in the past!

Our policy has been not to deny it when asked directly, so the girlfriends with whom I have a weekly wine night already know, and the coworkers who've seen me plummet from 6-8 thermoses of coffee per day to 1 cup figured it out early.  Add to the list a few other close friends, and some coworkers that my husband confided in (all new dads who he thought might have valuable advice), and the list of people who knew within two weeks of our positive test was a long one.

We're 6 weeks now, and our entire extended families know.  We'd have waited a little bit longer, but an acquaintance in the know posted something on my Facebook wall that heavily implied I was knocked up (I deleted it fast, but it's tough to know who saw it). We decided to come clean early on the off chance something similar happens again; we'd rather be the ones to share our happy news with friends and close family.

Now we're just keeping our fingers crossed that we've got nothing but good news to share for the next 34 weeks!
  • I'm a vet tech, so because of my job, I'm going to be telling all the staff tomorrow at our staff meeting, even though I'm only around 5 weeks - because I won't be able to do certain things, or will need help with certain activities, I figured it would be easier if everyone at work knows, rather than trying to lie about it or look like I'm being lazy and get it trouble for not doing my job! 

A few close friends know as well, and I'm thinking of telling my parents and in laws soon, or maybe waiting til the 8 week appt...
  • Close friends and family found out around 12-13 weeks. Everyone else saw our Facebook announcement at 20 weeks, after the anatomy scan.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We told our immediate families all by 6 weeks. We figured we would want their support regardless and I am one to believe that every life should be celebrated, even if it's just by a small amount of people. But that's just me, everyone is different and that is so okay! I also told my boss as it does impact my work abilities. As for everyone else.... I don't know. I'm not in a huge rush, it's kind of nice having a small part of our world know and no one else. I am now almost 8 weeks and looking forward to our first appointment in 2 weeks!
  • I would love to tell everyone already but after a m/c in May, we are going to wait until the first trimester is over. I am visiting my sister in mid October so I think she'll be the first to know... well maybe mine and DH's family before that. Our anniversary is November 1, so that's probably when the rest of the world will know.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • We called my mom a few minutes after the BFP. We told the rest of our parents and siblings the next day. We were too excited to keep it quiet, plus everyone knew we were TTC. We slowly told close friends over the next few weeks and announced to everyone at about 8 weeks. My morning sickness is pretty bad so I wanted work to know. Telling people is so fun!
  • Just got our bfps this weekend. We were with DH parents yesterday but didn't say anything as we wanted to be sure. I'm seeing my mom end of the month and will tell her then so it's in person. And his parents after that. I'm guessing I'm 2-3 weeks along so it's wayyyy too early. One of my bffs knows. And I'll probably tell another close friend this week. Honestly I'm not good at keeping secrets. Twelve weeks seems like forever!

cat fail animated GIF

• Thanks for the opinions ladies! We did wait until 12 weeks with our first pregnancy and it did feel like forever! We just had our first ultrasound and everything is looking good. I'll be 9 weeks on Monday and we have plans for the reveal...it involves cute pictures so it'll probably my be close to 10 when we do announce. It's getting increasingly harder to not announce since I do have a pouch already and everyone knows we were trying. Several people have asked and my response has been we're working on it, lol.
  • My SO told his brothers and best friend within the weekend of me getting a positive test result at about 5 weeks along. We told our parents and close friends/family at 8 weeks, let the news out a bit more at 12, I told my bosses at 14 weeks, and then we announced publicly on Facebook at about 18 weeks.
  • We told our immediate families around 5 weeks. I told work at 8 weeks due to the high risk of my job and we announced publicly at 10 weeks. We had a miscarriage earlier in the year and a lot of people knew and we appreciated all the love and support so we wanted to announce early again as we were very excited.
  • I will be telling my sister this weekend when I see her (7 weeks), and I am still trying to find out when I can tell my parents.  It is important to me to be able to tell them in person because I know they will be so excited.  This will be their first grandchild.  That's the only thing keeping me from telling them.  Hubby wants to wait until Thanksgiving to tell his mother, and I assume we will just call his dad to tell him shortly after that. I am going to wait to tell my close friends at 12 weeks, and I will probably do a Facebook post after 16 weeks.
  • BabyBuddy15BabyBuddy15 member
    edited October 2015
    This is our first baby and first grandchild to my parents. I'm 8 weeks and my parents just visited this weekend and we told them the news. We would have told them sooner if we could have seen them in person. After telling them, we posted on Facebook. We are just so excited and trusting in God that everything will be okay. If not, we will have plenty of support from family and friends.
  • I personally don't plan on officially "announcing" via social media or anything. I will just tell friends/coworkers/family in person at around 12 weeks. My reason for this was that after my miscarriage in January, I found it really hard dealing with pregnancy announcements on Facebook and such so I don't want to unknowingly cause the same pain to someone I know that may be or may have recently gone through that.
    2 angel babies Jan 2015 and Nov 2015
    BFP Sept 2016
    Fingers crossed for a sticky rainbow baby!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • At 11 weeks now. We planned on waiting til 12 weeks to tell anyone, but I'm so glad we didn't (so tough to keep this a secret!)! We ended up telling my in-laws at 6 weeks bc my SIL told us all she was at 4 weeks. We told two close friends that same night since they were visiting from another state. October has been the month to tell my immediate family, close friends, and some extended family - especially if we got the chance to see any of them in-person. We have asked everyone to keep the news to themselves (and off Facebook) so we may do the announcement honors ourselves. Our 2nd appt is on Monday 11/2, and we will be telling coworkers and other friends that week. We are going to work the announcement into our Christmas card, and then will make it public on Facebook later in December. That's the plan, at least :)
  • I personally don't plan on officially "announcing" via social media or anything. I will just tell friends/coworkers/family in person at around 12 weeks. My reason for this was that after my miscarriage in January, I found it really hard dealing with pregnancy announcements on Facebook and such so I don't want to unknowingly cause the same pain to someone I know that may be or may have recently gone through that.
    I had the unfortunate timing of spending March 31 in the ER for an ectopic. So the April Fools twin pregnancy announcements the next day made me positively ragey. I actually got into it with a girl from college for posting one- they are just cruel jokes (not to mention wholly unoriginal). And really hurtful for people with problems with their pregnancies. I never really wanted to do an elaborate announcement as it was, but for the 4 months between my surgery and my next BFP, I got mad every time I saw one.
  • I'm only 5 weeks, but we told my parents and DH's parents on Halloween! Kinda a random time to do it, I know, but hey- at least we'll never forget it! We went to a Halloween activity with my parents and sat them down and gave them a card that I'd made. On the outside it said "Sneak Preview- Halloween Costumes 2016", with a collage inside of 'Mom, Dad & Baby' costumes! My dad knew immediately, but it took my mom a while to click, haha! We filmed everyone's reaction to the news. They're all very excited. We've been sure to tell everyone it doesn't leave the family until we announce it on Facebook at 12-14 weeks!  :x