June 2016 Moms
Options

Trying to get a job while pregnant

Hello,
I am currently a GM at a restaurant and Saturday is my last day. These 50-60 hour weeks are getting rough. My Boyfriend is the district manager so he's just going to run my store as well. I still would like to work until I give birth and I have a bunch of interviews lined up in medical offices (I'm a med student so I'll be happy to be working in my field). My boyfriend thinks I should tell them during the interview that I'm pregnant, but I'm afraid I won't get hired anywhere. I'm only 8 weeks so I have a while to go.
Thoughts? Opinions?

Re: Trying to get a job while pregnant

• Options
    I actually posted a similar question on one of the job threads a few days ago (my apologies to the ladies who offered advice and I forgot to respond).

My company is going through some organizational changes, and there is a chance my entire team could get laid off within the next few months. I am going to start looking for something now just in case, but it's daunting.

I was talking to the HR lady where I work and she gave me some reassurance. Companies looking to hire can't discriminate or NOT hire you just because you're pregnant. If I get to an interview, I will likely not tell them I'm pregnant unless it's already obvious. They also  cannot fire you after getting hired for not telling them you're pregnant.

I would go ahead and interview. Since you're only 8 weeks, I wouldn't mention anything about your pregnancy until after you're hired. 
    Others who have been through this already may have some better advice, but that is what I plan on doing unless I hear otherwise.

Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Personally I wouldn't tell unless I was showing. I'm not going to tell anyone besides family at 8 weeks, and I'm for sure not telling work at 8 weeks. I honestly think telling them would only hurt you- technically it's illegal not to hire you solely on that reason, but you probably wouldn't be able to prove it because you would never know.
  • Options
    @msbeachnj nailed it.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Options
    Thank you for all of the responses! I thought I had heard that they legally couldn't not hire me because of a pregnancy, but my boyfriend was saying it was wrong of me not to tell them so it was giving me a guilt trip I guess. I didn't want to get hired and then have my bosses mad at me when I start showing
  • Options
    I struggled with the same thing. My BFP came the day of my final interview.  They emphasized during the interview process they were a very transparent organization and were honest with me about the positives and negatives of the job. I accepted the job, but do not start until Monday. I finally decided to let my direct manager know I was pregnant.  I just don't like hiding things and it was stressing me out feeling like I was keeping it from them after they're investing in me. I work in sales so it's a very independent role- I don't have any managers in my state so I'm sure they have concerns about how I will perform. Tough choice, but you have to make the one that's right for you.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I quit my job yesterday. I probably have a valid wage claim against them (I wasn't getting breaks OR lunches on time...if at all) although I don't know if I will pursue it and cause myself more stress.
    Because of what I do, I almost have to be up front about pregnancy. I have a strong possibility of getting started at a new job next week. We'll see. Anything is better than battling all day MS without a break or adequate lunch.
  • Options
    I would say it up front.... integrity is pretty important.. I'm with your boyfriend.

If I employed someone and felt like they tried to deceive me it wouldn't last long.... I wouldn't want to employ them...
  • Options
    HBamama2BHBamama2B member
    edited October 2015
    Don't say anything. A) you are not required to do so and they are required by law not to ask B) it's not your boss' business if you're pregnant unless your job affects your safety or your health prevents you from running 100% as pps said. C) it's still early. Let the pregnancy develop. While it's all you can think about, ithe birth and subsequent time off are actually still a long way off.

My friend, a school social worker got laid off the day before she found out, found another job at the end of her first trimester, and told them shortly after starting Bc the new school system administrators were amazing and supportive. I told my boss we were doing IVF and about the BFP immediately when it worked (less than 4 wks). I knew I would have to come in late sometimes due to IVF apts and didnt want her to think I was job hunting. I felt able to do that Bc she and I have a pre-existing, great relationship and I know she won't discriminate against me even unintentionally by limiting my project roles. Despite what your partner or others say, there is absolutely nothing unethical in keeping private news private, while there is something definitively unethical in being angry about disclosure after hire and flat out illegal in acting on that ridiculous anger.
  • Options
    I worked in HR. Do not tell them you're pregnant while interviewing. They are not even allowed to ask about your family status. And right now it's so early it would be strange to bring it up
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MsBeachNJ said:
    I wouldn't tell them in the interview process... or when you accept the job. It is correct that they cannot legally discriminate against you for being pregnant, but they can always claim another reason if they don't give you the job, so I would leave it off the table entirely. If you're in the states, you also will not be eligible for job protection under FMLA if you're working there for under a year, but you can get 6 weeks of disability. (I work in HR) let me know if you have more questions! Best of luck to you! 
    THIS!!...Absolutely. I would not tell them.  A co-worker of mine interviewed for a different job in our company, but she told the hiring manager during the interview process that she was pregnant because she wanted to be honest with them. Because of this, they did not hire her.  Of course they did not say that was the reason behind her not getting the job.  They had some lame reason that really had nothing to do with anything, but you knew she was being discriminated against for that very reason. She was more than qualified for the job.

I have applied for a different job within this same company.  I start my first interview on Tuesday, and by then at 7w3d...I am not saying a word to them about it, not any time during the interview process, during the presentation I have to give, or if/when they hire me for this position.  I won't say anything until I'm officially showing and HR knows first.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    I agree with PPs who said do not tell them. You are not legally or ethically obligated to give them such private information. They are not allowed to discriminate, but that doesn't mean they won't. It will be next to impossible to prove it if they did. They just have to come up with some legitimate basis for giving the job to someone else.

Consider this: you are doing what's best for you and your family by putting your interests first . The company is going to do what's best for them by putting the company's interests first. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just business.

Good luck!

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    I just recently interviewed for a position, i had been battling my self on weather or not to mention anything about my pregnancy, especially since i dont have a due date yet and havent had a scan to see a heart beat or anything. Before the interview started I was upfront with her and told her look before we start this I want to let you know I am pregnant and it will be due some time in the summer. I worked in this same type of job with another pregnancy with no work restrictions or anything, and let her know that she was welcome to call that employer to verify. That being said the only reason I decided to tell them is because in my field we are abou 90% female, so its expected for women to have babys, it would mean extra monitoring from the company because of radiation hazards, and the position being filled is not an easy one to have some one fill in during materity leave. My interviewer was appreciative that i was honest, and said with the 3 facilities she runs she has a float person that its all they do is fill in for maternity leave and vacations. I was also offered the job that same day.
  • Options
    I'm currently having a hard time physically at work (I'm a waitress at a truck stop), and stress is through the roof. I would love to find another job, preferably go back to a desk job, but I'm concerned about being let go once they find out about the pregnancy. I'm not worried about interviewing, but a lot of companies have a 90-day probationary period, where they don't really need a valid reason to let you go. I know it's illegal to discriminate against pregnant women, but like it's been addressed in previous posts, it's almost impossible to prove that's what happened. I feel like if I'm going to pursue another job it should be now or never, but I worry about leaving my job security that I have now (my MIL is my GM), for something uncertain.
  • Options
    I was unfortunately laid off just last week from my corporate career. My job came with great benefits, amazing salary, a 15 min commute, and great work/life balance. (And what I now know was false security) The cuts to my area came completely out of the blue. I'm actively looking for another position elsewhere, but I'm finding that my former benefits/salary are hard/impossible to match.
    I agree with both sides of the argument-if I were a hiring manager, I'd appreciate the honesty upfront, but legally I don't have to disclose that I'm an expectant mother.
    Read up on your rights, ladies! There are laws put in place to protect us, just try to do what's best for you and baby.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the responses. Someone had mentioned the probation period, I live in Florida and it's a right to work state. So employers can fire you whenever and not really have a valid reason.