May 2016 Moms

Friday Ticker Change 10/30

Because I know all you Friday Mommas LOVE ticker changes ;)

Week/Fruit: 14/Lemon (2nd Tri WOOT)

Upcoming Appointments: Next appt had to be rescheduled for next week (instead of the week after) because my Dr. is moving offices or something, so next appt is 11/3. The Dr. will listen for the heartbeat with a doppler but no ultrasound. My elective ultrasound to find out the sex is scheduled in 2 weeks on 11/14, feeling silly about it but super excited.

Rants/Raves/Symptoms: I'm still exhausted, feeling a lot more pulls and twinges, getting headaches at night, miss regular poops. In general though, I feel so much
better these days.

Questions for the group: None!

GTKY (Stolen from Thursday): Who's your favorite musician? Have you been to any of their concerts? Paul Simon is my fave, never had the chance to see him live.

Re: Friday Ticker Change 10/30

• Week/Fruit: 12/Plum

Upcoming Appointments: November 5th! I'm So excited! Assuming that everything is a-ok at the appointment we'll be announcing on facebook next weekend. 

Rants/Raves/Symptoms: Ugh the heartburn has started for me. I've never had it before and I never know what is going to cause it but it just started so I'm not in the habit of carrying the medicine with me. Itchy boobs- especially nipples- OMG THEY ITCH which is just awful at work because you can't just sit there rubbing your boobs if you work on the children's floor. And I'm so ready for a bump that is more than just me feeling like I look like I've eaten too many eggo waffles. Though I will say one of my co workers who I just told because she was insisting I looked different is making my days because every time I see her she goes on and on about how I'm glowing. YAY! 

Questions for the group: None!

GTKY (Stolen from Thursday): Who's your favorite musician? Have you been to any of their concerts?  This is almost as bad as asking me my favorite book. I like a lot of music and it usually depends on my mood on how I answer- but today it's Celtic Woman - I've seen them in concert I think 5 times? They are wonderful! 
  • Week/fruit: 10/prune

Upcoming appointments: I had my first today! I was on the verge of tears for a bit as my midwife fiddled with the Doppler to find the heartbeat. I have an HMO so assumed an ultrasound was out of the question since I wasn't at the hospital, but after a few minutes she just said oh forget it I'm not billing this and turned on the machine. I got a surprise view of baby doing flips and spins and watch the heartbeat flicker. I was so relieved and grateful for her warmth and empathy in an awkward situation.

RRS: I'm with pp on the increase of twinges and pull type feelings, I had my first zing trying to get out of bed without making the pregnancy adjustments. Isn't it early for this?! Otherwise though, I really just have a smile on my face that everything looked on track today!

Question for the group: I forgot to ask the midwife if I should take a probiotic throughout pregnancy. Any insights?

GTKY: Oh this is hard for me because DH is really the one who fills our home with music choices. I really am enjoying the head and the heart lately, especially Charity, the woman of the group. We saw them in concert a few years back and her voice is just so captivating when they showcase it!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Week/fruit: 10/ date or prune

Upcoming appointments: Not till November 23rd and that will mostly be a check up to see if the infection I got has cleared up. My doctor was fairly concerned about it but tried to down play it for me. I've never been so religious about taking medication. haha. 

R/R/S: I'm so over morning sickness. I've had to announce my pregnancy to my coworkers early because I can't hind the running to the bathroom to puke anymore. I brought in a bunch of doughnuts today and put them in the break room with a paper that read, "Guess who's due! Coming May 27, 2016" It also had a picture of my ultrasound on there. I work with a 90% female staff who gossip a ton (much to my dislike), so I decided to have fun with it. It was hilarious! For some reason everyone thought it was another one of the teachers (who's a little slip of a thing) and she kept going, "Do I look pregnant to you?!" I'm fairly sure most of them know it's me by now and the rest will know by the end of the weekend. It was so much fun though.

Question for the group: Are you having an obgyn or a midwife do your prenatal/delivery? I'm starting to lean more towards midwife but love my ob.

GTKY: My favorite for the last year has been Phinehas. I adore the musical depth and meaning they have in their music. It's so hard to find that in metal music now of days. We've seen them live twice and got to hang out with them twice! Not much the first time but the second time we hung out for hours. It was amazing! I'd love to see them live again, especially with their new guitarist.
  • @lionstigersbears my OB recommended that I take a probiotic because I have a history of GI issues (colitis) - it actually slipped my mind so thank you for the reminder!! I think they are generally safe during pregnancy bit of course, best to double check with your dr.

@H0neyC0mb I have an OB who I really love. I didn't really look into the option of a midwife though, and sometimes wonder if I ought to but I'm a creature of habit and tend to stick with what I know so I'm unlikely to switch unless something happens to change my mind about my OB.
  • @H0neyC0mb midwife for me again! There's no blanket statement about who does what, but in general, the idea is that midwives view birth as a natural process and are therefore more likely to proceed with minimally invasive and less interventions should that be what you're going for. I know plenty of women who do this with their OB as well, so maybe start with thinking about what kind of birth you're aiming for and discuss with your OB? If it seems doable and they are supportive I'm sure it'd help to have someone you know and trust already!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • @lionstigersbears I really want to do it as natural as possible. I've even found myself leaning towards a home birth but Idk if I've got the guts for that! My ob is extremely locial and time sensative so that's why I'm hesitating to use her.
  • @H0neyC0mb the time sensitive part definitely would give me pause. Aiming to go as med and intervention free as possible takes patience sometimes to respect the birth process. Philosophically a midwife wouldn't push pitocin or anything unless medically necessary for safety reasons of some sort. Again, no guarantees that your OB would do that or a midwife wouldn't, but it seems there are more OB's who want to help the process along to the end versus waiting it out. Any chance you could find some local moms to see what providers are available? Could also start wth insurance and get a list of people/offices to call for info!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • @lionstigersbears I've set up a consultation with one midwife and plan on setting up consultations with a couple other midwifes on Monday. You're right that my ob would more than likely, "want to help the process along..." so I don't want to risk it! I did start asking around. I'm lucky that my friend group has for the most part chosen all natural births and have some great tips and resources!
  • Better late than never!

Week/Fruit: 10/Prune 

Upcoming Appointments: 11/3 - regular exam and we get to hear the heartbeat on Doppler. I had some spotting last weekend so I had an extra ultrasound this past Monday and it was amazing

Rants/Raves/Symptoms: Same - fatigue, back pain, headaches/migraines, food aversion, some nausea, a little bloat (which has gone down some so I think a bump will start emerging in a few weeks)

Questions for the group: None that I can think of. 

GTKY (Stolen from Thursday): Who's your favorite musician? Have you been to any of their concerts? I don't really have a favorite. I listen to all genres and it really depends on my mood.