November 2015 Moms

OT Football and Husband Rant

celiawilkinceliawilkin member
edited October 2015 in November 2015 Moms
Huge Nebraska fans here...and we suck this year. Really bad. Normally it doesn't bother me when my husband allows losses to ruin the day (because they generally ruin mine as well...) but this year especially sucks because we still have so much to do to prep for baby girl.

Anyone else have ideas on how to make him not be in a terrible mood all weekend??? I know this sounds insane but I'm at a loss.

Re: OT Football and Husband Rant

• I feel the same way you do. For me, it's less about his mood, more about the mere fact that football consumes Saturday and Sunday every weekend and I feel like I'm the only person who understands just how much still needs to be done before LO arrives.

You can try to talk to him and tell him how important it is to you that everything is ready by the time your little girl arrives. And that means focusing more on you, baby and the to-do list and less on football.
  • No advice here, but just wanted to say I'm also a huge Huskers fan and Mike Riley is really bumming me out! I feel your pain!
  • Loading the player...
  • I hear your pain. My husband is a huge college football fan and has also been letting wins and losses determine his mood and it has been driving me INSANE. I've been leaning on friends and family to get things done, but I lost my crap with it two weeks ago. We had to have a sit down and I just had to ask him if football was more important than our future son. He of course said no and I told him how I felt these were our last few weeks before our first child came and he was ruining them at times by obsessing over football. He's been doing better and he understands now how I feel, good luck!
  • I am the one bummed about my team. It doesn't ruin my day. UGA fan here. Tonight I went into the game not expecting much so I won't be disappointed. As for him give him a swift kick in the butt. We are ready for baby here.
  • Sorry about the loss BUT as a Boilermaker we'll take any wins this year (our team has been horrible).  

My DH is a huge cubs fan and it didn't help last week when I was trying to clean and prepare for baby and we lost.  After some space he was much better.
  • Huge Nebraska fan here as well! This season has been a stressful one! My husband however is not a Husker fan, he's a Miami Hurricanes fan (yeah that game was fun when we lost to them in overtime) ;) He's a sore loser so he does get upset when his team loses, luckily it doesn't last long when he's upset. Playing video games seems to be what makes him feel bett
  • I've felt your pain sort of. While my fiancé isn't a football fan, I did recently have a mini breakdown about how much we still needed to buy to prepare for LO's arrival. I felt like every time we went to the store to buy things for LO, my fiancé would laugh about the items I deem essentials and say things like "We have enough to get through the first couple of days" and "I can always run to the store". After a long talk/cry with my fiancé, we now have everything we need. Talk to your DH about how important getting things for your LO is and how it's time to focus on LOs arrival instead of the wins/losses of his football team.
  • We are huge Ohio State fans. My DH is also a huge Notre Dame fan. When we started dating, I liked them because he got me to like them...until they started losing. He would get so mad and ruin our day as well. What I did, to ensure this never happened again, I told him he was the reason why I now hate Notre Dame. They lose and he's a grouch. Not my fault. He wanted to take me to a game and I told him "no, I don't want to waste our money on a team I no longer care about." Until he can prove to me that he cannot be mad bc of a game, I will not watch another Notre Dame game with him. So far, it's been half of last season and this season. He's been great! He says that he's working hard and will get me to like them again.
    Good luck!
  • I'm the bigger sports fan in our relationship but I'll share what I found that helped DH get moving and get shit done. Each week I would write down 3-5 baby related tasks that we had to complete that week (you might need more since we are so close) I would go over my list with him when I wrote it. Then as the week would go by we would decide what if any tasks to accomplish that day. Hope this helped! Using this we had everything accomplished by 35 weeks!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Somewhat feeling your pain right now. DH doesnt normally watch sports BUT with the KC Royals in the series he is obsessed with watching every game. It has now turned into pregame, the game, and followup!! IF he isnt watching then he feels the need to give me the play by play from his phone!!!! I was excited too but this is killing any excitement I had for them. :(
  • I hear ya, girl! DH is a huge college & nfl football fan and takes his fantasy team very seriously. When we first started dating, it was spring. I had a HUGE wake up call when he informed me that fall that we'd have to work around his football schedule. Fast forward 10 years and he puts family time first and watches games any spare moment he can, BUT that also means he's constantly looking at his phone either checking scores or texting his buddies. I've had many small interventions about his phone, but one of these days I'm going to throw the phone out the window!

No advice here, but time and children helped put (most) of his priorities in check!