1st Trimester

Conceiving quickly after stopping BCP?

Wondering if any of you ladies conceived pretty quickly after stopping the pill? I took them for 10 plus years and took my last one October 3rd-the day after I got married. Just wondering about others experiences??

Re: Conceiving quickly after stopping BCP?

• I took BCP for 10 years continuously. I stopped them in June, and was actively TTC in early August, and got my BFP in mid October. So I would call that pretty quickly. Some people get pregnant right away, and some take longer. I know a couple people who got pregnant while on the pill (one I know didn't take it as directed) and I know some that took about a year. Everyone is different.

• I went off the pill a month before we started trying, then got KU the first month trying. 

However, every person is different, and it can take some time for your body to adjust after coming off BC. Also, there are many different kinds of BCP which use different hormone combinations. 

Good luck!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Wondering if any of you ladies conceived pretty quickly after stopping the pill? I took them for 10 plus years and took my last one October 3rd-the day after I got married. Just wondering about others experiences??

This will vary dramatically from person to person. It can take a healthy couple up to a year to conceive. Please don't look to the experience of others in this situation. Consult a doctor if you haven't conceived after a year if you're under 35, or after 6 months if you're 35 or above.

Personally, I stopped BCP in October 2013 after being on them for being on them for 5 or 6 years. I had 2 chemical pregnancies (Jan and Mar 2014), then had my BFP in July 2014 which resulted in my son.
  • Totally agree with @DustyMelons. Other people's experience will have absolutely zero bearing on yours. I was hopeful after stopping BCP that I'd get KU quickly but my periods never returned properly and between stopping the pills and getting my BFP were 19 months. My story is probably not the most typical and once my periods returned thanks to medical help I got pregnant in two months but I just want you to be prepared for the fact that it may take longer than you're expecting. Hopefully not though!!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I stopped the pill two years before my BFP. We were not actively trying for those two years tho. We wouldn't play hide the sausage during my ovulation times and my DH is proud of his "pull out game strong" *rolls eyes* we actively tried for 3 months this past June and I got my BFP in September, a week before my birthday! Haha like PP said, everyone is different and if it doesn't happen right away, it's normal and there is nothing wrong with you.
  • I stopped the pill last December and my cycles didn't regulate until June. Even then they were 40-50 days long. Just got pregnant this month, so it definitely didn't happen right away.
  • I stopped taking the pill in 2011. I got pregnant last month after actively TTC for 2 years...
    Met - November 2007
    Married - May 2011
    TTC LO#1 - January 2014
    BFP - Oct 19 2015- Due July 1 2016!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got pregnant my 4th cycke after stopping the pill, which I had been on for 10+ years. I was lucky though, my cycles returned immediately and we're 33-35 days in length. My best friend stopped the pill around the same time and didn't even get her period until I already had my bfp. Different for everyone.
  • edited October 2015
    I had been on BC for about 15 years and got pregnant after first cycle after stopping - so about a month and a half off the pill. It might have happened sooner but but we didn't try that first time I was ovulating. I think we were incredibly lucky, but I also have like clockwork periods (even in those pockets of time I didn't take BC) and can feel when I'm ovulating.
    A friend of mine got pregnant ten days after going off BC, but it was years ago when we were 18. Another friend took a year to get pregnant after having been on depo for a long time, but she was in her late 30's so that could've had something to do with it as well. 
    Congrats on your recent marriage and good luck!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Everyone's different. I went off BCP in July, starting ovulating immediately, and got pregnant in October (not actively trying). For PCOS women, some docs think it's easier to get pg right after stopping BCP (says my endocrinologist ).

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• I got pregnant next cycle (was surprised it happened so quickly) after going off BCP, which I was on for around 7-8 years. I was 35 at that time. But like the rest say, it really varies from person to person. Hope it will happen quickly for you xo
  • Yes. Took the pill for ten or so years and got pregnant the next cycle. However, everyone is different and timing is a really important factor.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• First cycle off the pill for me. Super lucky!
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I got pregnant while taking my pill (incorrectly). It just depends.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the messages ladies! I'm 33 and my husband is 40 so if it doesn't happen within the year, I will go get checked out. But hoping its sooner than that.
  • Thanks for all the messages ladies! I'm 33 and my husband is 40 so if it doesn't happen within the year, I will go get checked out. But hoping its sooner than that.
    I stopped taking the pill about 10 months ago. DH and I didnt start TTC until earlier this month (we used condoms). We got our BFP really quickly. I went off the pill because my OB/GYN said it would be a good idea to let my body get back into it's normal rhythms. I also started taking prenatals for almost a year but not nearly as consistently as I am now. DH and I also lost 30 lbs and 20 lbs respectively. I really think that helped! I'm not at my 'ideal' weight but i'm about 160 lbs at 5'6.  

We switched to a very healthy diet and I added sweet potatoes. IDK if the sweet potatoes really helped that much but there are some studies that they can help with ovulation. 

I would also suggest really paying attention to your cycles now. the CM and if you want to begin temping would help you figure out where you are in the cycle.  

It will take as long as it takes, but best of luck to you!! I hope it's sooner than later!! 
    Me: 27
    DH: 29
    BFP: 10/25/2015
    EDD: 7/5/2015!!

• I got PG 9 cycles after stopping BC, but that had nothing to do with why it took that long. I got my first PD post-BC exactly 28 days after stopping the pill and my cycles were on the shorter side (ovulating around CD10-CD13).  My husband had several sperm issues and had surgery to help fix them. After that, it took 3 cycles. But, our fertility has no bearing on yours and it can happen the 1st cycle, 5th cycle, 12th cycle, etc.

Read Taking Charge of your Fertility to learn more about your body and cycles. GL!

Me - 33, DH - 33
    Married - May 2014
    DH - Low Count/Motility/Morph - Varicocele vein x 2 - surgery (8/11) - success!
    BFP - 10/10/15, EDD - 6/20/16 - It's a BOY!
    Baby #1 - 6/29/16 - Lucas Christopher, 10 lbs 3 oz, 22.25 inches
    Baby #2 - TTC May 2017
    BFP - 9/10/17, EDD - 5/26/18 - It's a GIRL! - RCS May 22nd

My Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

• It depends on your body. I read horror stories about emotional rollercoasters and crazy hormones coming off the pill and prepared myself to deal with them. Not only did I not get any of the symptoms, I felt more emotionally stable than I had in years. Similarly, I had read about it taking 2-3 months to just properly ovulate for the first time after stopping.

In my case, I started charting when I went off the pill in mid September. I ovulated 13 days after my withdrawal bleed, and got my BFP less than a month after stopping BCPs. We were insanely lucky that my body got itself together so quickly after stopping and we hit the 20% chance of conception the first ovulation out. Don't expect it, I know I certainly didn't, but know it isn't impossible for it to happen quickly.
  • I stopped taking my BCP August 23rd and got pregnant less then a month later.
  • I was on the pill for 17 years and got pregnant in my third cycle off of them. But I miscarried. Then I got pregnant in my second cycle after the miscarriage.
  • i was actually on the Depo Provera shot for probably about 5yrs. i stopped in February & it took from then up until about May for my body to get on a regular cycle again. i got 2 regular periods & boom, pregnant after the 2nd one.

i read somewhere (cant remember if it was here or elsewhere) that 24hrs after stopping the BCP, you could get pregnant, depending on when you stop i guess. not sure if this is accurate or not tho.
  • Everyone is different. I went off the pill in April 2012 and didn't conceive until November 2014 and was actively trying during that time frame. No miscarriages (unless they were super early); I just had a hard time getting it to stick. My cycles never really regulated after being on the pill for 15 years, so it was super tough to figure out when I was ovulating.
  • However, every person is different, and it can take some time for your body to adjust after coming off BC. Also, there are many different kinds of BCP which use different hormone combinations. 

This ^^

I was on the pill for about 7 years and I got pregnant within in the first month off. I ovulated later so I actually had no idea that I got pregnant, I figured not getting my period was just my body out of whack after stopping the pill. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was on the BCP for about 4.5 years straight. Stopped the pill on September 20th, period started September 25th. I'm now 5 weeks pregnant!! :)
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Decided to go off nuvaring sept 3rd, to stop trying not to have a baby, see what happens, etc. I got pregnant immediately
  • I was on pill since I was 16, so 12 full years. I ovulated 3 weeks later, and now I'm 4 weeks pregnant!
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Both times I did the month after! Good luck!