December 2015 Moms
Options

Book recommendation

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the whole sleep/feeding thing! It's really important to me that baby has good sleep habits and I want to try as early as possible to start instilling these habits!

Does anyone have any good book recommendations for this! I'm thinking ones that read less like a text book as my attention span is about the size of a gold fishes right now!

Thanks in advance!!!

Re: Book recommendation

• Options
    I read Happiest Baby on the Block because it is so popular on Amazon. I found the theory interesting but the real stories started to become redundant. As a FTM no idea if any of it will work.

I loved French Kids Eat Everything (I read it a few years ago when I was working with a lot of picky eaters). There is an emphasis on not getting overly emotional when a child refuses to eat something. So many parents get so emotional about foods mealtime becomes really stressful. 

I also found Bringing Up Bebe interesting, I read it because I liked the French kids eat everything, this book provides a little more cultural background for French Kids Eat Everything. I found the most interesting part of this book "the pause." The author claims that in France babies typically sleep through the night by 3 months. The theory is that babies wake up between REM cycles and if you don't pause to let them try to fall back asleep on their own you may fully awaken the baby which prevents the baby from learning how to connect his/her own sleep cycles.
  • Options
    @TomekiaB thanks!! I will look into thuse
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bombmom3Bombmom3 member
    edited October 2015
    I don't really have a good book recommendation for early sleep habits. Mainly because almost all the research I found said if you are breastfeeding the best way to do it is on demand - which means your little one is going to wake when he or she is hungry (so some nights every hour, others every four). I was pretty wrapped around the axel stressing about how I was going to train my kid to sleep (everyone kept telling me how you have to train them to self soothe and get a good sleep cycle and cry it out this and gentle sleep that). Honestly, the kids work it out themselves. If you are nursing, be prepared to have your sleep broken up into two to four hour chunks. You WANT them to rouse that much at first, anyways, to reduce the risk for SIDS. I guess I was lucky - my girls figured sleep out just by us having a regular bed time and night schedule (everyone is in bed at 8, no exceptions). After week 8, both girls slept in minimum 4 hour chunks (most nights it was closer to 6 hours for the first chunk, then 4, then 2 - then it was 8am and time to start the day lol). Then they discovered their fingers and slept like logs for 6 to 8 hours at a time starting around 6 months (and the introduction to solid foods). Not preaching and certainly not telling you to avoid sleep training. Just sharing my experience with it.

Now for feeding solid foods, I really LOVED The Baby-Led Weaning Cookbook. This method worked so well with both my kids. No picky eating issues, no jarred baby food, no supplementing with vitamins/shakes because they were only eating three things. So amazing! I got comments all the time about how folks couldn't believe what and the amount of food my girls ate at a very "young" age (and it was all healthy, good food).
  • Options
    Baby wise!!! All my mommy friends swear by it! Great for sleep habits!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • Options
    No, no, no on Babywise. Please don't use that book.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I read the Happiest Baby on the Block with my first. Every baby is different and not all techniques will work. Neither of my boys liked being swaddled. No matter what I used they would get our if it. So I found using the halo sacks with a long sleeve onside was the best way for them to sleep at first. One thing that worked with both of my boys was setting a routine for bed. We did this from getting home from the hospital, and though they would wake up through the night for several weeks, they went to sleep with no issues. It is what worked for us.
  • Options
    I don't recommend reading The Happiest Baby on the Block- it is sooooo redundant! Simply look for the youtube video "happiest baby on the block 1" and you get all the info you need in 30 minutes.
  • Options
    redfallon said:

No, no, no on Babywise. Please don't use that book.

Why???
  • Options
    You reallt dont need a book. Babies sleep when they sleep which is alot at first. Once your baby goes longer between feedings then you can start to teach them the difference between night and day. Both of my boys have great sleeping habits all i followed was the never wake a sleeping baby rule unless your baby isnt gaining weight there is no need to wake for feedings. They will wake up when theyre hungry. Also have a bed time routine even if you know the baby will be up soon to feed your baby will learn quickly that bath, lotion massage, book/song means bedtime. Or whichever routine you choose.
  • Options
    Ok I'm going to have to wiki this book!!
  • Options
    Babywise is the "cry it out" method, correct? I'm a FTM and I've heard people say to do this, but for the life of me I can't imagine I'd be able to. It seems to go against instinct, and because of that I don't trust it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I think self soothing is important, but crying it out is stupid! Especially in infancy!

I read the wiki summery on the book and it seems extreme. I don't think I can call myself an attachment parent. I guess it's about finding a balance for you, baby and your lifestyle.

I think my plan will be to read what I can about different types of parenting, and then use what I like!
  • Options
    Bombmom3Bombmom3 member
    edited November 2015
    Bottom line is you should never do something that makes you uncomfortable - whether it is advice from an award winning/popular book or from friends and family. You are going to know what works for you and your baby best. For whatever reason, I was able to let my first child cry for five or ten minutes (not as a newborn but an older infant) when I put her to bed at night and not be bothered by it. With my second, if she cried the tone was her panic cry and I could not sit through even two minutes of hearing it. So we changed up how we dealt with nights where she didn't want to go down (basically rubbed her back and stayed with her a bit rather than the drop and flee method we used with #1 lol). I'm sure #3 is going to need us to switch things up again. There are no cookie cutter babies, I feel methods/books kind of try and make one thing work for all personalities when there is never going to be one sure fire method that works for everyone all the time.

*edited because my pregnancy brain is so bad that when I re-read this even I had no clue what I was talking about.
  • Options
    breezypip said:
    Babywise is the "cry it out" method, correct? I'm a FTM and I've heard people say to do this, but for the life of me I can't imagine I'd be able to. It seems to go against instinct, and because of that I don't trust it.

It isn't just "cry it out". It is an extreme book.

Jamie

• Options
    spottedgingerspottedginger member
    edited November 2015
    redfallon said:

breezypip said:

It isn't just "cry it out". It is an extreme book.

Edited: quote box fail
    Now I'm so curious about what it entails. Not to use it, but because that is crazy and I trust your judgement based on knowing you here. Hmm.
  • Options
    redfallonredfallon member
    edited November 2015
    From 1998, but it's from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP). https://www.aappublications.org/content/14/4/21.abstract
    From The Stir and mentions the AAP warning. https://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/110170/babywise_the_most_controversial_parenting

Jamie

• Options
    Thanks. And wow. Just. Wow.
  • Options
    I get an awful feeling in my stomach whenever someone recommends Babywise. Say no to Babywise!