Trying to Get Pregnant

Avoiding THE test...

Am I the only one that avoids testing when you miss your period? We've been TTC for almost a year now and I have very irregular cycles. I really want to test, but I know it will just and in sadness because I'm sure I'm not pregnant. Each morning I look at the box just before I go to the bathroom and each morning I tell myself that tomorrow will be a better chance...well here I am, almost 2 weeks late and all I can think is that I'm just not having a period this month. It's been pretty steady for about 6 months,but that has fooled me in the past... Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this!

Re: Avoiding THE test...

• kfarley74 said:
    Am I the only one that avoids testing when you miss your period? We've been TTC for almost a year now and I have very irregular cycles. I really want to test, but I know it will just and in sadness because I'm sure I'm not pregnant. Each morning I look at the box just before I go to the bathroom and each morning I tell myself that tomorrow will be a better chance...well here I am, almost 2 weeks late and all I can think is that I'm just not having a period this month. It's been pretty steady for about 6 months,but that has fooled me in the past... Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this!

How do you know you're late? Have you been temping to confirm O? I'd rather test and know one way or the other rather than hope/wonder day after day.
  • If it's been 2 weeks, I would test. If it's a couple of days, then I would hold off. Sounds promising!
  • Loading the player...
  • Exactly. If you know you are late by temping and cm then TEST! 2 weeks is super promising!

Addison (DD) born 6/10/12
    M/C 3/3/14 Due 10/8/14
    Rainbow Koen (DS) born 7/9/16

Lfafer  you want to have in your playgroup  * Best Baker  * Sweetest Lfafer * Best NBR\GTKY Threads*  Most Supportive Lfafer *   Best Mom * Lfafer you want organizing your meal train after birth

• It sounds from your post like you may not be temping and charting. You will probably find a lot of comfort in charting because then you would really know when to expect AF and when you won't.  Read the newbie thread at the top for more info.
  • I usually let my temp tell me if AF is coming. Testing is just to hard. The disappointment makes me depressed. If I plan to drink, I test but I don't drink very often.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
    ~Formerly @dogmomwantinghuman ~
    Me: 29 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since January 2015
    BFP #1: 11/30/15| MC 12/16/15BFP # 2: 6/2/16 | EDD 2/16/17

• Sorry I disappeared, I posted just before bed and have been busy at work this AM. I did forget to mention that I am charting my temp and use OPK. And thanks everyone.  I don't drink very often and when I do it's no more than a glass so I have never really worried about that aspect of things. I guess after over a year of being disappointed, I am putting off the inevitable! Time to just break down and do it!
  • Good luck!!!!! FX!!! I also hate testing. The BFN is honestly so soul-crushing.
  • I think you're feelings/experiences are relatively normal. I've done some reading in the FF "Q&A" section, and they said that one of the reasons that they don't recommend testing prior to when AF is due is because it's so disappointing to many women to get the BFN. It certainly makes sense to test given where you're at in your cycle, but the reluctance to do so is understandable.
  • kfarley74 said:

Sorry I disappeared, I posted just before bed and have been busy at work this AM. I did forget to mention that I am charting my temp and use OPK. And thanks everyone.  I don't drink very often and when I do it's no more than a glass so I have never really worried about that aspect of things. I guess after over a year of being disappointed, I am putting off the inevitable! Time to just break down and do it!

So you confirmed ovulation and are two weeks past your normal LP? I assume you are using FF?

If so, test girl... Peer pressure.
  • Kristin712Kristin712 member
    edited October 2015
    I feel like this is a drive-by waiting to happen.

ETA
  • LasscherLasscher member
    edited October 2015

I feel like this is a drive-by waiting to happen.

ETA
    Yes I completely agree this is a set up for a drive by, however I'm not sure we can blame OP for updating at this pt....

@kfarley74 just an FYI if you get a BFP post on TWW and/or just move straight to BMB boards don't update here. The culture of the board is such that unless you are a looonnnng time poster you shouldn't announce your BFP in an individual thread. People will get very angry. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 16 BMB-December Siggy Challenge- Holiday Animals 

• So, just to clarify, you have confirmed ovulation by temping and you are now two weeks past your expected AF date? So you're what, somewhere around 28 DPO? What cycle day are you on? If you've ovulated, you'll get your period, so I'm not sure where that fear is coming from. 

This, to me, seems to go farther than a fear of a BFN. I understand not wanting to test early because BFNs are just soul crushing. I even understand not wanting to test until 16DPO or 18DPO or whatever FF recommends. But if you're honestly, truly, at a 28-day LP then you need to test. You either are wrong about your O date, pregnant, or something is going on with your body that you might want to discuss with a doctor. 
    Married 6/20/2015
    Mirena removed 7/6/2015
    TTC#1 July 2015
    BFP 12/4/2015
    Sam born 8/4/2016

• Agree. Sorry to have not have made that clear in my post. If you do get a positive, please don't post it here.