May 2016 Moms

Question for Overweight/Obese Ladies

I lost over 60 pounds prior to getting pregnant, but am still around 40 pounds over a 'healthy' weight. My doctor has not expressed any concerns since I am active and overall healthy.

However, my personal goal is to gain less than 20 pounds in total. So far, I have been maintaining. I'm hoping to maintain for another month or two before I start gaining slowly. I'm not counting calories, just eating until satisfied and more frequently.

What are your experiences and goals? Do I seem to be on a reasonable track?

Re: Question for Overweight/Obese Ladies

• I am far more overweight that you and was with my last pregnancy too. I gained 15 pounds and all of that was water in the last 2 weeks from pre-eclampsia. I ate what ever I wanted and was no active aside from my job where I stand for 8 hours a day. Everyone is different.
    Met: 11/2/2004
    Dating: 3/24/2005
    Married: 11/5/2011
    Eleanor Leeann: 5/14/2015
    Baby # 2 Due: 5/17/2016
  • I am obese and my OB has recommended gaining as little as possible while staying healthy and active. I have actually lost about 10lbs due to HG, but as my appetite is slowly coming back, I am just keeping an eye on portion sizes, focusing on nutrient rich choices vs empty calories, and continuing with an active lifestyle including a lot more swimming since it is something I can continue even as the baby grows and joints get wonky. @proudparent2b you sound like you are on the right track! Some OBs are more stringent about weight loss than others, but I think it is great to have a personal goal as well as following medical advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm about 40 lbs overweight also and you seem to be on a very reasonable track. Wth my 1st pregnancy I gained 15lbs, and my 2nd 20lbs. Both times I weighed the same within days of having my girls as when I became pregnant. I lost weight both times in the 1st trimester, due to morning sickness, and didn't start gaining until the 2nd. So far I'm on the same path with this baby.
  • I am about 50lbs overweight due to severe hypothyroidism, it's impossible for me to lose weight and seems I gain weight just looking at a piece of pizza. I ate really really well before finding out I'm pregnant (well, rather before the symptoms started to hit) but not with my morning sickness, the only thing I can keep down is carbs and crummy food. I've gained 4 lbs which makes me super nervous. I'm hoping to get back on track in the second trimester (hoping my nausea and vomiting get under control in the next few weeks as second trimester approaches). You most definitely sound like you're on the right track!
  • Don't worry about your weight! Trust intuitive eating and focus only on getting the nutrients baby needs.

Now is not the time to be dieting or upping your exercise regimen.
  • That is good goal, but don't let your weight goal control what your body is telling you. I was about 15 pounds overweight when I got pregnant with my son and my goal was to only gain 25. I gained 40+. But, it was all belly. I was back to my PP weight after about two weeks and I could have worn my pants and shirts had it not been for the giant watermelon in my uterus. My kids was big (9lb 4oz) and a 25 pound goal just wasn't going to happen. So, your goal is good, but as you start to gain, don't stress and pay attention to where and how you are gaining. You'll be fine!

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• hellogoodbye2hellogoodbye2 member
    edited October 2015
    I am considered obese. With DD I was instructed to gain around 10lbs total and to try to not start gaining until about the 20w mark. I ended up gaining a total of 16lbs and my doctor was very pleased. I had a very healthy pregnancy and delivery.

I'm about 10lbs less than I was starting out with my daughter, but my plan is still the same.

You don't have to go all out on healthy eating and dieting as long as you keep your portions under control and continue exercising moderately you'll be just fine!
  • I'm obese, roughly 100lbs more than I should be. This is my 2nd pregnancy. With my first I weighed the same. I lost about 20 lbs in the 1st trimester last time, and have lost about 6 this time. Food aversion! Last pregnancy my last weigh in before delivery was 8 lbs more than starting weight, and after baby was 2 lbs less. Don't stress, us bigger ladies can have healthy pregnancies.
  • Thanks ladies! I appreciate all your stories!