January 2016 Moms

Braxton Hicks at 27 weeks!!!!

I've been getting BHC since about 20 weeks maybe twice a day. I'm now 27 weeks and now I'm having then at least 3 to four an hour. My doctor has put me on bed rest. I'm so afraid that this could lead to active labor. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this???????

Re: Braxton Hicks at 27 weeks!!!!

• nickicb7nickicb7 member
    edited October 2015
    I am not, but my BFF does get really intense strong BHC too. This is her third pregnancy and she says they have become noticeable earlier with each pregnancy. I don't think she has them as frequently, though, just intense.

I'm glad to hear your doctor is monitoring it. I had read that if its four or more an hour you need to consult a doctor. I hope that resting helps you and that nothing further develops.

Stay positive and keep us updated.

edited: posted to early
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • I've had a few episodes where they are probably even more frequent than that, but after several days they taper off. So far no signs of active labor here. I was on bedrest with my first child and so far my OB hasnt suggested it with this one. Hoping I can hold off! Bedrest is no fun, mama, plus dealing with all the worry about the baby possibly arriving too early. Hang in there and just take it one day at a time.

• Loading the player...
  • I get frequent, intense BH depending on what activities I have been doing. The longer I am up and active the more I get. Usually they taper off within a few hours with lots of rest and water. My midwife told me to keep track and time them when they are very frequent. She is not very concerned as long as they are not painful and organised. Needless to say, this has led to a lot of couch time for me. Good luck and I'm glad your doc is monitoring :)
  • Drink a couple large glasses of water and relax. If you're already lying down when they start, get up and move around gently. Obviously don't listen to me if your doctor's advice differs.
  • edited November 2015
    Yes I have them - I'm 27 weeks too but this is my 4th pregnancy. Mine are very frequent (every couple of minutes) & severe (almost unbearably uncomfortable). I feel like I've had a work out after!!!! I haven't heard of being put on bedrest for them! I did check with midwife the last time I had them but after tonight's intense 2 hour or so episode I think I'll check in with her again as it does seem early to be getting them this bad :(
  • I've been having tons (my third pregnancy) they checked my cervix via u/s though and said I'm not progressing or anything so I'm not worried. I figured I would have them more this time.
  • Geez - mine are getting so bad now that I think I'll go down to the day assessment unit tomorrow at the hospital, to get checked out. Mine are fiercely strong and now I have a constant ache in my belly and back! I'm 27+5 with 4th baby.
  • I called Labor and Delivery Friday night because of some stomach and back pain, they asked me to come in so they could check for kidney stone or infection. But when I got there and they started monitoring me it turned out I was have contractions about once a minute! Kept me there for 5 hours withIV fluids, and they couldn't get them to stop. But my cervix is closed, so they sent me home. I'm not on best rest, per se, but I need to "take it easy" and up my already high water intake.

They said if I get more than 4 an hour I have to go back in.
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married 11/24/13
    DD1 born 12/24/15
    TTC #2 Aug. 16
    BFP for #2 11/22/16

Aug17 December Siggy Challenge: Funny Pics of Kids Afraid of Santa

• lwebleylwebley member
    edited November 2015
    I was just admitted Thursday night and released this morning for preterm labor. My contractions are about 2 mins apart, 1cm dilated and 50% effaced. After 3 days of monitoring, magnesium, and steroids, I'm now home on bed rest and Nifedipine. My contractions don't seem to be changing my cervix and they aren't painful so that makes us hopeful she'll stay put a little while longer.

Edited to add I'm 29w 6d today. Due Jan 11.

Edited again to add that the same thing happened when I was pregnant wish DS and he wasn't burn until 37w :) the only difference
    was no bed rest and I was not dilated at all.
  • I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that BHC, which are normal and healthy and not a sign of preterm labor or anything else to necessarily worry about, should be irregular and should go away or at least lessen in strength if you drink some water and change what you're doing. Usually change what you're doing means rest, but if you're lying down when they start it could mean get up and move around a little.

If you're feeling contractions that are regular (every x minutes rather than at irregular intervals) and don't stop with water and rest, they may be real contractions, as some PPs are talking about. If you think you're having real contractions this early, please call your care provider ASAP. Also drink water and lie down while waiting to talk to someone.

I hope I don't cause anyone unnecessary worry. BHC are super common and that's probably what almost everyone is feeling. It just sounded to me like BHC and preterm labor contractions are being used interchangeably and I wanted to make sure everyone knows the difference and that one is nothing to sweat while the other warrants some attention.

Note that everything I'm saying is based on my research last pregnancy, not info I got directly from a dr or midwife. I'm just some chick on the Internet so give my advice the appropriate weight. :)
  • I have them but not as frequent as my last pregnancy. I hate them. They are starting to hurt.
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • mg137 said:

I just wanted to make sure everyone knows that BHC, which are normal and healthy and not a sign of preterm labor or anything else to necessarily worry about, should be irregular and should go away or at least lessen in strength if you drink some water and change what you're doing. Usually change what you're doing means rest, but if you're lying down when they start it could mean get up and move around a little.

If you're feeling contractions that are regular (every x minutes rather than at irregular intervals) and don't stop with water and rest, they may be real contractions, as some PPs are talking about. If you think you're having real contractions this early, please call your care provider ASAP. Also drink water and lie down while waiting to talk to someone.

I hope I don't cause anyone unnecessary worry. BHC are super common and that's probably what almost everyone is feeling. It just sounded to me like BHC and preterm labor contractions are being used interchangeably and I wanted to make sure everyone knows the difference and that one is nothing to sweat while the other warrants some attention.

Note that everything I'm saying is based on my research last pregnancy, not info I got directly from a dr or midwife. I'm just some chick on the Internet so give my advice the appropriate weight. :)

@mg137 I was just thinking the same thing :)