October 2015 Moms
Options

Newborn nasal congestion

I know it's "normal" but it's driving me insane! I feel like she can't breathe :( any suggestions on what to do?

Re: Newborn nasal congestion

• Options
    Saline spray. Just a few drops in each side.  DD sounded like a trumpet when she was breastfeeding, now she's pretty clear.  Use the bulb suction to get out the boogers.  The saline spray will soften them and make them easier to get as well as clear up the nasal passage.
  • Options
    Super gross, but the nose frida is a good quick fix! I've seen them at Target and Babies r Us, and there are some good YouTube videos on how to use them.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I use a humidifier in my room. Seems to have helped!
  • Options
    Drives me nuts too. My pediatrician said it is normal it just sounds awful because their airways are so small. I was also advised to not frequently suction baby as you can actually irritate the nasal passages and cause swelling.
  • Options
    My 2 1/2 week old is dealing with this too! I put a drop of saline solution in each nose suctioned it out, which didn't seem to do much, but then a minute later he sneezed and a ton of funk came out. I also put a pillow under his bassinet mattress to elevate his head slightly and have been using a humidifier at night. It probably bothers me more than him, but hearing him struggle to breath while trying to eat is heartbreaking!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I tried the saline solution (I just mixed 8oz of water with 1/2 tsp of salt) and did 2 drops in her nose and then suctioned and she sounds so much better and is sleeping peacefully :) thanks for the advice ladies!
  • Options
    I'm glad you posted this! I tried the saline and it seems to be helping. Now he's so quiet I had to get up to make sure he was still breathing
  • Options
    Ours was really bad. We put humidifier in our room, used saline then nose Frida before bed, put a hand towel under bassinet mattress for a very slight incline and started feeding upright BC if would also happen from reflux. Improved dramatically !