June 2015 Moms

Sleep training methods

Hi ladies,

I was just reading up on the Ferber "cry it out" sleep training method. I would really love to have baby go to sleep on his own. He is used to being rocked at night and when he wakes up in the middle of the night we rock him as well (most of the time it's me doing the MOTN feedings etc), this is becoming exhausting.

Can any of you suggest any sleep training methods that have worked for either your current LO or older children? if you can include an on line link it would be very much appreciated!
Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Sleep training methods

• If you look in the thread baby sleep at 4 months @Sammy K and @Sjeff0816 have given a lot of advice on the Ferber method.
  • Ah ok! I'll go check there! @caitlincunn
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • beemaya83beemaya83 member
    edited October 2015
    There are over 100 messages over there. I want to buy the book. Can someone tell me if I can do this method if the baby sleeps with us in the same room?? We are remodeling our home and it will be a few months before he sleeps in his own room. Baby does sleep in his crib.

@Sammy K @Sjeff0816
    Pregnancy Ticker

• From the book:

10. If your child sleeps in a crib in your room, you should put him into the crib at bedtime and then either speak to him briefly at the scheduled intervals from your bed, or—if your presence in the room is too stimulating, or if you prefer it—leave the room and come back in to check him at those intervals, as you would if he were in his own bedroom. (If he learns to fall asleep with you out of the room, you will have more freedom in the evening. You can accomplish the same thing even if you stay in the room as long as he doesn’t know you’re there—for example, if he can’t see you from his crib, or if it is fairly dark and you are quiet.) When he wakes at night, do the same.
  • We have lo in our room also and I didn't think about that. I wanted to do Ferber method mainly for naps so being in the room doesn't matter, for bedtime she goes in the crib around 7:45/8 and we watch tv for an hour or two after that. Once I start Ferber then we'll see how it goes I guess but if she's still crying by time we're ready for bed that's going to be horrible . I won't let her cry that long!
  • @beemaya83 It probably depends on your schedules. We put LO down at 7, which would work fine but I get up at 5:30, which would probably wake LO. If you don't mind getting ready in another room, it would probably be fine. You won't have the luxury of turning the monitor down, but hopefully it will help quickly. I would put up a sheet or something to block LO'S view as well.
  • Oh sleep training... I have been in the thick of it for a week now! I hadn't planned on moving her into her crib until 5-6 months.( lo just turned 4 mo) But I came down with an aweful cough and couldn't have her sleeping in our room. So , the first night I put her rock n play into the nursery .. She slept all night without waking ! After a couple days of that .. I decided to go ahead and try her in the crib .. And to my surprise she did great. I am using a handful of different methods as far as sleep training goes. I had been rocking her to sleep for naps and bedtime and I was exhausted . So when she took to the crib right away , I knew it was time to sleep train ! I do the cry it out method but I check in on her randomly ..mostly just to give paci quickly and exit. A few times I have had to stay a minute or two and rub her belly but I never pick her up. I am impressed with how quickly she has taken to the new routine. Naps are still tricky but she is consistently sleeping thru the night :)
    If you can just dedicate one week to really getting on a routine it will pay off!
    It has also helped my husband and I by having our room back... We are all getting more sleep and that's a good thing !
  • Ok I am ordering the book!!! Thank you ladies! I plan to start at 5 months which will be in a couple of weeks. He is going through that 4 month sleep regression. I swear I had a great sleeping baby before then.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Has anyone had luck or tried the pick up put down method? (Pupd?) Another sleep training method. my sister used it when she was at her witty end with her 9mo and worked for her (now he sleeps through the night) from what I've read pros are you don't have to leave the baby crying cons are usually doesn't work as fast as cio. Takes a week or so. Any experience???!!
  • I think each baby is different .. I'm not sure if the picking her up would work .. I think she would cry harder when I put her down and leave ?! Fortunately she doesn't cry like crazy .. She mainly whines a little off and on .. I don't know if I could let her CIO if she was screaming the whole time :( I think no matter what method you choose , just be consistant and don't give up too soon ! Just think of the years ahead and how you will have a great little sleeper ☺️
  • I'm in a new mom's group and we had an occupational therapist specializing in sleep training come and speak to the group. She talked about 3 methods that she has had success with.
    1) cry it out
    2) the check and leave (this one you check in baby, soothe by patting or shushing but never picking up)
    3) the pick up, put down (she said she preferred this)

She also stressed that sleep begets sleep! Successful naps = positive night time sleep.

One thing she did talk about though was that sleep training before 5.5-6 months is often too early and in her experience families that tried this had to do it again at that 6 month mark to make it stick
  • kbooth412 said:

I'm in a new mom's group and we had an occupational therapist specializing in sleep training come and speak to the group. She talked about 3 methods that she has had success with.
    1) cry it out
    2) the check and leave (this one you check in baby, soothe by patting or shushing but never picking up)

She also stressed that sleep begets sleep! Successful naps = positive night time sleep.

One thing she did talk about though was that sleep training before 5.5-6 months is often too early and in her experience families that tried this had to do it again at that 6 month mark to make it stick

What's the difference between CIO and check and leave? Ferber's method has you "check and leave" on a schedule. Soothing is ok, picking up is not. Is her CIO just let them cry to exhaustion?

As far as age, all babies are different. DS was between 4 and 4.5 months and we never had to retrain. Although, I'm just now starting to realize what a rock star sleeper he is/was.
  • Sammy K said:

kbooth412 said:

I'm in a new mom's group and we had an occupational therapist specializing in sleep training come and speak to the group. She talked about 3 methods that she has had success with.
    1) cry it out

What's the difference between CIO and check and leave? Ferber's method has you "check and leave" on a schedule. Soothing is ok, picking up is not. Is her CIO just let them cry to exhaustion?

As far as age, all babies are different. DS was between 4 and 4.5 months and we never had to retrain. Although, I'm just now starting to realize what a rock star sleeper he is/was.
    According to this woman CIO is literally crying it out. The check and leave to me sounded like the Ferber method. In her version you just cut back the amount of time you soothe, not the length of time you let them cry. I don't know the Ferber method other than what I've read here.

I should say that these were just tips that she gave our class - nothing I've really looked into much beyond that
  • Is the title of the book "solve your child's sleep problems"? @ChardeeMacDennis
    Pregnancy Ticker

• beemaya83 said:

Is the title of the book "solve your child's sleep problems"? @ChardeeMacDennis

Yes. The actual method is in chapter 4.