June 2016 Moms

Early scan saw the heartbeat !! But what is a hypoechoic area ?!?

Hiii today I had an early scan as I had some pains to one side yesterday, went back to the hospital today and had an internal scan going from my last period I date myself as 7 weeks 2 days when I had the scan I could see the baby straight away and the little heart flickering it was absolutely amazing :(( :x she measured baby and said I was only measuring 6 weeks 2 days has this happened to anyone ? Spoke to the nurse after and she said everything they needed to see they did baby's heart beat, baby & yolk sac all in the right position :D she gave me a report to give to my midwife on my booking appointment and i noticed it says there is a 8x5x6mm hypoechoic area inferiorly to the uterus most likely a bleed but she never mentioned this to me I've not had any bleeding now I'm worried as to why she didn't say anything to me has anyone else had this ? xxx

Re: Early scan saw the heartbeat !! But what is a hypoechoic area ?!?

• Hmmm. I have never had a hypoechoic area during a pregnancy but if the doc didn't mention it then i'm sure it's nothing to stress over. On another note i did have my first ultrasound today. According to my last period i thought i was 7w 5d. The doc told me i am measuring 6w 4d. I am concerned but the doc didn't seem to be. Glad i am not the only one lol!
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah mine didn't seen to be either just said I was a week less than I had thought I was so annoyed haha if anything I was hoping I was further on but I got to see the heartbeat and I saw the little yolk sac feeding baby :x amazing isn't it xx
  • Loading the player...
  • cluelesssmcluelesssm member
    edited October 2015
    It really is such a good feeling to see the heartbeat!! And i was also happy to see only one baby in there lol!! :)
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think the change in EDD just means that you ovulated later than CD14 like the pregnancy charts assume.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • TunieBeeTunieBee member
    edited October 2015
    Hyperechoic means that tissue, fluid, whatever shower up as a brighter area on the ultrasound. It could indicate any number of things so if your doc didn't mention it, they're probably not concerned. My guess would be they will follow it with repeat ultrasounds to see if it resolves and/or changes. Interesting they said it was likely a bleed as fluid and/or blood usually shows up anechoic (dark vs bright). Since it was inferior to the uterus, it could be a normal anatomical structure, possibly a ligament, or maybe a fibroid. Take this with a grain of salt, this is nowhere near my area of expertise...

ETA: Congrats on the heartbeat and please update us with any info you find out!

• @TunieBee I believe she said HYPOechoic. In which case blood or any fluid or fluid filled cavity would be correct.
  • Wonderful news! Congrats on you little bean!
    1st Pregnancy: EDD 12/31/15; Diagnosed Turner's with terminal cystic hygroma 13wks; induced at 14wks, +3 d+c's.
    2nd Pregnancy: BFP 10/8/15; EDD 6/21/16

• @TunieBee I believe she said HYPOechoic. In which case blood or any fluid or fluid filled cavity would be correct.

Oh got it. Sorry. Late night and misread...sounds right.

• I too apparently have a little pocket of blood! Most of the time it resolves itself :) try not to worry!
  • Me too, little blood pocket! Doc isn't worried at all
  • Thank you girls :) I think the fact the nurse didn't mention it to me and didn't seem concerned it must be fine like she said everything is as it should be can't wait to see baby bean again :x