Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Breastfeeding & Marijuana

Please no judgement. i have not used marijuana since i found out i was pregnant with my little man. i am now 2 weeks postpartum, and exclusively breastfeeding. ive read about how you shouldnt smoke marijuana while breastfeeding, and also read about how they havent done enough research on it. i was just wondering if any of you moms have done it, or are doing it, & how it effected your baby, or your milk supply?

Re: Breastfeeding & Marijuana

• Loading the player...
  • Please no judgement. i have not used marijuana since i found out i was pregnant with my little man. i am now 2 weeks postpartum, and exclusively breastfeeding. ive read about how you shouldnt smoke marijuana while breastfeeding, and also read about how they havent done enough research on it. i was just wondering if any of you moms have done it, or are doing it, & how it effected your baby, or your milk supply?
    Why risk it?

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• nlwz123 said:
    Please no judgement. i have not used marijuana since i found out i was pregnant with my little man. i am now 2 weeks postpartum, and exclusively breastfeeding. ive read about how you shouldnt smoke marijuana while breastfeeding, and also read about how they havent done enough research on it. i was just wondering if any of you moms have done it, or are doing it, & how it effected your baby, or your milk supply?
    Why risk it?

Yep. Pretty much this.
  • edited October 2015
    Social services can take away your child if shown positive for marijuana. We had a newborn baby come to us. The poor baby was "stoned" for a month until the drug cleared the system. Very negative on the baby's brain from what we could tell. The personality came out nearly to the day the social worker said the marijuana would leave the system. Please don't set your child up for failure.
  • Not a smoker myself, but I do have an acquaintance that smoked with both of her babies. I'm sure she still continues to do so, and surprisingly her ped. doesn't say much about it. I did hear that once her DD went off of her ganja-milk she was very cranky and didn't sleep well. I imagine she'll have the same results with DS.

No judgement here, it comes from the earth ready to go, but I just don't think any potential risk is worth the calmness it gives you. Maybe just a glass of wine here and there until you're done BFing?
  • megan5111 said:
    If you haven't smoked for such a long time, why don't you want to wait a little longer? Yes, they haven't done enough research, but it is better not to risk. Of course, there are cases when medical marijuana is prescribed by a doctor, but as I understood, this is not about you. I guess, your baby's health is more important than smoking. I would wait. 
    @megan5111, you do realize the baby is now about three years old, right?