Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Breastfeeding and Sleep

Hello Bumpies! I am new - to this board not the bump. I posted a lot with my birth month group, but once the baby was born, was super busy between the baby, my 4 year old and going back to work. Now, he is going to be 9 month old on 10/9 and I am back at work full time and I am EXHAUSTED ALL THE TIME. Lincoln is the sweetest baby, but seriously he's up 2-3 times a night wanting to nurse. He has not been great at taking solid food so my attempts to fill him up at bedtime have failed. I am not a fan of sleep training  ( I couldn't let he cry it out anyway because he would wake up his 4 year old sister and that would be even more exhausting)  With my first I feel like she was only waking up once a night at this time. Between working and nursing I am SO tired. Any suggestions for getting him to sleep longer?

Re: Breastfeeding and Sleep

• My LO is almost 7 months and still up twice a night and then up for good around 5. I also have a 5 year old, so sleep training makes me nervous... Last thing I want is 2 whiny cranky kids up! I have started to bring baby in bed to nurse and we both just fall asleep while he's eating. It minimizes the disruption to both of our sleep routines. Like your baby, my son is not big on solids so I know that he legitimately still needs to eat at night.
  • OP is he actually nursing for a decent amount of time or just using you for comfort? 2-3 MOTN feedings for a 9 month old sounds like a lot IMO.

If you feel that the feedings aren't actually necessary nutrition wise and it's just for comfort then I suggest you try some sort of sleep training. It might be hard at first because of your older child but it will be worth it in the end. I have a 3.5 year old and a 1 year old and surprisingly my older child NEVER woke up once when I was sleep training. We keep a box fan going in his room and even though his sister's room is right next to his, he never heard a thing.

Whatever you decide, you have to be 100% consistent night after night for it to work.

• Loading the player...

• Hi Mums and mums to be! I am looking for a very good and reliable breast pump and then came across https://www.ilsbabycare.com.au/breast-pump/. Has anyone tried this product yet? some feedback would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
  • edited October 2015

Hello Bumpies! I am new - to this board not the bump. I posted a lot with my birth month group, but once the baby was born, was super busy between the baby, my 4 year old and going back to work. Now, he is going to be 9 month old on 10/9 and I am back at work full time and I am EXHAUSTED ALL THE TIME. Lincoln is the sweetest baby, but seriously he's up 2-3 times a night wanting to nurse. He has not been great at taking solid food so my attempts to fill him up at bedtime have failed. I am not a fan of sleep training  ( I couldn't let he cry it out anyway because he would wake up his 4 year old sister and that would be even more exhausting)  With my first I feel like she was only waking up once a night at this time. Between working and nursing I am SO tired. Any suggestions for getting him to sleep longer?

This was me until my baby was 5 and a half months she was up every 1-2 hours all night. Yikes, that takes a toll. Especially those feedings between 3-5am. Killer.

Honestly I know that this isn't an answer you want, but sleep training worked for us. Like magic. In one night. And it wasn't that bad. She didn't cry much. And it made a huge difference in one night. Because of this experience, I recommend sleep training! I think my baby was just trained to feed everytime she woke up. At the time it felt like I HAD to do it, and I thought if I didn't she would keep us up all night so at least when I get up with her we go back to sleep after and my husband wasn't too disturbed. I never dreamed that if I didn't nurse her she'd go back to sleep on her own, pretty quickly, and then start sleeping through the night almost immediately. I know every baby is different, and I hope I don't sound too smug (seriously like 3 weeks ago this happened so I know how bad it was before.) but I just thought I'd share in case that helps at all. 

"It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson