Baby Names

Suggestions for DD2

JadaBlueJadaBlue member
edited October 2015 in Baby Names
My husband and I are excited to welcome our second daughter in April. We’re having trouble finding names we both like and would appreciate your suggestions and comments on the two ideas below. We prefer unusual names but nothing which has only come into use in the last couple of decades (we don’t mind older created names—my own is a literary invention and DD1’s is also relatively new). Our last name is easy and only one syllable, so we’re looking for a multi-syllabic first name. “Eloise” (or Louise or Louisa) is a family name which we’ll definitely use as her middle name.

DD1 is Saoirse (seer-sha) Aurora, and while we love her name, we’ve already looked at many other Gaelic names and not found one we both adore. We obviously don’t mind if the name is a mouthful. Thanks for your ideas and feedback.

Suggestions for DD2 90 votes

Calista Eloise
57% 52 votes
Dahlia Eloise
42% 38 votes

Re: Suggestions for DD2

• neither of them are my style
  • Neither are my style, but both are fine. I picked Calista because I love the nn Callie. I don't think either go particularly well with Saoirse, but that's not a huge deal
  • Loading the player...
  • I absolutely love both of your names. I think Calista goes better with Saoirse.
  • I wanted to like these because I love Saoirse, it was our girl name but we had a boy. But Calista makes me think of Calista Flockhart and anorexia and Dahlia makes me think of the Black Dahlia and murder.

So my un-asked-for suggestion is Aoife to go with Saoirse.
  • I love both names actually. Dahlia is one of my favorites but I prefer Calista in your case. Great choices.

• Both very pretty. Voted Calista though, in my mind it just flows a little more easily.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Dahlia is beautiful!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• I like both. Calliope is also a pretty option instead of Calista?
  • Thanks everyone! We're not worried about DD2's name going well with Saoirse, we would just want to avoid anything too matchy (e.g. I really like Cecily but it feels too close). More suggestions would be quite welcome!
  • I'm afraid neither fn is really my style, although I love Eloise. When the mn starts with a vowel, I tend to think it flows a little better to have the fn end with a consonant, or at least a very different vowel sound. Maybe something like Adrienne Eloise? Celeste? Arwen? I actually adore the name Cecily and I don't think it's too matchy with Saoirse at all.

Kudos for having the balls to pick Saoirse, too! :) I love, love, love that name, but I'm too afraid my kid would hate having to teach EVERYONE how to spell and pronounce it. It's just too uncommon where I am.
  • Calista is beautiful and underused. I think Eloise would be a great fn too.