April 2016 Moms
Options

Holes on ultrasound?

I've tried to do some lurking on the topic but haven't been able to really find anything. So I figured I'd ask you lady's. There seem to be 2 "holes" in my sons abdomen? While I know that you ladies aren't doctors and can't do any diagnostics. I was wondering if maybe you all had any experience with this yourself or maybe it's something that's normal. This is my first child and I am already worrying about every little thing.
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Married: May '15
M/C: May '15
Expecting DS: April '16

Re: Holes on ultrasound?

• Options
    *Not a DMS here* but I'm thinking abdominal organs - stomach and bladder or something of the like?
  • Options
    I'm definitely not qualified to give you a real answer, but black in xrays means the organ is full of air. I'm guessing ultrasounds are similar and you are seeing hollow organs. If the tech and Dr. haven't said anything, I definitely wouldn't lose sleep. If something was wrong they would tell you right away so you could plan and prepare.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Black is liquid on an ultrasound. So no need to worry.
                                                                                  image

• Options
    cglr2012 said:

I've tried to do some lurking on the topic but haven't been able to really find anything. So I figured I'd ask you lady's. There seem to be 2 "holes" in my sons abdomen? While I know that you ladies aren't doctors and can't do any diagnostics. I was wondering if maybe you all had any experience with this yourself or maybe it's something that's normal. This is my first child and I am already worrying about every little thing.

Liquid = black on US.
    Although I've seen this structure in all baby US, I'm not perfectly qualified to tell you what it is other than it looks normal. I think it may be gallbladder, but really any liquid will show as black.
  • Options
    Two holes w/liquid... Im thinking kidneys?
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

cglr2012 said:

Liquid = black on US.
    Although I've seen this structure in all baby US, I'm not perfectly qualified to tell you what it is other than it looks normal. I think it may be gallbladder, but really any liquid will show as black.
    What color is air? Now I'm wildly curious because I know next to nothing about US and I like being able to pick out structures when I see LO. I did see all four chambers of the heart a few weeks ago :D
  • Options
    air shows up in MSK ultrasound like bubbles with a grayish tint when we do joint injections anyway .i know fluid is black and bone is white that's bout it. My office has ob/gyn , family med, and sports medicine so I work 50/50 between sports and ob/gyn. I definitely know more about musculoskeletal ultrasound than ob ultrasound so I'm not much help :(
  • Options
    thaisac1thaisac1 member
    edited October 2015
    Ai

thaisac1 said:

cglr2012 said:

Liquid = black on US.
    What color is air? Now I'm wildly curious because I know next to nothing about US and I like being able to pick out structures when I see LO. I did see all four chambers of the heart a few weeks ago :D
    Air is a barrier to ultrasound . You can not ultrasound the lungs, for instance, for that reason.
    The reason you see the chambers of the heart as black is because they are filled with blood. :)

Air is black on X ray though.
  • Options
    jonesl12 said:

air shows up in MSK ultrasound like bubbles with a grayish tint when we do joint injections anyway .i know fluid is black and bone is white that's bout it. My office has ob/gyn , family med, and sports medicine so I work 50/50 between sports and ob/gyn. I definitely know more about musculoskeletal ultrasound than ob ultrasound so I'm not much help :(

You can see bubbles from agitated saline because they are air pockets encapsulated in liquid. So you are seeing the liquid. But free air is a barrier to ultrasound, it makes ultrasound imaging worse.
  • Options
    thaisac1 said:

jonesl12 said:

You can see bubbles from agitated saline because they are air pockets encapsulated in liquid. So you are seeing the liquid. But free air is a barrier to ultrasound, it makes ultrasound imaging worse.
    I've only seen bubbles from depo-medrol injected into joint spaces if I don't clear 100% out of the syringe. The depo itself is a white liquid so the bubbles appear different I guess.

• Options
    Thank you ladies for your help! I knew it was probably nothing serious or they would have told me, I just wanted to get your opinions :)

• Options
    jonesl12 said:

thaisac1 said:

jonesl12 said:

I've only seen bubbles from depo-medrol injected into joint spaces if I don't clear 100% out of the syringe. The depo itself is a white liquid so the bubbles appear different I guess.

Yes, the common theme is bubbles within liquid can be seen. But free air can't. :)
  • Options
    I was told the stomach is full and bladder in previous scans so presume it's this
  • Options
    I was told they were the baby's organs in mine :)
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! You definitely put my mind at ease.