3rd Trimester

Edible Mason Jar Gifts... With Shelf Life?

I would like to prepare some type of edible treats to give as nice, yet very affordable gifts to friends/ family who may visit once baby arrives in December.  I am thinking something that can be put into a mason jar, and then I can add some festive bow or ribbon to the jar.  It needs to be some type of food that will last for a while, since I want to prepare them before the baby comes.  I am not a huge fan of putting raw ingredients in a jar (such as ingredients for baking cookies or bread), since the recipient still has to do the baking/ cooking work. I was thinking maybe some type of jelly/jam or treats or something else, but I am just not sure on the shelf life… I want something that has a shelf life of at least 6 weeks.  Any suggestions?

Re: Edible Mason Jar Gifts... With Shelf Life?

• Pinterest
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • DustyMelonsDustyMelons member
    edited October 2015
    I would like to prepare some type of edible treats to give as nice, yet very affordable gifts to friends/ family who may visit once baby arrives in December.  I am thinking something that can be put into a mason jar, and then I can add some festive bow or ribbon to the jar.  It needs to be some type of food that will last for a while, since I want to prepare them before the baby comes.  I am not a huge fan of putting raw ingredients in a jar (such as ingredients for baking cookies or bread), since the recipient still has to do the baking/ cooking work. I was thinking maybe some type of jelly/jam or treats or something else, but I am just not sure on the shelf life… I want something that has a shelf life of at least 6 weeks.  Any suggestions?
    You want to give favors to people when they come visit you and your newborn baby? I'm stunned by your generosity. Trust me, this is really going above and beyond. No one expects a new mom to be handing out gifts, even if it's the holiday season.

With that being said-
    Does it have to be edible? If so I think the jam/jelly idea is good since you've nixed a baking or soup mix. The only other edible thing with a long shelf life I can think of would be something pickled. Or maybe a homemade hot chocolate mix? Adding hot milk or water certainly isn't complicated.

If you're ok with non-edible ideas that would obviously open up a lot more possibilities. 
  • Loading the player...
  • The reason I was leaning more toward edibles is because they tend to work for both men and women, whereas the non-edibles I found seemed to be geared more toward women (bath/body products, etc.)  I would be open to non-edibles, as long as it is nothing too difficult.  One year I made candles and it was way more difficult and time consuming than I care to do this year.