Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

2 year old not talking yet

Hi,

My son is 2 in six weeks and still not talking yet. Do I need to start worrying. It really bothers me!
He understands absolutely everything though. Only words are Mama, Dada and Nana (he loves bananas!)
Thanks

Re: 2 year old not talking yet

• Yes he should have a lot more words by now. What does the Pedi say? I believe they should have roughly 5 words at 18 months and then at least 10 by 2 years.

I would definitely make an appointment to see someone about this.

• Ask your pediatrician for a speech therapy referral or look into birth-3 early intervention services.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My youngest brother (12+ years younger) was the same way and it turns out that he wasn't talking because his ears were full of fluid so he couldn't hear and repeat properly! He ended up needing tubes in his ears and as soon as the tubes were in and his ears drained he started talking quickly!(:
  • my friends child in 2 and she still doesn't talk either when she took her to the ped he sent them to a speech pathologist and they told her it was fine she would learn more words eventually and just to keep repeating the words to her but it is for sure something you need to talk to your ped about and get a referral to a speech pathologist.
  • My youngest brother (12+ years younger) was the same way and it turns out that he wasn't talking because his ears were full of fluid so he couldn't hear and repeat properly! He ended up needing tubes in his ears and as soon as the tubes were in and his ears drained he started talking quickly!(:

This ^^
    My nephew was the same, but he was also tongue-tied.  The pedi never looked under his tongue to check.  It was a double whammy for him.  Once the tubes went in the ears and the tongue was cut, he worked with a speech therapist and now speaks just fine.
    Have your doctor look in his mouth.
  • Definitely get a referral. Might not be a big deal but it's worth looking into!
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • My son is 21 months, not talking much either. We got the referral to be safe.  Same thing, he understands everything, I am actually not too worried. However, I don't want him to be 3 and still not talking then on waiting list for a referral.  It doesn't hurt.