2nd Trimester
Options

Partial Placenta Previa

My Doc called me today to notify me that my 19 week anatomy scan found I had a partial anterior placenta previa. Of course, I googled and now I am terrified. Plus, my Mom had over 30 years ago, she almost died and the baby didnt make it. So thats all i keep thinking about. If its partial, can it be come a complete? Looking for your success stories to help encourage me through this.

Re: Partial Placenta Previa

• Options
    I'm pretty sure the partial can only move up as ur bump grows. I had complete previa and now at 27 wks I have partial. If it doesn't move again I will probably have a c section. Also found out I have an accessory lobe. Which is another small placenta up higher on the opposite side. Just have to take it easy and they told me complete pelvic rest.years ago they couldn't see these things
    In advance so it was more dangerous. But now days, they know so they can plan according to it. It's pretty common really. Try not to worry and stay away from Google.
  • Options
    I had a friend with a complete around 20ish weeks that moved entirely by 28. It does happen.

And if it doesn't, it is good to know now and be able to be prepared. I think the reason people used to not survive (or nearly not survive) is they weren't as easily detectable- 33 years ago, my mom had a single ultrasound and it was only because I am a twin. So far, I have had about 4  and I am not high-risk or anything, it is standard at my practice.

With the technology we have now and the ability to diagnose them so early, I think they are relatively routine (if not coupled with anything else). I hope it moves, but if not- it sounds like you have more than enough time to prepare for the birth and will likely have some additional monitoring.