1st Trimester

Any industrial soon to be moms out there?

I'm having some trouble right now, my husband is very mad at me because I continue to work with chemicals at my job. I use a mostly water and phosphoric acid based cleaning machine that irritates ash out of silicone bracelets after the design has been burned into it. I also use spray power, and armor all on a daily basis. Do you think that this is going to harm my child? My boss says as long as I dont ingest it or get it in my eyes I'll be fine but I'm honestly concerned. Mostly stressed because my husband is driving me up the wall.

Re: Any industrial soon to be moms out there?

• Honestly I work in an office so I have no idea but I would definatly be concerned if I were you. What does your doctor say?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If you are in a well ventilated area it shouldn't be a problem but i would definitely talk with you doctor.
  • Loading the player...
  • There should be MSDS data available for any chemicals you work with regularly. What do they say?
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• RunBooRun said:

There should be MSDS data available for any chemicals you work with regularly. What do they say?

This is exactly what I was going to say. In a situation like this the dr may not even be sure so I would definitely consult the MSDS and have human resources look into this on your behalf if you don't find enough information to satisfy yourself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hey guys, I've figured it all out. Boss was pretty upset I kept asking about it, but the nurse at the doctors office said that if my boss has it ventilated I should be alright. I appreciate it! We also went over the MSDS and even though they aren't that safe, I can take necessary precautions to prevent any bad exposure. But, honestly I think I'm better off looking for a new job just in case.
  • I work in a laboratory so I work with chemicals daily. I consulted the MSDS as soon I found out and I've taken more precautions (face shields and change gloves constantly). Does you work do any exposure studies through a third party company? My lab does every 3 years. So if I was concerned, I just asked my boss to show me the studies for that particular analysis. The exposure levels should be less than the OSHA limits. I work with sulfuric acid, low amounts of mercuric sulfate, phosphoric acids too etc etc.