October 2015 Moms
Options

Milk coma?

CmonigaCmoniga member
edited October 2015 in October 2015 Moms
Anyone dealing with an LO who appears to be in a constant milk coma?

I was super concerned when I noticed my DH (8 days old) was presenting as lethargic for hours. She just sleeps and is limp, poking and prodding does not phase her. This started last night. I asked her doctor this morning and she said it was normal and was a "milk coma". I'm just really worried bc I find it so strange. It happened all day today for hours. It's really scary when you have a newborn who is just so limp and won't stir for hours on end.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Will it ever end? I know it seems crazy, as if I'm asking for a fussy baby, but I just want to make sure it's ok. She doesn't wake for feedings- I wake her every 3 hours. She is breast feeding and does about 10-15 min total between the two sides- then she passes out.

Just as a side LOL moment I'm pretty sure I posted a discussion about a week ago complaining that I didn't think my newborn would ever sleep 8-}

Re: Milk coma?

• Options
    Yes. I spent like 4 hours trying to feed my girl today. She is so sleepy. I knew she was hungry too. I usually have to pester her for the entire time I nurse her. She lost so much weight that I have been very diligent about feeding every 2-3 hours.
  • Options
    Probably means you finally have really good milk in. Then they go back to a growth spurt and wanting to eat ALL the time. Back and forth for the first year. As long as wet/poopy diapers are in constant supply baby is good. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This exactly. At first I thought she was so sweet and calm but I was starting to worry but I'm feeling better knowing I'm not alone. She does have somewhat elevated bilirubins but doctor isn't concerned.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What has her bili count been? Day 7 is when we needed a bili blanket to help get rid of jaundice. Jaundiced babies are very hard to wake to eat. We had to be on a 2 hr scheduled feedings for 4 days.
  • Options
    My LO had elevated bili's to where he had to be under the lights at the hospital and he was extremely sleepy which they say happens. His levels are down and he's more alert but I'm still finding I have to wake him for feeding especially if it's only been 2 hours and I have to pester him to wake him. Have you tried getting yours just down to a diaper? Or change her diaper right before? The cold wipes usually wake my little guy right up.
  • Options
    The doctors haven't mention any concern of jaundice. I always change her diaper before feedings to make her more alert. The periods of lethargy are not consistent- they happen randomly. Yesterday she was basically asleep all day but today she appears to be cluster feeding and been up for hours.
  • Options
    Have you checked out new born growth spurts/feeding spurts? I googled it and it seemed to have a lot of answers for me on how my LO is feeding and sleeping these days.