December 2015 Moms
Options

Used to being self-sufficient and getting frustrated

I'm used to doing a lot of stuff on my own that I can't do right now and it's frustrating the heck out of me. Picking up bags of dog food, yard work, painting the walls, etc. Either I can't do it at all (can't lift heavy stuff), I'm not allowed (paint fumes) or I feel wiped out trying (raking leaves). That nesting urge is getting worse and I want to bring order to my chaos, but the physical limitations are getting me. I can ask hubby to help and he will (well, except for yard work - I think that's a 4 letter word to him) though I dislike asking for help all the time. I love you baby boy, but mommy needs her body back soon. ;-)

Re: Used to being self-sufficient and getting frustrated

• Options
    I feel you. Just went to persmart for dog food and had a moment when I seriously did not know if I could get it into my cart. I hate asking people for help!
  • Options
    Totally get this! I have extremely bad pelvic pain and it's really slowed me down. I walk slower, I can't move like I'm used to and forget lifting anything heavy at all. I hate asking for help but my body just can't handle it anymore. Only a few more weeks!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is happening to me a lot these days. I have always been a really independent person, and having limitations from my own abilities is making me nuts. I can no longer work 60+ hours a week, run 10 miles, or even do little things like run a couple of errands without feeling completely wiped. I get so frustrated with my own lack of ability to just push through things like I normally do. It is really hard for me to slow down, but I know it's for a good reason, and it's only temporary. You will be yourself again in a few short months, and in the mean time, do your best and forget the rest mama. 
  • Options
    Ah this makes me feel like I'm not alone! Grocery shopping with a three year old and a one year old, vacuuming, bending over to pick up something...I love nap time!!
  • Options
    100%, and it's good to know that I'm not alone!  I've had a few meltdowns because I can't do everything that I used to, or even the amount that I used to.  DH reminds me that I'm growing a person and still wonder woman to him which makes me feel better...and then I realize all of the stuff that still needs to get done and I can't help but get upset.   [-(
  • Options
    We moved and I helped DH move a table which was a mistake I paid for a few days at 24 weeks or so. I've gotten much better at thinking about things before I just lift something. I wanted to go to IKEA by myself because getting it to fit DH's work schedule is rough, he veoted that idea and made plans to come home earlier so he can go with me.
  • Options
    I hear you, too. I'm very used to doing things for myself, or handling things around the lab I work in. Asking for help has been hard for me, even with plenty of people willing to do so. Truthfully, it gets easier the further along you are (34+2) to accept help, bc you just run out of energy. I can barely reach my shoes right now, let alone lift heavy boxes!
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Yes! Well... I'm a little more extreme since I'm on modified bed rest and I'm not ALLOWED to lift anything, go shopping in a store that requires any walking or do any type of housework besides very basic stuff. I'm very independent and active as well and I can say this has been the most frustrating experience ever. I can't even set up my nursery... I have to tell my DH what and how I want it all done. He's been absolutely wonderful about it, but I'm the kind of person that would rather do it myself, plus I'm more detail-oriented so I've decided to drop some projects like a wall decal that I know I would enjoy doing but would drive DH crazy.

People I work with keep saying "oh it must be nice to be in bed rest and work from home"... Uh... No. It's hell and I'm bored and helpless (but it's all worth it for the little one of course)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh always fun... Why do they put things pregnant women need on the bottom shelves too? I can't bend or crouch or anything well, but needed lotion and wanted to grab a tub of tuck's and both items I wanted were on the bottom, cat food always on the bottom (the size/type we get), and goodness please don't drop anything on the floor! I have dropped my wallet and just had to stare and try pitifully to pick it up until my husband saw me and started snickering.

Ready to be able to do things, would be nice to clean a spill off the floor that needs a small tissue rather than trying to get the swiffer or something.. High or low things even! Trying to get something off a shelf I can normally stretch to or stand on a chair, I can't even lift my leg that well without pain and getting back off the chair from standing is a feat of it's own so I've gone to having hubby move all my stuff from those shelves all over the counter which looks cluttered but is at least within my grasp.
  • Options
    It sucks, I can't empty catheter bags at work or bend for anything, can't help move patients, I'm basically half a nurse. I can barely put my shoes on and I when I drop things I usually just leave them there. But it's almost coming to a close ladies and we will be able to move and lift and walk lol
  • Options
    I have a cold this week, and I've been so weak and tired. I hate it!! Hubby is gone during the week, so I don't have any help at home. I want to do all these things like clean and go grocery shopping, but it'll have to wait til I feel better. I miss being able to move quickly and get stuff done as fast as possible.
  • Options
    We're all in the same boat! These limitations are for a purpose and it will all be worth it in the end! I teach third grade and our science kits are delivered to the school. This unit is our rock unit and it says weight is 38.5 pounds. My young, energetic coworker had to carry my rock science kit to my second floor classroom. I'm glad she was there to help because I was going to have to call my husband for after hours help.
  • Options
    I tried yard work on Sunday! I made it about 20 minutes and 3 rake fulls of weeds before I gave up and told the hubs that it's as good as it's gonna be.
  • Options
    I am a chef in a kitchen and i cannot even pick of cases of anything im constantly asking for help plus im short and noy suppose to be on ladders ao i can never get stuff off the top shelf
  • Options
    I wish someone would offer to help me! Taking the trash out has become 10x's harder. And don't even get me started about lugging loads of laundry up and down stairs. :|
  • Options
    I actually legit cried over this this morning. I hate asking for help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    vera1127 said:

I been crying about this for like two weeks, in the shower though cuz I'm too proud to let my baby daddy see me cry.
    Lol

• Options
    iqueeley said:

vera1127 said:

I been crying about this for like two weeks, in the shower though cuz I'm too proud to let my baby daddy see me cry.
    Lol

I cried the first time I had to ask DH to tie my shoes. He always does it too tight!!
  • Options
    Sleep without:
    Babies kicking and rolling
    Braxton hicks
    Hunger pains at 3am
    Hip pain
    I just peed an hour ago.... Seriously!!
    Being thirsty at all hours

I miss sleep and I know I won't get a full night for some months to come.
  • Options
    Definitely cried today because I kept dropping socks while folding laundry and I couldn't pick them up. So difficult and frustrating!!
  • Options
    Dropping things is starting to get me to. I have to think about it - "should I try to pickup my pen or do I just go get another one off the shelf...? Shelf it is." LOL I want to put up Halloween decorations too but can't reach. Hubby doesn't seem to care so unless I give in and ask for help it's probably not happening. Pride is a difficult thing. Sigh
  • Options
    I've had such a hard time with this too! I'm a do-it-myself woman and now that I'm reaching the end, everyone is making me calm down! At my baby shower, everyone was forcing me to sit down and they were moving things around for me, also getting up to get my food, it was just frustrating. I feel like I can still do things myself! My DH is always telling me to just rest, sit, sleep, but we're also moving. So he has been moving EVERYTHING and I feel so bad and useless. He packed a couple of 2 pound bags for me to "help" with, which is sweet of him but it's so frustrating to just feel like I'm sitting back and relaxing. Also bought a small tv at Walmart the other day which was not even 5 lbs and the people were like "we need to help you, plz don't have your baby in Walmart"