January 2016 Moms

Is anyone else suffering with SPD?

I have been experiencing severe pain in my lower back and pelvic region. My doctor at first suggested I wear a pubic girdle, which I purchased, but did not alleviate the pain. I have now been diagnosed with SPD and besides the embarrassing waddle I have recently developed and the fact that I cannot spread my legs in any way without feeling a sharp pain coursing through my lower extreme legs... I'm great. Sigh. Anyone else suffering with this or have experience from a previous pregnancy? I was told that the only permanent solution is delivery. I am also wondering whether this caused anyone to deliver early, simply due to being unable to function through the pain?

Re: Is anyone else suffering with SPD?

• mrhargrmrhargr member
    edited October 2015
    I had it last pregnancy (just some soreness so far this time around). Anytime I got out of bed, rolled over, got out of my car, etc my pubic symphysis would pop and grind and OMG the pain. Moving really slowly when I couldn't distribute my weight evenly would sometimes help but really delivery was the only thing that gave me relief. I delivered on my due date FYI.
  • I have it. I didn't even know it was possible, until I started experiencing symptoms and asked people about them and they told me about SPD. It's extremely uncomfortable, especially since I walk all the time at work. But today I only worked a couple hours and came home have been sitting on the couch all day, and so far it's the only thing that has provided relief.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, it's horrible. Rest a lot. Keep your knees together when you get out of the car. Sit down to change your pants etc etc. The only thing that helps is rest.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • I've got it too. To me driving makes it worse and I have quite a long way to work so my doc signed me off so that I can rest. PP has given good advices. You can't do much, just rest as much as you can. I hope you feel better soon!
  • I read a book called "relieving pelvic pain during and after pregnancy" because I was feeling a tightness/heaviness/pain when I walked in my lower abdomen. It has some good exercises that I do every night in addition to some from a YouTube video that I found (I'll have to look for that later and post here), and I feel some relief. I also bought a pelvic belt from Amazon but it's a nuisance to wear so I stick with the stretching/exercises daily. Good luck!!
  • I have a mild case compared to many, I'm in pain all day when I'm out and about, I'd say a 4/10, by the end of the day a 6/10. I can still function and manage all of the stairs at work so I'm still working but I take it easy any other time I can. As soon as I get home it's legs up in the recliner!
  • I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but I have been having pubic pain and this week it has been way worse. Getting up, walking, doing stairs... I can't even handle it. I cried last night I was in so much pain. It felt like someone was trying to rip my pelvis apart. I was thinking about trying a support belt. Don't really know what else to do but sit
  • I have it this time around, although I remember it being worse last pregnancy (but that might be because I felt it much later?)
    This time I am more proactive about it. Seeing a chiro every 2 weeks, I just invested in a maternity belt and I will ice my pelvis and tailbone at night. I also have a yoga ball I sit on to relieve the pressure.
    My trigger seems to be "overdoing it" ie.. long grocery trips, not resting in between cleaning the house. Baby is already head down, so I feel like that has a huge impact on the pressure.
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • I had it with my first pregnancy and in have it with this one too. It's horrible! It's worse this time I think because with my first I wasn't working and this time around I'm walking alot at work. Some days it's not completely bad but most days i feel it with every step I take. Recently it's been getting worse to where it feels bruised on top of the regular pain.
  • Like PP have said try to keep your knees together when you get out of bed or the car. Increased activity seems to make things worse for me. Putting a cold pack wrapped in a tea towel on top of my pubic bone for 15 min or so at night seems to help some. If I am having a lot of trouble a warm bath, Tylenol, followed by an ice pack in bed is they only way I can get the pain to calm down.
  • I have it. It's so bad that I quit working as a hairstylist. Even standing for a couple of hours put me in crippling pain. The only thing that gives some relief is icing my pubic area. This is my 3rd child and first experience with this. I have been going to PT, it doesn't help the pain, but we are working on strengthening my pelvic floor for delivery.
  • @wrappingmama I am a hairstylist also and I'm in so much pain I'm thinking of canceling Decembers bookings.... I feel so guilty about it though but it so hard, I waddle and I'm sore and I've lost the love for my job so I'm probably not working as best I can anyhow...
  • You guys might also try a chiropractor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020 
  • Does anyone have a pain that feels like a pinching in their groin? I feel like someone is just oinching me in my groin at all times. It's been 2 weeks since my initial horrible pain and still can't walk normal and hurts when I get up. Soreness goes down the inside of my thigh too.
  • The ladies who have purchased a pelvic girdle... is there a brand you recommend?
  • What's the difference between SPD and RLP? I just assumed I was experiencing RLP, but I experience pain in my groin and pubis whenever I roll over in bed, get out of bed or off the couch, lift my legs to put on/take off pants, and to a lesser degree when I walk around. When I get up I am sore and stiff and limp around a little before it passes. The pain from rolling over or getting off the couch is sometimes painful enough that I need to pause for a moment (and moan) before it passes enough for me to continue. I am 29+2. Does this sound like RLP or SPD? I haven't asked my doc about it, I just assumed it was a normal sucky pregnancy thing.
  • emzie54 said:

What's the difference between SPD and RLP? I just assumed I was experiencing RLP, but I experience pain in my groin and pubis whenever I roll over in bed, get out of bed or off the couch, lift my legs to put on/take off pants, and to a lesser degree when I walk around. When I get up I am sore and stiff and limp around a little before it passes. The pain from rolling over or getting off the couch is sometimes painful enough that I need to pause for a moment (and moan) before it passes enough for me to continue. I am 29+2. Does this sound like RLP or SPD? I haven't asked my doc about it, I just assumed it was a normal sucky pregnancy thing.

It sounds like you have SPD. It's the same for me. Every time in roll over in bed, get out of bed, put my pants on, most days I feel it with every step.
  • Thank you so much for your feedback @Chelsey092. I googled after I saw your response, and it sounds like I definitely have SPD. It seems like there isn't a whole lot to be done about it. I haven't had great experiences with chiropractors in the past, but see that that is recommended. I was a little concerned from having read that there is a chance of damage to the pelvis during childbirth and ongoing pelvic pain after delivery.
  • I had it with my first pregnancy as well and it did go away soon after delivery but everybody is different.
  • **Lurking from D15**  I'm glad I found this thread. I was on bed rest this whole week due to back spasms, and pain radiating to my knees. My right leg kept giving out on me too. Thankfully my mom and my husband were around during these instances, so I didn't fall on my face. Plus the whole getting stuck in random positions. It was terrible. I started going back to my chiropractor, as I recently learned that he sees pregnant patients. It has made a WORLD of a difference. It took a bit a rest and 2 adjustments, so far, but I can walk on my own and function now. So I get to go back to work. 

I don't know your specific situation, but I wasn't diagnosed, at least not yet anyway. But I was told that therapy is the best bet and correcting this issue. So at least 2x weekly I see my chiropractor. The OB and Chiropractor are working together to decide if they need a third opinion, and for me to have a C-section. Maybe therapy is an option for you to get more comfort? Have you looked into seeing a chiropractor? 

• @ashhsa I don't know how anyone could possible stand doing hair with this. If you can afford to not work, don't. In my experience so far if I over do it just at home, I'm in bed or on the couch for 2 days. I used to work 10-12 hours per day in the salon, do standing isn't new! Thankfully my clients were super supportive.
    PP that suggest chiro, even my chiro says there is absolutely nothing that can be done with a separated pubic bone.
  • Thanks to everyone who responded. It feels better knowing I am not alone. My husband thinks I am nuts when I am on the recliner, sitting on my bag of ice.
  • @wrappingmama I'm throwing in the towel. It has gotten to the point where I'm crying myself to sleep at night. I can't function at all. I'm in agony. I'm going to have to do my wedding bookings but I can't do anymore than that unfortunatly. I might try a chiro... Anything is worth a try
  • You ladies make me feel so much better about what I'm going through! I'm sorry we're all in so much pain but I don't feel so crazy now.
  • Don't feel crazy! It's the most horrible pain. My husband has been helping to take of my pants and socks at the end of the day because I can't bend that way.
  • Ugh my mom totally freaked me out by saying "oh you better hope it goes back to normal after the baby is born". Like wtf I wasn't worried before but now I am! I can't handle this pain forever.
  • This is my third pregnancy that reached third trimester but my first dealing with this type of pain. For me, RLP has been a sharp pain that comes and goes really fast but this new pain is more constant and terrible. It feels like my pelvis is going to fall apart and the baby is going to fall out whenever I stand up. I waddle and limp after first getting up. The doctor suggested chiropractic care and physical therapy.

Today my husband said he had no idea I was in pain. He said he noticed that I was moaning a lot but didn't realize it was because I was in pain. Haha like I was moaning in pleasure from pregnancy.
  • MamaFroFroMamaFroFro member
    edited November 2015
    ashhsa said:

@wrappingmama I'm throwing in the towel. It has gotten to the point where I'm crying myself to sleep at night. I can't function at all. I'm in agony. I'm going to have to do my wedding bookings but I can't do anymore than that unfortunatly. I might try a chiro... Anything is worth a try

::lurker from Jan16::

I am constantly crying. I still have 13 more weeks and have no idea how I'm going to make it. Everyone treats me like I'm exaggerating the pain but I can barely walk. Midwife just told me to take tylenol. I'm seeing PT tomorrow, saw Chiro last Friday and that didn't help.

Anyone know if c sections or unmedicated labor are better with this condition? I read epidurals can result in causing further damage :(

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• Hey team, I think this is what is happening to me right now. It's to the point that I couldn't get up off the couch until DH got home. I'm just wondering if it just all of a sudden starts or if it's normally a slow build over a couple weeks? I've had some pelvic pressure over the last couple weeks but NO WHERE near this severe. FTM so any advice as to how quickly it can become tear jerkingly painful. I'm calling my health line as well but I would like your opinions too

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MamaFroFro sorry you are feeling this way, I've no idea which birth scenario is best, I hadn't really thought about it, just trusting my doctor has I guess!!

@sarahbeara25 for me I had the inner thigh pain very very mildly for a long time, to the point where I mostly ignored it, but I'd have the odd day that was bad. Then after say 2 months of that it really quickly progressed to every day being bad. However, since I last posted about it probably about week ago, I finished work (well I still have a few weddings but I can't cancel those!!) and I can tell you, resting is helping. I limit myself to one or two tasks a day, and am almost on "couch rest". It still does hurt, but I'm not crying myself to sleep and writhing around trying to get comfortable anymore.
  • I too experienced milder more intermittent pain for months before it really became excruciating. I think a road trip that we took might have contributed to the flare up. Like pp I am also thrilled to say that I have experienced a little bit of relief in my symptoms (I was convinced it was just going to get worse not better). I have been icing and using a heating pad, sleeping with a pillow between my knees and one under my belly, trying to keep my knees together when I move, and trying to use my arms and upper body to help me turn. The pain is definitely still there, it has just become more manageable. I feel like there will probably be good days and bad days for the rest of the pregnancy.
  • I have had the same pain which for me felt more like a sudden onset one day rather than gradually noticing pain. I called the drs office after going for a brief walk with DH and I'm sure they thought it was funny how I described it because I told them I thought I broke my pelvis walking. I just bought a belly girdle so we'll see if or how much it helps. 
  • Mine has been a slow build up but it makes sense that it could be a sudden thing too because it involves misalignment or movement of the pelvic joints.
  • 3 weeks ago I got sharp pain and my groin and my doctor diagnosed it as a pulled groin. The pain is still awful on a daily basis. I have to keep my steps under 5,000 a day or I'm in excruciating pain. Even at 5,000 it still hurts to walk and I have to walk really slow. Laying down, moving my legs, getting up, lifting my leg up, getting dressed all hurts. Sucks
  • Sounds very much like this. I have got relatively no problems bending over, but struggle like crazy to put pants on. @ByeByeSpotts