May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

Let's hear 'em Mommas! image

Re: UO Thursday

• My UO is that I'm really not a fan of the mermaid and silver hair trends. It looks good on some people but it reminds me of the hunger games or something. It is just way too trendy for me. Makes me miss the good ol' days when crazy hair colors were reserved for edgy punks and goths.

What is the mermaid?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • LadySamLadyLadySamLady member
    edited October 2015
    @AnastasiaBeaverhausen09 It varies, examples below: imageimage

eta: why are these pics ginormous?
  • @LadySamLady Oh. I mean, maybe if you're Nicole Ritchie you can pull it off, but I bet 95% of people in Small Town USA just look ridiculous.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ^I didn't know soup tasting was even a thing.  I find that weird.

image        image

• @AnastasiaBeaverhausen09 it is really popular around NYC (especially Brooklyn) and hardly anyone is pulling it off...

@yogahh oh no! I am the queen of soup tasting at hale and hearty! I never try more than one but their open tasting policy makes my day... it's like a little lunch preview. I hate to admit it but I'll even try soups I've had before just to get a lil' snack before lunch... sorryyyyyyy
  • @AnastasiaBeaverhausen09 it is really popular around NYC (especially Brooklyn) and hardly anyone is pulling it off...

@yogahh oh no! I am the queen of soup tasting at hale and hearty! I never try more than one but their open tasting policy makes my day... it's like a little lunch preview. I hate to admit it but I'll even try soups I've had before just to get a lil' snack before lunch... sorryyyyyyy

Its ok. I still love you. I couldn't agree with you more about the hair color trend. TBH, odd color hair like green and blue kinda makes me gag a little. In college, a girl with green hair was in the cafeteria when I was. I almost threw up my lunch.

cat fail animated GIF

• About a year ago I was at a sandwich place (think Jimmy John's with soup) and I couldn't believe it when this guy asked to sample the soup!  I side eyed him because I've never seen that before.  Now, if a place had a open tasting policy, it's free game.  It's kind of like sampling fro yo in that case. 

I've always wondered if someone's gone into a fro yo place, tried every flavor, then left without getting one.
    Me: 27    DH: 30
    Married in 2011
    Baby 1: Stillborn at 27 weeks (April 2014)
    Baby 2: Due May 2016

• Everyone at work thinks I'm weird but I am do not like chocolate and peanut butter together. My husband loooooooves anything chocolate and peanut butter related but it makes me gag. 
    (Me) 30 & (DH) 32 {Together 11 years - Married 04.17.15}

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    TTC Baby #2 since 06/15 | BFP 9/4/15 | EDD 5/07/16

BabyGaga
  • @yogahh I'm with you on the "best friends" thing. And WTF to soup tasting; I didn't even know that was a thing.
  • @Jesse835235 ugh, my husband is the king of this. We were at my favorite coffee shop last night because they put lavender flavor in anything you want. I always get the lavender white hot chocolate on the rare occasion in downtown, it's the best thing ever. Anyway, they sell gelato as well. He's like "I've never had gelato before, I wanna try one of every flavor". After going "yummmm, mmmmm, ooooh ahhhh" he turns around and walks out! I was mortified and wanted to punch him in the jugular. AHHHHH
  • I can't think of one at the moment, but I am SO on board with all of y'alls. Can't stand weird hair, HATE bandwaggoners, soup tasting is odd, and English hard besties!

Except the chocolate and peanut butter thing. Yesssss to all the chocolate and peanut butter.

Me: 31 | DH: 33

DS1: 12.23.13 | DS2: 05.06.16

BFP: 06.30.19 | EDD: 3.9.20

**TW**
    TTC3: 11.18
    BFP: 02.05.19
    CP: 03.07.19
    *really traumatic recovery*

• My UO is that I don't like getting ultrasounds. They make me nervous as hell and I can never wait to get them over with and hear the doctor's comments. The thought of ever getting an elective ultrasound to find out sex early or to take home a video etc, is mind boggling to me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful for the technology and what it can tell us/prepare us for, but honestly, I am glad that I don't have to get one at every appointment. With my DD, we had ultrasounds all the time due to complications, and I think that might have turned me off to the excitement of seeing the baby. Aside from the NT scan and anatomy scan, just let me hear the heartbeat on Doppler every 4 weeks at the OB and I'm good to go. I feel like I'm very much in the minority in this respect.
  •  @ncm0328 OK that definitely made me laugh out loud!!  The best part is that he obviously liked it and then didn't want any. :):)

@Bluejay3030 I can definitely see where you're coming from.  My last pregnancy was 27 weeks I had over 25 ultrasounds and echocardiograms.  It takes away a lot of the blissful ignorance.

I also hate silver/mermaid colored hair.  Sorry, but I think only 0.00001% of people can actually pull it off, if that.
    Married in 2011

• @Jesse835235 yeah. His mentality was that I bought myself a $4 hot chocolate as a treat so he thought that was validation for his trying 15 flavors of gelato and leaving without buying any. Man's mentality. Lol
  • I can't wrap my head around Trunk or Treat. Yes, I understand that the purpose is to create a safe place for kids to trick or treat but I think it's a bit creepy and takes away from the fun of the whole event. Besides, if your child is too young to understand not to go in someone's house you shouldn't be letting them trick or treat alone.
  • @rlworzalla I am so with you on trunk or treat. Trunks make me think of kidnapping and dead bodies.

A city nearby me did an awesome thing where they took a huge space, like a fire hall, and had local business all make "house" booths out of cardboard. They set them up like streets. It was indoors, a safe environment, and still a trick or treating atmosphere. I thought it was adorable and a great idea.
  • I will admit, my hair has been all sorts of colors(started with dark purple after my loss in 2013), I'm currently growing out seafoamy colored tips haha.

My UO is I am NOT a sports fan whatsoever. I live in Oregon and my dad is a diehard Duck, so I get it, but i couldn't care less about the games. "Oh, lookit you sportsing so hard all over the place. Kick that guy and sports yourself to the goalpost!" Is about the extent of my commentary xD
  • @Jesse835235 I remember reading your story a while back, and I'm sure that impacted how you view a lot of the aspects of pregnancy. I'm sorry that you have the saddest reason to get where I'm coming from :(
  • I think the LuLaRoe leggings/tops etc are really ugly
  • My unpopular opinion is that some people are just not trainable. This comes after having a conversation with someone at work today that yes, half an hour really is 0.5 hours. This is with soeone who three of us have trained now since the beginning of 2013 and who still continues to struggle with the basics of doing their job.
  • schicksal said:
    My unpopular opinion is that some people are just not trainable. This comes after having a conversation with someone at work today that yes, half an hour really is 0.5 hours. This is with soeone who three of us have trained now since the beginning of 2013 and who still continues to struggle with the basics of doing their job.
    See my WTF from yesterday. My assistant has been on the job for a year and a half. Still has no idea what is going on. It is actually pretty frightening how dense some people can be.

cat fail animated GIF

• My probably very UO is that I don't like showers...I had a wedding shower forced upon me and I'm sure a baby shower is already in the works with my family. It's definitely NOT that I don't appreciate them (or the gifts), but I am a pretty quiet, reserved person for the most part and detest having to fake strong positive emotions. Just the thought of sitting in a circle while everyone stares at me and my reactions while I open every single gift is just paaaaainful. Let my husband do it--he loves attention ;)
  • Bluejay3030Bluejay3030 member
    edited October 2015
    schicksal said:

My unpopular opinion is that some people are just not trainable. This comes after having a conversation with someone at work today that yes, half an hour really is 0.5 hours. This is with soeone who three of us have trained now since the beginning of 2013 and who still continues to struggle with the basics of doing their job.

Truth. This sad reality is brought to my attention daily in my job.

Edit: typo
  • @TXmamatobe seriously, amen. If you have to ask bump or blump, it's likely a blump.
  • So apparently my UO is that I really don't think baby showers for 2nd (or more) babies are really that big of a deal. I mean, full blown, huge shower, maybe. But most that I have ever been to are more of a sprinkle...and I see nothing wrong with them. There are so much worse things in this world to be offended by, I'm not going to be offended by or judge something so minor.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• Thanks @Bluejay3030... :)
    Married in 2011

• My uo is that most pregnant women are total psychopath bitches. I mean seriously! I've been around some crazy pregnant women and I always swore I'd never be that woman but dang! I'm even surprising myself! Talk about a test of your marriage, seriously starting to feel bad for my spouse along with others.
  • Haha! I'm so guilty of the best friend comment. In my defense we've been bff's since 8th grade, 22 years, back when kids designated their bf. It's just kind of stuck. I realize it totally sounds childish. Old habits die hard...
    #1 Claire 12.17.13 & #2 EDD 5.11.16

• ncm0328 said:
    My uo is that most pregnant women are total psychopath bitches. I mean seriously! I've been around some crazy pregnant women and I always swore I'd never be that woman but dang! I'm even surprising myself! Talk about a test of your marriage, seriously starting to feel bad for my spouse along with others.
    Direct quote from my DH: "I know you'll regret killing me...some day..."

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• @countrygrl5533 haha! My husband is in the navy and leaves for the whole month of November on Sunday. He's so excited to get away from me for a month. He's like "I'm sure eventually I will miss you, but not right away". He's also determined that we won't start trying for number 2 until he's due to deploy so he will miss out on the whole super irritable and evil pregnant wife stage. Haha
  • Am hating announcing to people. He gets a handshake (wtf?!) and I then became baby carrying vessel for next six months. I know people excited but I am pretty private so constant questions just feel intrusive!
    Feel like big bad B but would love it if I didn't have to let all these people into my business!
    Doesn't mean I don't want or love bub just that I feel like to everyone else I am now just a container!!!!
    Not sure that makes sense? Preg insomnia also kicking in!
  • Too lazy to ask Google... what's a blump?
  • @schicksal bloat + bump = blump It's that stage of pregnancy where you kinda look pregnant from bloat but it's too early for it to actually be a baby bump.
  • I don't like this fruit thing on TB. It's misleading. I'm 12 weeks, and TB tells me baby is "the size of a plum!" Yet it also tells me that baby is likely around .49 ounces. Then it can't be a plum!! That's too small!!
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited October 2015
    I get some people are musical. BUT singing out loud and not quietly while in a room with people with no windows and doors literally makes me feel homicidal. I thought maybe my other coworkers would jump on this bandwagon with me but no......They're all now chiming in... Off key. FML

ETA: we have doors but just doors hat lead to ore doors that lead to more doors with long hallways. I feel like I have no quick escape
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Funny update to my UO: DF came home today and was like LET'S GO ON A DATE! So we walked to a pub a few blocks away, cause I'm craving their quesadillas (impatiently waiting as i type this). Well its game night and apparently the Ducks are playing the sun devils for the first time in like 3 years, so it's packed and noisy. Yaaaaaaay. At least I have a Shirley Temple to keep me entertained xD
  • I said it somewhere before, but the fruit thing continues to confuse me. Like when a recipe calls for one large onion and I go to the store and they have all sizes of the things. Does large mean the biggest one I can find? Somewhat above average? If only small are available does that mean I now need two?