UO = Unpopular opinion.

Dish your most unpopular opinions. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    Similar to @noelietrex we haven't told our parents yet, plan to do so the weekend after our first U/S... I know my Mom isn't going to want me to tell the extended family at Thanksgiving (I'll be 10 weeks at that point) but I really want to... I can't wait until Christmas to tell them... and its family! (I'm fighting with my mom in my head about this already haha) but I know when my cousin announced at like 8 weeks my Mom was shocked & told me that they really shouldn't have done that because it was too early...I just don't see the point in hiding it from family and one of the charts that people were posting about (if you search on these boards changes of not having a miscarriage) it seems that chances after 10 weeks are the same as after 12 weeks etc? 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm telling people close to me too.  I'm waiting till Nov 21 for a big reveal to family, but I have told a lot of friends already.  I think people want to wait because they don't want others to always give them the "I'm sorry look" and then have to relive it.  But I know for myself I want those people to know because I want to be able to talk to people about it.  If I kept it inside I think that would be 10X's harder for me.  But then again I've never had a mc (God willing I never will) so I guess people that have would have better insight about it.  
    Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• Options
    My UO... I don't like Skittles.  CRAZY and oh so Controversial I know!!!! (I couldn't think of anything else lol)  ;) 
    Anniversary: 10/10/09
    DS: 11/21/14
    DD: 7/5/16

• Options
    I won't be telling people until 10 weeks or so, for various personal reasons. That appears to be more of a UO today! I'm not going to lie, I side-eyed my SIL who told me while the pee stick was still wet (and her and I aren't close!)
  • Options
    @WinchestertoPittsburghimage

I'm so sorry to hear of your losses, and I agree, I'm going to tell the family! Old traditions of silencing ourselves for months be damned!! 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    Even though I breastfed both my boys, I absolutely hated it.  It was not a bonding experience for me.  

Have to agree with the thoughts on miscarriage as well.  I've been through two....the one I lost at 8 weeks wasn't any less a part of our family than the one I lost at 17 weeks.
  • Options
    My family already knows ie my mom, step dad, brother and sister. My mom knew I was from the start can't hide anything from that woman. DH wants to wait to tell his family so I said we can tell them on thanksgiving if he wants to he can,that's when I'm telling my dad. Everyone else, probably around Christmas. No real reason just picked it out. The MC thing is scary but I don't want to spend this time being worried about what could happen and enjoy what is going on right now, because if something was meant to happen then it was meant to happen, no control over some things in our lives as much as we want to be. 

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    UO: I didn't even attempt to breastfeed my DS and I still don't plan to with this one. I just didn't want to. Apparently I'm the devil for not even trying. I don't say anything to moms who want to breastfeed- you do you. I'll support your choice. It'd be great if people stopped caring about how I feed my babies as long as they get fed.
  • Options
    I think cats are way better than dogs. My cats greet me at the door every day, chirp at me in the window when my car pulls in the driveway, snuggle, and I can leave them home for the night/weekend without worry of messes when we travel.
  • Options
    I'm not going to nurse or pump with this baby. I hated it. I'm going to start with formula. I nursed DS for 6 weeks and switched to formula. Pumped 2 weeks with DD and switched to formula.
  • Options
    I'm totally on board with telling closest family and friends about pregnancy early on. These are the people you trust in good times and bad. Traditions of keeping "women's issues" (MC, breast cancer, etc) a secret stems from very old school and prejudicial practices.

My UO:
    I think the Halloween "switch witch" is not only ridiculous, but lazy parenting. I say this both as a parent and an elementary educator who has worked with hundreds of families.

Children deserve to be given clear guidelines, limits, and boundaries and parents have the responsibility to communicate these. Avoiding setting limits by tricking children and buying them toys sets the child up to feel entitled and to throw tantrums when the day comes that an adult must tell them "no."

In short, if don't want your kid to eat candy on Halloween, don't take them trick-or-treating. Or set the limit/expectation beforehand (you may eat 3 pieces now and save the rest for x) and stick to it!
  • Options
    knitmama said:

I'm totally on board with telling closest family and friends about pregnancy early on. These are the people you trust in good times and bad. Traditions of keeping "women's issues" (MC, breast cancer, etc) a secret stems from very old school and prejudicial practices.

My UO:
    I think the Halloween "switch witch" is not only ridiculous, but lazy parenting. I say this both as a parent and an elementary educator who has worked with hundreds of families.

Children deserve to be given clear guidelines, limits, and boundaries and parents have the responsibility to communicate these. Avoiding setting limits by tricking children and buying them toys sets the child up to feel entitled and to throw tantrums when the day comes that an adult must tell them "no."

In short, if don't want your kid to eat candy on Halloween, don't take them trick-or-treating. Or set the limit/expectation beforehand (you may eat 3 pieces now and save the rest for x) and stick to it!

What in the world is a "switch witch"?
  • Options

knitmama said:

My UO:

It's a witch you give your Halloween candy to. When you wake the morning the witch has left you a toy or non-candy prize in exchange.
  • Options
    The switch witch sounds weird, I have definitely never heard of that. I also agree about sharing before 12 weeks, plus I don't think I could possibly keep the secret for 12 weeks. 

My UO- I dont like Toms shoes. I think they are ugly. I was in a wedding and the bride gave them to us as a bridal shower gift, I promptly re-gifted it. I know everyone says they are super comfy, but I just feel like my feet look like mummys. 
  • Options
    UO: I didn't even attempt to breastfeed my DS and I still don't plan to with this one. I just didn't want to. Apparently I'm the devil for not even trying. I don't say anything to moms who want to breastfeed- you do you. I'll support your choice. It'd be great if people stopped caring about how I feed my babies as long as they get fed.

This is my first pregnancy and I have zero intentions of breastfeeding. I don't want to, I don't like the thought of it, and I'm not going to be pressured into doing it. I'm glad whenever I see other people who talk openly about their choice not to breastfeed. :)
  • Options

This is my first pregnancy and I have zero intentions of breastfeeding. I don't want to, I don't like the thought of it, and I'm not going to be pressured into doing it. I'm glad whenever I see other people who talk openly about their choice not to breastfeed. :)
    Honestly, I want to try just because it's free/cheaper than formula and i'm going to let that little guy suck all the fat out of me that they can!!! 

The 12 week thing, I'M DYING!!! I found out on Sunday and I want to tell EVERYONE!! not really a social media thing, but the people i know at work, all my friends, family etc.  Family gets to know at thanksgiving because we live in different states. I'm currently working on performance evaluations with my boss and i want to tell him so badly!! I think he needs to know so if i'm acting weird or he sees me go to more dr appointments it's not fishy. I have a party next weekend and i want to tell all my friends there!! I'm going nuts!!
    Me: 27
    DH: 29
    BFP: 10/25/2015
    EDD: 7/5/2015!!

• Options
    When referring to unborn babies, I use sex/gender interchangeably. For example, I hope to find out the gender of my baby around 16 weeks (not anatomy scan, totally plan on paying for an extra scan)
  • Options
    My DS was suppose to have a school field trip tomorrow. It's canceled because of the possibility of rain. I'm now considering just letting him stay home and hang out with him.
  • Options
    knitmama said:
    I'm totally on board with telling closest family and friends about pregnancy early on. These are the people you trust in good times and bad. Traditions of keeping "women's issues" (MC, breast cancer, etc) a secret stems from very old school and prejudicial practices. My UO: I think the Halloween "switch witch" is not only ridiculous, but lazy parenting. I say this both as a parent and an elementary educator who has worked with hundreds of families. Children deserve to be given clear guidelines, limits, and boundaries and parents have the responsibility to communicate these. Avoiding setting limits by tricking children and buying them toys sets the child up to feel entitled and to throw tantrums when the day comes that an adult must tell them "no." In short, if don't want your kid to eat candy on Halloween, don't take them trick-or-treating. Or set the limit/expectation beforehand (you may eat 3 pieces now and save the rest for x) and stick to it!
    It's a witch you give your Halloween candy to. When you wake the morning the witch has left you a toy or non-candy prize in exchange.
    OMG i didn't even know this existed. Why just why would anyone do this. i agree just set guidelines.
  • Options
    When I take my DD (15 months old) around the block to trick or trick/basically just show off how cute she is... I'm making sure she gets candy so I can eat it all!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    tinypikachutinypikachu member
    edited October 2015

knitmama said:

knitmama said:

My UO:

OMG i didn't even know this existed. Why just why would anyone do this. i agree just set guidelines.

----------QBF-----------
    My nephews would cry their eyes out if this happened at their house. Their parents let them eat candy, but a limited amount of pieces on Halloween night and save the rest for later. They love having candy for days (or weeks) that they can go back to! You get toys on christmas and birthdays or even when someone visits (we spoil them and give them toys all the time), you only get all that candy on Halloween and it's exciting for them.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of the switch witch. I agree. Limit your kids. Parent up.

My UO is that I think I could keep my pregnancy under wraps forever. My husband and my best friend know and I am dragging my feet to tell anyone else. Maybe it's because it's my own little secret that no one else has?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016