March 2016 Moms
Options

Flu Shot Help

Im 20 weeks along and it being flu season and as reccommended by my doctor I went to receive my flu shot at our local Rite Aid pharmacy. After filling out the papers, the pharmacist says "I don't know which one to give you since your pregnant." And I asked what she meant and she said "I don't know which brand is better than the others for you." So she emailed someone to ask and after an hour of waiting no reply. So I called my Dr and the nurse said to just get the standard flu shot........which didn't help me when the pharmacist was saying that some brands were better than others...and eventually she picked the one with the least amount of preservatives in it...

So my question is, has any one done research on if It matters what brand you get? Or does it all do it's job the same. And is my little one going to be fine with having the flu shot.

Re: Flu Shot Help

• Options
    The biggest thing is to NOT get the nasal spray. However, I have it written down on a paper somewhere from my OB, that there is a specific type she prefers for pregnant women. I'll look tonight and get back to you.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @cmerribury that would be great thank you! I called the pharmacy where I got the shot and they said it was Afluria. So I am hoping that this one is okay.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not to be an ass but does it matter if you already got it? What I mean is, you can't take it back so I'm not fully understanding unless you decided not to get it while you were there.
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options

If the pharmacist was that unsure of what to give, I would not have gotten it there.

Yeeeeah. Alarm bells! I'm sure it's fine OP though :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kneill15kneill15 member
    edited October 2015
    @kynbar5 guess it really doesnt...but the question was more for a peace of mind thing rather than a wanting to take it back thing. No need to be rude....
  • Options
    Both my doctor, and HR at my job told me there is a flu shot for pregnant women without thimerosal, which is better for pregnant women. So i assume the brand without thimerosal is the one to get.

by the way, "Thimerosal is a mercury-containing organic compound (an organomercurial)"
  • Options
    Wasn't trying to be rude, as I clearly stated "not to be an ass" but honestly, like the pp have stated- if the pharmacist wasn't even sure what to give you, then maybe that should have been your clue to walk away. I assure you, there could have been much more rude responses than that.
  • Options
    Both my doctor, and HR at my job told me there is a flu shot for pregnant women without thimerosal, which is better for pregnant women. So i assume the brand without thimerosal is the one to get.

by the way, "Thimerosal is a mercury-containing organic compound (an organomercurial)"
    Yep, this was it, OP, thimerosal. I guess you can research and see if the shot you got had that. If it did, I'd check with your OB.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for all of the replies! The Afluria doesn't contain the mercury as long as it's a single dose, so I guess we're in the clear! Sorry for the argumentative comment, I was just posting as a concerned momma to be, not trying to be mean.
  • Options
    oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited October 2015
    My OB only orders the kind with mout thimerosal, but I am not a huge fan of the idea of getting vaccinated at a pharmacy, either.
    And @kynbar5 definitely wasn't rude. She was just asking what most of us were already wondering.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    @kynbar5 I owe you an apology. I'm sorry I was just frustrated at the time with the situation, and concerned.
  • Options
    It's no problem at all and no apologies needed. :)
  • Options
    =D> @kneill15 cool move, pulling up the BGPs! <3
    And like someone else said, i am sure everything will be fine! the only thing I've heard is that the flumist nasal spray is a no-go while preggo bc its live virus, so maybe one injection might be slightly better than the others, I'm sure it's not a huge deal, if you're comfortable getting it to begin with. :)

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    They're all fine, really. No preservatives is better, arguably, but there's no issue there either. 

The main thing is to not get the nasal mist, as the influenza virus in that is only attenuated, not inactivated. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker