Baby Names

Sibling Names - all start the same, or change it up?

We have two kids with names that start with same letter.  Now baby #3 is on the way and it seems odd to use the same starting letter again, but also seems odd to NOT use the same letter again.  Thoughts?  We have one boy, one girl, and this baby will be another boy, if that matters...
DS1 9/2008 * DD 8/2011 * EDD DS2 3/2016

Re: Sibling Names - all start the same, or change it up?

• Did you do the first two intentionally? If yes - do the third intentionally. If not, name #3 whatever you want. That's my vote!
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• Different. Two can be written off as a coincidence, but I think three is worth a side eye

• Loading the player...
  • I don't think it'd be odd either way unless the names are too matchy. I'd probably use a different letter.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • What are your LO's names? I don't want my kids to start with the same letter but I always find myself loving "A" names for girls, so that may now happen!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I'm in the exact same situation! I have a boy and a girl both names start with the same letter. Pregnant with another boy. DH is dead set on using the same letter but I'm on the fence about it.
  • I would say not to even think about it.  Search for the name you love, and if it happens to start with the same letter as your first two children, then go with it.  If it doesn't, then no big deal either.

• i'm friends with someone who has 4 girls she named the first 3 with 'M' names and the last with an 'E' name i kinda wish she had stuck it out. If you can find a name with that letter that you love i say go for it :)
  • Generally a lurker, but wanted to put my two cents in.

I have 3 siblings. 2 of us start with the same letter and 3 of us start with the same sound. It wasn't intentional and no one comments on it. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married: 04/05/15
    TTC since: 02/16/16

• I vote do the same letter. My DHs siblings' names all start with the same letter and then his is different, and it just doesn't flow nicely when you're saying all their names and get to his.
  • I hate the matching first letter thing, personally. I've not seen it done in a classy way, personally. That is not to say it can't be done. I just haven't seen it.

Since you asked, my vote would be different, 100%
  • If I had two with the same letter, I'd give the 3rd baby the same letter too, unless I couldn't find any name I liked that started with that letter.
  • I am not a fan of matchy names. I would definitely use a different letter to change it up.
  • I hate the matching first letter thing, personally. I've not seen it done in a classy way, personally. That is not to say it can't be done. I just haven't seen it.

Since you asked, my vote would be different, 100%

Can you think of an example of what you would consider a classy way to do it ? Not trying to be snarky, genuinely courious.
  • My sisters and I are Megan (me), Melissa and Amanda. My mom got "oh, will you call her Mandy" a few times, but that was it. It's never been an issue at all for Amanda to have a different initial,
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PPs that more than two siblings with matching first initials gets a little Duggar/Kardashian-esque. I would side-eye it big time. In addition to choosing terrible, trendy names, my SIL's sons all have the same exact initials. I cringe all the time.
  • Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of - and my cousins are a family of four with all the same letter. My brother and I are the same letter, and my other cousins are the same letter. (Each family has a different letter, 4 B's, 2 J's, 2 K's, but still!).  I'm really torn.  Also considering a nickname for the third that is first and middle initial - so we have two A's and then this one would be nicknamed A.J. But yeah, my favorite name is two syllables and my other two A's are also two syllables, so it'd flow but be really matchy. 

We'll see if DH can come up with any names and save the day! lol. Thanks for the feedback.  
    DS1 9/2008 * DD 8/2011 * EDD DS2 3/2016
  • I say just pick your favorite name and don't worry about the letter. Is this your last child? If you stick with the letter theme, are you willing to stick to it with future children?

We seem to love A names in general but there are a few other names at the top of my list that don't start with A. We plan to just always name our favorite name at the time (unless it rhymes with or is too matchy with previous siblings).

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• SmrBrd2012SmrBrd2012 member
    edited October 2015
    My husband is one of 3 J named kids and people make fun of it quite a bit. People also confuse their names among them as well. My hubs is always called his brothers name.