January 2016 Moms

28 weeks weight gain

I found out today that I've gained nearly 25 lbs already. My weight has shot up since my last appointment 4 weeks ago. I'm feeling really discouraged but just planning on being smarter with food choices. I typically go on walks regularly but I haven't been for the last few weeks. i should be able to turn things around but could use any advise! Thanks!

Re: 28 weeks weight gain

• I've noticed I have weeks where my weight shoots up & weeks where it doesn't change at all. Don't stress. You should still be able to be close to 35 lbs weight gain which is still on target.
  • You are on target. They say as long as you stay under 40 you are within "normal l" range. That being said, some people gain more, sone less. You'll gain what you need to. You'd be supposed how quickly it cones off after :)
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're having a normal pregnancy it's never a bad idea to make good diet choices and get some exercise.. but with that said what pp's said is true. You're doing fine and it will come in waves like that. Enjoy your walks, fruits and veggies, and copious snickers bars. At least I will..
  • If you gain a pound a week you'll only have gained 37lbs, don't worry :)
  • I'm at 29 weeks and went to the Dr yesterday and was at 25lbs.  I was thin before the pregnancy and still fit into my xs maternity clothes with no problem.  I figure if I'm starting to "outgrow" my clothes in places other than my belly I'll be concerned, until then if the Dr doesn't say anything and I'm eating healthy (most of the time) then no worries.  It is scary to see the scale go up that much though! 
  • BabyRut2015BabyRut2015 member
    edited October 2015
    I have also gained in spurts...then it stayed the same a few weeks, then another spurt ....

I'm 29+4 and at a 23 lb weight gained and feeling pretty damn good about it lol.

At this point, we can fairly accurately project and predict our end numbers....like I know I'm going to gain more than 25-30 but I'm not going to probably gain more than 40 at this rate.... hopefully lol

If everyone is making generally healthy choices and staying relatively active, no one should be too worried about numbers, like PP said, you gain what you need.
  • My weight has definitely been changing in spurts! I've had pretty consistent eating habits, so I assume my body is just storing what it needs depending on baby's developmental stage. I agree it can be startling, though. My weight has never fluctuated much, so I've struggled a bit with feeling like my body is just out of control. I try to remind myself that it knows what it's doing. Creating an entire human is a complicated business! 
  • Thanks for all of the support, ladies!  I feel much better today.  I can tell that baby girl has grown a lot in the last few weeks.  I can feel movement more and more all of the time.  So I guess the large weight gain should have been expected but I was shocked!  I admit I've been feeling some guilt about the halloween candy in my office!  Now I just have another good reason to stay out of it.  :) 
  • I am at 29 weeks and have gained 28 pounds. Have only gained one pound in the last four weeks though after implementing a smarter eating plan and started walking 3-4 KM a day. My doctor said if I gain another 5 pounds she is fine with that.
  • I was pretty overweight to start with and I'm still 10 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight. I've stayed exactly the same weight for the past 7 weeks. I'm eating well, exercising, and my belly is growing while the rest of me is shrinking. I'm not trying to lose weight, specifically, but I'm more aware of what I'm eating, and therefore eating much healthier than I normally do.
  • I'll be 31wks in two days and I'm already up by 44!! But I should've be surprised bc I have not exercised since I was 4mo. :((
    I plan to start now hopefully something will work where I can just maintain it.

• I'm at 28.5 weeks and have gained 25 pounds. I was an avid cyclist before I got pregnant and stopping hit me hard. We're still in the normal range so don't worry! Just make good choices and keep as active as possible. I'm shooting for a pound or less a week until the end. Give yourself a goal after the baby comes to get the weight off. I plan on training for a triathlon or a big 160 mile ride that my state has every year.
  • leap_frogleap_frog member
    edited November 2015
    27 weeks and up 18 lbs. I'm consistently gaining a lb a week. I usually gain 30-40 so I look at it as I'm right on track. No stressing about weight! You're growing a whole person.
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • I'm scared to get on the scale. Appt is Friday!
  • I've been gaining in spurts, but up only 19 lbs at 29 weeks. I gained 6 lbs between weeks 14 and 20 but only 4 between 20 & 24 and zero between 24 & 28. I am trying to stay between 25 & 30 lbs total since I was overweight to start with.
  • I was down from my pre-preg weight until my last appointment. I shot up 10 lbs (ish). It was a quick weight gain but my doc wasn't too concerned. I mostly attribute it to the fact that I'm not always feeling icky anymore and actually have things I WANT (used to be just a general ick to all food). On that note I definitely had a bit of weight to give (I was about 10-15 lbs overweight pre-preg).

I have been trying desperately to not eat cr*p lately though... I just LOVE eating salty/sweet/fatty goodness. Carrots are really no comparison lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • 30 weeks and up 28 pounds... Hoping to keep it no more than 35 pounds!!!
  • At 28 weeks I was up 35 pounds. :( My pre-pregnancy weight was 100 pounds, so that's apparently a lot. It's depressing but I don't feel like I've gained that much... I just have a super big belly now, bigger boobs, and a bigger butt. My doctor's not worried but said I should try not to gain any more. So many weeks to go, how can I not gain any more? :(
  • 28 weeks & 18 pounds so far.
  • I'm up 25lb at 28 weeks too. Alot of it depends on your weight pre pregnancy too. My doc isn't worried since my bmi was 18.5 when I started. I worked out alot pre pregnancy and I mainly now just do walks and eat healthy. the weight keeps going up. It's all in my boobs (I went from a size b to d cup) and stomach. Likes others above I still fit into my xs maternity clothes and just purchased a size 0 gap maternity work pants so I figure it's OK. (Haha I'm still convincing myself that its OK too! ) Just keep going on walks, and eat healthy. We are still in the range of normal weight gain.

I try not to say it to anyone else because my friends who are struggling to get pregnant hate when pregnant people complain about weight gain because we are lucky enough to have a baby in here.
  • RiiHavingBabyRiiHavingBaby member
    edited November 2015
    Pre pregnancy I was in the normal BMI range for my height, At 31 weeks I am 23lbs up! My Dr always says she things I'm right on track with my weight, especially for a person who has been vomiting daily, sometimes more than once a day my entire pregnancy. Hope the vomiting ends soon! Wish me luck!
  • I'm 30 weeks and have gained 18lbs so far.  Hoping to keep it steady these last 10 weeks and not put on more than the 10-12 the doctor said to anticipate.  With Thanksgiving and Christmas around the corner, I may be in trouble. =P
  • At 33wks I'm up 16lbs. I gained a total of 28lbs with DD1. I started out at 103 with #1 so moving up to 131 wasn't so bad. I was in love with the weight gain because I always needed it. Sadly, three weeks post baby I was back at 112 so I didn't get to keep any of the weight. Now with #2 I started heavier and just keep growing. It's a little much for me mentally, but I know it's okay and needed. Being small your entire life makes it hard to accept the fact that you gain so much during pregnancy.
  • I'm 30 weeks and up 21 pounds. I'm guessing I'll end up gaining around 30 pounds total or less. I seem to gaining about a 1/2 pound per week for about the last 2 months. So I guess I have about 5 pounds to go. 10 at the max in case I start to retain water. As of now, I haven't had any swelling.
  • miranderp said:

How the fuck are we (maybe just me) going to make it through thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years FEASTS without gaining a thousand pounds. I can only eat two bites at a time but family always eats and then leaves the food out on catering trays buffet style all damn day. I'm going to be grazing on turkey with gravy, stuffing with gravy, rolls with gravy, and turkey/roll sandwiches smothered in gravy for at least five days (thanksgiving, Christmas Eve/Christmas New Year's Eve/New Years) plus mother fucking left overs.

I'm done for.

I don't know you at all, but I'm certain I just fell in love! This made me laugh so hard! It's the truth. I say we're all screwed, but it'll be worth it. My family and my husband's family are both separated. Thanksgiving starts tomorrow for us and doesn't end until next Sunday with five total to go to. Christmas is always the same way too. I'll die from eating so much.
  • katymae08 said:

miranderp said:

How the fuck are we (maybe just me) going to make it through thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years FEASTS without gaining a thousand pounds. I can only eat two bites at a time but family always eats and then leaves the food out on catering trays buffet style all damn day. I'm going to be grazing on turkey with gravy, stuffing with gravy, rolls with gravy, and turkey/roll sandwiches smothered in gravy for at least five days (thanksgiving, Christmas Eve/Christmas New Year's Eve/New Years) plus mother fucking left overs.

I'm done for.

I don't know you at all, but I'm certain I just fell in love! This made me laugh so hard! It's the truth. I say we're all screwed, but it'll be worth it. My family and my husband's family are both separated. Thanksgiving starts tomorrow for us and doesn't end until next Sunday with five total to go to. Christmas is always the same way too. I'll die from eating so much.
    I'm planning on getting extra to-go (hey always send us home with this anyways) to freeze for when baby gets here.

Good luck with the five thanksgivings and five Christmases!