Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

New very early morning wake up time

My son is 8 months old and until last month started his day at 6am. (Too early for me, but doable). Since teething began he has decided to wake up every 2 hours and adopted a new early morning wake up time of anywhere from 4am-5am. None of the tricks get him back down and he is very unhappy. He generally stays up for a couple hours and is ready to crash. I believe the discomfort from teething has lessened and fear we have accidentally created some bad habits. Any ideas/tips/suggestions on how to move his wake up time to a little later? I am having a hard time (as I'm sure many people are!) waking up every 2 hours and then beginning the day at 5am. TIA.

Re: New very early morning wake up time

• Options
    Are you giving him anything for the teething pain? Also, what time does he go down at night? The earlier the bedtime, the better.
  • Options
    What happens when he wakes up every 2 hours? Is he feeding every time? Do you just calm him back to sleep?

If he's eating during some of those night wakings try to make sure that he's eating enough during the day. Sometimes they won't consume enough during the day and will make up for it by waking up and needing night feedings.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you giving him anything for the teething pain? Also, what time does he go down at night? The earlier the bedtime, the better.
    Yes he gets Tylenol. It is very obvious when it is bedtime if he is having mouth pain so we give it to him right away. 

He is usually down by 7:30, which is earlier than before. It is perplexing because he seems to go down relatively easy for the night, but the rest of the night is a different story.
  • Options
    What happens when he wakes up every 2 hours? Is he feeding every time? Do you just calm him back to sleep?

If he's eating during some of those night wakings try to make sure that he's eating enough during the day. Sometimes they won't consume enough during the day and will make up for it by waking up and needing night feedings.
    He wakes all the way up and I feed him. He seems to really want to eat at this time. 

During the day he is at an in-home daycare and he takes a few bottles (supplement with formula if he wants more) and solids. I think he is getting plenty to eat, but I will ask how much he is eating and if she can offer bottles/food more often.
  • Options
    Have you tried just leaving him in the MOTN when he wakes up crying?
  • Options
    I haven't gone through teething but my baby also wakes up that early. I nurse her and put her back in her crib and she goes back to sleep. I don't know what will work, but I can say that I think if I were you I would try leaving her in her crib until 6am- maybe coming in to check on her at certain intervals- and I would rule out that she doesn't need to nurse, need pain relief, need to be repositioned.

My baby book suggests you go to them 15 mins later every day until they are getting up at 6 so you can do it gradually if they are an early waker. 
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Have you tried just leaving him in the MOTN when he wakes up crying?
    This is what we do. I try not to go in until after 5am. (But haven't gone through teething yet)
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • Options
    NickiochNickioch member
    edited November 2015
    @karlimonster this sounds exactly like my nights right now, I feel you! Mine is almost 7 mo and goes to bed great (usually, and like a dream in comparison to how it used to be) at 7ish. He wakes around 11 but will go back to sleep with some comforting. Up at 1..3...then up again at 4/430 and my husband has gotten him to go back to sleep by putting him in the boppy and sleeping on the couch (so that I can get some sleep before work) until he's up for the morning feeding around 630/7. So it's essentially every 2 hours. It's gotten worse with the teething I think too. We use Motrin sometimes but I haven't noticed a difference and I don't want too much meds in his tummy all the time. And sometimes a natural oral gel but that doesn't seem to help either. It's rough. I have no answers just sympathy! You're not along out there in the night!