November 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone else expressing colostrum before giving birth?

My midwife suggested expressing and saving my colostrum before I have baby so I have a supply ready just incase it's needed. I started today and was so suprised to actually get 20ml.
Has anyone else started doing this? And how are you going with it?

Re: Anyone else expressing colostrum before giving birth?

• Options
    20ml? I do squeeze 2-3 drops out....but only when my breast are really tense. That seems to help. But i could stay a whole day and not express 20 ml ...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not recommended before 37 weeks because it can stimulate contractions but I was told to just stop if that happens. I've been leaking for the last few weeks and I had a huge supply of milk at first with my daughter so I guess I'm just blessed. It did take just over an hour 30 mins each side and I used my electric pump.
  • Options
    Never heard of this being a good idea
  • Options
    Only a few drops. I've also read not to do so, due to inducing contractions and early labor, like PP mentioned. Even if my insurance let me get the pump prior to birth, it's not really worth it to me.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I had to try after the childbirth class but the nurse said to not do it otherwise it could start labor for women who were in their last weeks. 
    I did get a drop so I just stopped when I saw it was functionning properly :) seemed to go out pretty easily, I was surprised.

• Options
    So colostrum expression is actually recommended for some with GD as it might help stabilize babies blood sugars when they come out, usually recommended 37 weeks on. Personally I haven't been doing it (38 and 2 today), but people in my GD group have been.
  • Options
    I've never heard of insurance companies holding out to give you your breast pump so that you don't use it early. That's ridiculous. I have heard of people with GD expressing early for health reasons, as other posters have mentioned. I personally am not expressing enough and don't really have a reason to try to early.
  • Options
    A lot of women with GD do it. I'm personally not.
    I wasn't diagnosed with GD with my daughter, although she was nearly 10lbs and with all the issues I had my midwife thinks I developed it late. And I never had any issues nursing her or with her sugars. I'm hoping for the same this time.

Most women who do it early hand express and not pump. Even if you're not leaking you'd be surprised how much you can get if you try. There are YouTube videos you can watch to learn how.
  • Options
    I've never heard of insurance companies holding out to give you your breast pump so that you don't use it early. That's ridiculous. I have heard of people with GD expressing early for health reasons, as other posters have mentioned. I personally am not expressing enough and don't really have a reason to try to early.
    My insurance didn't allow me to file a request for a pump until 30 days before my EDD. I think a lot of insurance companies follow a similar guideline; I don't know that it's to avoid pumping early, but rather to ensure the likelihood of the birth. 

I would not express early. Your supply will build based on your baby's needs once you start breastfeeding, and you may be messing with your initial colostrum supply by expressing early. To each their own, though. 

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• Options
    It came in during labor so I wasn't able to do that, but now I have full blown mastitis and am in an excruciating amount of pain! Hope nursing is a better experience than I have had for all of you!
  • Options
    1) My dr refused to write my medical note for the pump until baby was actually here.

2) I have never heard of this and find it very odd because colostrum is needed for babies first few days and then your milk will come in. Babies need that richness when they are born so if be concerned about jump starting my milk production and not having the colostrum available to my infant when nursing.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to pump the colostrum personally. Ideally you wouldn't want it stored in that form since baby only eats the colostrum until your mature milk comes in. The hormone to make mature milk isn't triggered until the placenta detached from what I understand so I don't really see how this can help your supply from the get fox Plus, their tummies are so tiny at birth - only about the size of a small marble. They really don't need to eat that much to begin with and their hunger is what triggers your supply in the grand scheme of things.

If where you're delivering at has a lactation consultant, I'd give them a call to see what they think.
  • Options

I wouldn't want to pump the colostrum personally. Ideally you wouldn't want it stored in that form since baby only eats the colostrum until your mature milk comes in. The hormone to make mature milk isn't triggered until the placenta detached from what I understand so I don't really see how this can help your supply from the get fox Plus, their tummies are so tiny at birth - only about the size of a small marble. They really don't need to eat that much to begin with and their hunger is what triggers your supply in the grand scheme of things.

If where you're delivering at has a lactation consultant, I'd give them a call to see what they think.

It doesn't help your milk production.
    The only people I've heard of doing it are those with GD to avoid giving formula to raise the baby's sugars if they get low. You only need 2-3 small syringes of it.
  • Options
    From what I've researched and been told by LC is that there are no immunities or benefits to colostrum before laboring. The act of laboring/birth makes the colostrum "liquid gold" so there's no need to pump and store for after
  • Options
    It was suggested to me as after birth I'll be increasing the dosage of my medication which means I can't breastfeed. But I've not tried it yet.
  • Options
    I've heard not to do this but I also haven't looked into it. No leakage here. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Our insurance company won't honor my OB's prescription for a breast pump until delivery, though I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting patients to pump early. As morbid as it sounds, I think they're actually wanting to make sure you deliver your baby, rather than provide an expensive machine to babies that don't make it. ❤️
  • Options
    oxley09 said:

Our insurance company won't honor my OB's prescription for a breast pump until delivery, though I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting patients to pump early. As morbid as it sounds, I think they're actually wanting to make sure you deliver your baby, rather than provide an expensive machine to babies that don't make it. ❤️

It's not to keep you from pumping. Part of it also has to do with the warranty. It starts the day you get the pump so if you have it for 5 months before the baby is born you've wasted half the warranty.
  • Options
    Contact your insurance on where to get your pump most medical supply stores don't even need the "prescription" to process your pump. My insurance said I need a prescription, a signed fax with a processing number from my doctor, before they start but the supply store handled that for me. I'm surprised ur doc won't write it until after seeing as the last thing ud want to be doing with a new baby is worring about getting ur pump.
  • Options
    ashsue89 said:
    Contact your insurance on where to get your pump most medical supply stores don't even need the "prescription" to process your pump. My insurance said I need a prescription, a signed fax with a processing number from my doctor, before they start but the supply store handled that for me. I'm surprised ur doc won't write it until after seeing as the last thing ud want to be doing with a new baby is worring about getting ur pump.

I agree, it seems like just another extra hassle for moms who need the pump right away. Our insurance company said they simply won't provide a pump until after delivery, but thankfully we won't need it right away since I'm a stay a home mom. I won't probably start to pump until we're well established and then it'll just be to relieve pressure, to increase supply, or in case we need a supply for some time away.
  • Options
    Well I had my baby and he's in the Nicu for breathing issues and antibiotics following a long early labour with waters breaking early. Thankfully I have been able to supply all my expressed colostrum to the staff (who were super excited I had it ready) and baby is doing brilliantly. Don't be put off because it's not well heard of it can really help baby to do this and I will be recommending this to every pregnant women I know.
  • Options
    I'm planning on hand expressing colostrum starting at 37 weeks as well. We anticipate a stay in the NICU, and I'll be getting a discography which requires radioactive dye injections and some sedation the day after birth so I won't be able to breast feed for several days after that. If I can store enough, we should be able to avoid formula or donor milk altogether. My OB, perinatoligist and I all agree there's more benefit than risk. My perinatoligist actually said there aren't any reputable studies that have shown antenatal expression to induce labor. Think about it - many mothers continue to nurse older children through delivery and in NORMAL cases there's no need to stop. Nipple stimulation and expression releases much less oxytocin than an orgasm typically does. Again, in NORMAL cases this is considered perfectly safe.

For those who are hand expressing - who is pumping and who is hand expressing? Do you find hand expressing gives better yeilds? What are you using to collect and store? I originally planned to just hand express into a spoon then suck it up into an infant syringe, but I'm already starting to squirt milk with impressive force so I don't think a spoon will work very well...
  • Options
    Okay I think that's enough internet for me for today...

Congrats on your LO!
  • Options
    The book "the womanly art of breastfeeding" explains that expressing colostrum will not jumpstart milk production, and could be beneficial IF you have problems with initial latches, etc.

The wall that allows your breastmilk to come only is let down after the baby is born (due to hormones produced).

Colostrum, like milk, is currently an endless supply. So it's preference.
  • Options
    oxley09 said:
    ashsue89 said:

I agree, it seems like just another extra hassle for moms who need the pump right away. Our insurance company said they simply won't provide a pump until after delivery, but thankfully we won't need it right away since I'm a stay a home mom. I won't probably start to pump until we're well established and then it'll just be to relieve pressure, to increase supply, or in case we need a supply for some time away.
    Ideally you won't pump until 4-6 weeks after birth if you plan to continue with BF. This will allow your supply to come in to match LO's needs so that pumping will be less likely to affect your supply. Six is better, but knowing I was going back to work at 6 weeks, my LC said I could start at 4 weeks to start to build a stash.

To OP, I would be very surprised if the staff was actually "excited" that you expressed prior to birth. I have never talked to a single LC or nurse that recommends it. I could understand potentially expressing right after birth, as PP stated, for latch issues, but not before.

I lurk. I snark. I offer sound advice if you're not BSC. You may not like me. I'm okay with it.

• Options
    I just talked to my OB about this and he said that, in his opinion, the risks far outweigh the pros. Prolonged nipple stimulation, like from hand or pumped pressing colostrum, is very likely to lead to much more intense contractions which could start labor too soon, lead to rupturing of fluids, and put baby in distress. It's also very commonly associated with longer, more physically demanding labors. To me, it's just not worth it. Especially since I know that I will be able to provide everything baby needs once he or she is here on their own terms.
  • Options
    Yes!

During my first pregnancy, I pumped from 38 weeks in hopes of inducing labor and avoiding induction (to no avail). I froze the colostrum just because it seemed wasteful not to but didn't anticipate needing it.
    I did not have GD but my son was big and I was advised to supplement due to his blood sugar. The staff was very excited when I told them I had the frozen colostrum, and we were able to avoid formula.
    I'm about to start pumping with this pregnancy even earlier at 37 weeks in hopes of having more of a reserve and jump starting labor sometime before a scheduled c section at 41 weeks.
  • Options
    The teacher at my breastfeeding class said this was an idea after 37 weeks just make sure you freeze it. In a case where something happens that you cant breast feed in the hospital you can bring it with you and request they use it instead of giving your baby formula.
  • Options
    oxley09 said:

I just talked to my OB about this and he said that, in his opinion, the risks far outweigh the pros. Prolonged nipple stimulation, like from hand or pumped pressing colostrum, is very likely to lead to much more intense contractions which could start labor too soon, lead to rupturing of fluids, and put baby in distress. It's also very commonly associated with longer, more physically demanding labors. To me, it's just not worth it. Especially since I know that I will be able to provide everything baby needs once he or she is here on their own terms.

You never know until the time comes if youll be able to breast fees baby may have trouble latching or they could have a tied tongue which prevents them from latching properly on the boob and many other circustances. My cousin had the tongue tied problem and had to give her baby formula until she got to pump.
  • Options
    agerstner said:

1) My dr refused to write my medical note for the pump until baby was actually here.

2) I have never heard of this and find it very odd because colostrum is needed for babies first few days and then your milk will come in. Babies need that richness when they are born so if be concerned about jump starting my milk production and not having the colostrum available to my infant when nursing.

Your milk doesnt come in until after babys fed. You WILL NOT start producing milk before baby is born.
  • Options
    alisonrmc said:
    You never know until the time comes if youll be able to breast fees baby may have trouble latching or they could have a tied tongue which prevents them from latching properly on the boob and many other circustances. My cousin had the tongue tied problem and had to give her baby formula until she got to pump.

Again, I'm still in the "why risk it?" camp? I personally would rather supplement with formula than risk putting myself or my baby in a harmful position during L&D. There is so much you can do for latch issues and even tongue tied babies. This is our 4th baby and I am well versed in overcoming breastfeeding issues. Pumping colostrum isn't necessarily the best or only option. To each their own, as long as you have looks at the pros as well as the cons.